Favorite Weapon

W

white mantis

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I've been studying 7 Star Praying Mantis kung fu for 1 year and 1 month and I was wondering whats yalls favorite kung fu weapon.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
white mantis said:
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I've been studying 7 Star Praying Mantis kung fu for 1 year and 1 month and I was wondering whats yalls favorite kung fu weapon.

I am not a kung fu stylest, but an old friend of mine did Kung Fu.

I admired the chain whip and the 3-sectional staff, which I can play with in a limited manner.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Well, so far I like the Bo staff the best. Then the chucks.Then the short stick.

As weapons I want to learn, the Kamas, the Sais, the 3-sectional staff...And of course, the sword...and possibly the cane. Other weapons I'm interested in learning is the chain whip and the rope dart.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
white mantis - On behalf of the Admin/Mod Team, WELCOME to MartialTalk!!!

I assume you are talking about Martial Arts weapons excluding the obvious handguns, Rocket Launchers and sub-machine guns?

Traditional weapons - Saber or Two-Headed Spear
Non-Traditional - Kenpo Double Sticks
Practical - Spyderco, Kinetic Opening Folder [Bram Frankin blade]

-Michael

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
white mantis said:
Welcome to the Boards! There is some very good discussion here, although the CMA section is not as active as I would like it to be!! Its also good to see other 7 star people here, may I ask who you study under?

I guess my favorite weapon as of now is probably still the staff, or maybe the broadsword. Its hard to pick a favorite, I'm really also enjoying the flute and cern sau do.

7sm

OP
W

white mantis

7starmantis said:
Welcome to the Boards! There is some very good discussion here, although the CMA section is not as active as I would like it to be!! Its also good to see other 7 star people here, may I ask who you study under?

I guess my favorite weapon as of now is probably still the staff, or maybe the broadsword. Its hard to pick a favorite, I'm really also enjoying the flute and cern sau do.

7sm
Awsome, I have just started learning the staff.

The sifu I study under is sifu steve cottrell.:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
white mantis said:
Awsome, I have just started learning the staff.

The sifu I study under is sifu steve cottrell.:asian:
Ah, I know of Sifu Cotrell very well. You guys aren't far from us then, I'm in Tyler TX. Welcome to the boards again.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

7starmantis said:
I figured you would say a nice old hung gar weapon! I really like watching someone who can actually use it well.

7sm

Ha ha...haven't played with one for years, but seemed to have a real affinity for it when I did.
Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the broadsword I just like the feel of it and the way it flows.
I'm trying to learn the 3 section staff but from all the bumps and brusies I have to admit that I have a loooooong way to go

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to say my favorite CMA weapon is also the broadsword. Double broadswords, to be exact. What can I say? No, they're not exactly practical. But flashy and smooth as can be. Something about it just appeals to me. I also like the 3-sectional staff as well. Its a weapon that will definitely keep you "honest".

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Ah, I know of Sifu Cotrell very well. You guys aren't far from us then, I'm in Tyler TX. Welcome to the boards again.

7sm
And I will be in Tyler, for the 1st time in my life, Thursday this week (work). Leaving Friday am for Dallas. Where are you located in Tyler?

-Michael

OP
R

RevelationX

1) Eyebrow staff - Preferably wax wood or rattan. As stated before, a similar weapon (in shape and/or energy) is readily available in many day-to-day situations. It also serves as a foundation for understanding the energy and internal structure of many other CMA weapons.

2) Tai Chi Sword - Forged or Combat Steel blade. 26" overall length for double wield, 28" overall length for single. No more than 1.5 lbs (double) - 2.0 lbs (single) each sword.

3) Double Butterfly Knives - Forged or Combat Steel Blades. This weapon choice complements traditional Wing Chun theory like no other weapon. And since Wing Chun is my primary art, this choice becomes an obvious one.

These choices are my top 3. There are others, but I feel that mastery of weapons in CMA requires a focus of a few key weapons, as opposed to getting lost in the abundance of weapons that CMA presents throughout the history of the Arts through various styles, lineage's, and time periods.

I made these specific choices for a few reasons. First, each weapon has a distinctive fighting range. The staff being for long-range fighting application, the Tai Chi sword for medium-range fighting application, and finally the Butterfly Knives for short-range fighting application.

The second reason is the level of lethal intent each weapon emulates in most situations. For example, the staff is rarely used to kill. It speaks more of a protective and subduing energy, rather than the alternative. Not to say that it cannot be used as such, however, the spirit of the weapon itself does not promote that extreme level by nature of its design.

The Tai Chi sword is by far the opposite. Although, its many sword forms are beautiful, fluid, and attractive to the eye. Its applications are almost always deadly. Such is the nature of any true sword. I relate the Tai Chi sword easily to its equally efficient counterpart, the Japanese Katana. The difference lies not in their intent (each one is equally deadly), but in the different environments that sired their creation.

The Japanese sword was designed to cut through heavily armored opponents on the battlefield, while the Tai Chi sword was meant to slice and stab an opponent with little or no armor during small skirmishes and back alley confrontations. Of course there are exceptions for each, however, their fighting spirit remains constant. And since we now live in a time where armor is rare, my choice drifted toward the CMA style of sword play. I doubt I would ever have to use such a weapon in combat in today's world, however, the choice for training a weapon of lethal intent falls to that of the Tai Chi Sword.

The Butterfly Knives (sometimes referred to as "swords") are not in my opinion a "sword" at all due to the nature of combat as well as the range in which they are used. Their nature is to "Chop" rather than stabbing or slicing. Now, while you may still slice or stab, it rarely is represented in the energy and application of the weapon. The "chopping" energy during close combat is what I see as a balance between the subduing energy of the staff and the lethal energy of the sword. While you can choose to utilize the energy for lethal combat, you have the option to choose the level of intent by its application.

For instance, I am fighting multiple opponents in close quarters, and I must take each one out as quickly and effectively as possible without the intention killing, even though I am afraid for my own life. The staff would suffer in this instance because the fighting range is too close, and you must take each enemy down with one stroke. Not impossible, but not likely with the staff.

With the knives "chopping" energy, your targets can easily be the non-lethal parts of the body (i.e. the extremities (legs, hands. and arms), the back, the shoulders and trapezius muscles, etc.), so as to debilitate your opponent as quickly as possible (to increase your chances of survival) while not intending to end another human life. The weapon, however, also leaves a lethal option open if it must ascend to that level. The spirit of the weapon allows for this balance to present itself better than that of the pure lethal intent of the Tai Chi sword. Yes, the sword may be used to injure you opponent, but it still pales in comparison to the effectiveness of the Knives due to their inherent balance of the energy held within, which in turn gives the balance of spirit and intent during their application.

I have many other reasons for my choices, however, they are on a more personal level, so I will refrain from listing those reasons, for the level of subjectivity may cause many disagreements regarding the nature of weapons in combat. I hope that I have put it clear enough to words, so that the reader understands fully my reasons and logic for choosing my focus weapons for my martial training.

In closing, each artist must choose the weapon that speaks to his/her soul, specific fighting art, and particular body type. They do not have to be as systematic, or as inclusive as my choices. However, they do have to be the one(s) for you. Choose wisely. And, Good Luck with your training.

Thank You.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
And I will be in Tyler, for the 1st time in my life, Thursday this week (work). Leaving Friday am for Dallas. Where are you located in Tyler?

-Michael
Ah welcome to the Rose City then. I live in South Tyler but my school is on east 5th street down from Tyler Junior college. Our main classes take place thursday evening at 6:30, you should drop by and check one out if you have time. Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness is the name.

7sm

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent post RevelationX. In Hung-Gar we called the eyebrow staff a Monkey Stick.

I divide Chinese weapons into two broad catagories, Flexible and Rigid. Then by range, with some fitting into both (e.g. the 3-Sectional Staff, etc.); and subdivide again by edged and non-edged weapons, whether for slicing or stabbing. Weapons thrown, blown (darts, powders, liquids, etc.), or shot mechanically fall into their own specialized catagory unless multi functional.

Thoughts?

-Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Ah welcome to the Rose City then. I live in South Tyler but my school is on east 5th street down from Tyler Junior college. Our main classes take place thursday evening at 6:30, you should drop by and check one out if you have time. Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness is the name.

7sm
Thanks, I will drop by if I can find it. I will be visiting the Parole Office in Tyler, then staying at a local bed & breakfast before heading out the next morning. Thanks for the invite.

-Michael

OP
R

RubyMoon

I currently have a fascination with the three-section staff. I've wanted to learn this weapon for many years, ever since I saw my first Sifu whip the thing around so expertly. Now I finally have my chance. I am very priveledged to have the opportunity to learn a two-person form, three-section staff vs. spear. It is challenging, exciting, and practical. The techniques I am learning seem to come much more quickly with a partner than they would without, since I really have to block those spear thrusts and slashes! If one of us doesn't perform a technique properly, someone could get hurt. Needless to say, we are highly motivated to learn and perform our techniques with great precision.

The other weapon I am currently training in is the single broadsword (darn dao). This is an elegant weapon I have always wanted to learn. I have almost completed the first form, and it is starting to really get fun now that my techniques are becoming smoother and more spontaneous.

Of course the staff has always been a good standard weapon to fall back on. I began my study of the staff over 15 years ago with my first sifu. Soon I will begin a new form with my new sifu, as soon as I complete my broadsword form. I am looking forward to this.

The weapon I am by far best at, however, is not even found in traditional kung fu: the sticks. Over the course of my training, I have picked up a fair amount of Arnis, along with some related arts such as Serrada. I really took to the sticks easily, and have actually been in a situation where I used them in self-defense against a single stick-wielding attacker (it was the heavy end of a pool cue, in fact). I am by no means an expert at these arts, but I have absorbed the basics and continue to practice. I would love the opportunity to really study the filippino stick-fighting arts in earnest, but alas...I can find no schools near my location in west central Florida. (If anybody knows of any, please let me know!) :)

I recently purchased a really cool new toy that combines two of my weapon interests into one. It's one of those "convert-a-staff" things. It is made of an alluminum alloy. When assembled, it is a six foot staff, approximately the same weight as a hardwood staff. With a few twists, however, the sections seperate into three 24" sections connected by chains. As a three-section staff, it is a just a tad on the heavy side, and that aluminum hurts like the dickens when you screw up. On the whole, however...I think this thing is wicked cool. :ultracool

Latest Discussions