Favorite Weapon

OP
R

RevelationX

Michael Billings said:
Excellent post RevelationX. In Hung-Gar we called the eyebrow staff a Monkey Stick.

I divide Chinese weapons into two broad catagories, Flexible and Rigid. Then by range, with some fitting into both (e.g. the 3-Sectional Staff, etc.); and subdivide again by edged and non-edged weapons, whether for slicing or stabbing. Weapons thrown, blown (darts, powders, liquids, etc.), or shot mechanically fall into their own specialized catagory unless multi functional.

Thoughts?

-Michael
Thank You for your kind words.:asian:

While, I will agree with that method of classification for the organization of weapons on a surface and structural level. I have found personally that the "greater" or more profound differences lie in the internal energy (found in each weapon respectively), and each weapon's "fighting spirit," (sometimes seen as the weapons "intent" : i.e. to kill, maim, debilitate, torture, bleed, crush, etc.) Of course this method is deeper, more abstract, and more subjective, however, it is only one other approach to classification of weapons.

I find that one system, one level of depth, or one "way" of interpreting the energy and classification of weapons is more closely related to the individuals mental make-up (abstract or logical thinking), as well as their martial background (internal or external). Neither, is the "right" or better way. Each approach is just another option for an individual to find what "speaks" to him/her directly, so that his/her understanding of the martial applications become deeper and allow for greater mastery and skill to develop within.

Take Care. :boing2:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevelationX, understood. I was dealing with them as you would a novice or newbie to the boards, from a functional, structural, external level only. Any weapon can reflect the nature (spirit) of the wielder, however, not every weapon's nature is condusive to every user.

I know this sound ambiguous and maybe intellectually snotty, which was not my intent. The easy way of saying this, is a very experienced teacher, well versed an trained, can pick up any weapon and make it his or hers. Not every student however, is comfortable with some of the weapons they are asked to learn.

I think the more damaging externally, the weapon is, the more graphic the degree of physical destruction it causes, may, because of the weapon's nature and function, be too destructive for some to feel comfortable with. It is when you get up close and personal, or when you can easily imagine the damage caused by your weapons, that your practice moves from the beautiful, graceful, powerful, explosive martial dance, into a much more uncomfortable arena for most. This should not deter us from learning all that we can, but our arts are "Martial", or War-Like.

-Michael

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
RevelationX, understood. I was dealing with them as you would a novice or newbie to the boards, from a functional, structural, external level only. Any weapon can reflect the nature (spirit) of the wielder, however, not every weapon's nature is condusive to every user.

I know this sound ambiguous and maybe intellectually snotty, which was not my intent. The easy way of saying this, is a very experienced teacher, well versed an trained, can pick up any weapon and make it his or hers. Not every student however, is comfortable with some of the weapons they are asked to learn.

I think the more damaging externally, the weapon is, the more graphic the degree of physical destruction it causes, may, because of the weapon's nature and function, be too destructive for some to feel comfortable with. It is when you get up close and personal, or when you can easily imagine the damage caused by your weapons, that your practice moves from the beautiful, graceful, powerful, explosive martial dance, into a much more uncomfortable arena for most. This should not deter us from learning all that we can, but our arts are "Martial", or War-Like.

-Michael

Micheal,

I think I understand your words. And I agree :)

Good Post
:asian:

OP
R

RevelationX

Michael Billings said:

-Michael
Very nice post, Michael. I believe your words hold much truth regarding the reflection of spirit or intent of the wielder regardless of the weapon. However, I also believe that the inherent spirit (or nature) of each weapon plays a very important role in how it harmonizes with each person's inner spirit or intent. True, any person (well versed in the Arts) should be able to pick up any weapon, and be able to apply it to some degree based on previous experiences, combat theory, or understanding of internal energy (conscious or subconscious). The weapon is an extension of your own body and serves as a tool to for the user to emit his intent, extend his spirit, as well as to manipulate his internal energy for its use in combat.

That being said, My opinion is that some Artists will not be able to master some weapons as easily, or to the same level of "mastery" as other weapons. I believe one of the determining factors lies directly in the nature, level, and quality of the user's spirit. For the user's spirit to harmonize and connect with a deeper level of understanding (so as to make that specific weapon truly, a "part" of him or her), the weapon must "speak" to the individuals soul.

What I mean by this is that the weapons intent must match or harmonize with the user's intent. It must harmonize with the user every time he trains so that nothing is lost, and every training session provides new insights and understandings unique to that particular weapon.

If you do not have that "melding" or "forging" of intents between man and weapon every time the user picks it up, the training will take much longer than it would if the forging did not happen. Not only would it take longer, the level of understanding would not reach as deeply. Somewhat like learning a new language, you can learn the words and the proper order, but if you are not so inclined, the "feeling" and depth of the translation is lost. However, if the language is similar to your own, (lets say it is also Latin based) then you may soon come to understand the "feel" and "intent" of the language based on what you already hold internally. And this allows the connection to come more easily and at a more rapid pace. The same holds true within the arts.

That is not to say that it is not possible for any user to master any weapon. There are no limitations to what knowledge one can aquire while spending our few years on this ball of dirt. I would say that the advantages of searching and then finding a weapon or weapons that compliments you internally and externally will allow for more gains per time and energy spent than any other way of choosing.

Also, we all know when something "fits." We are more inclined to stay with, and work harder towards something we have an affinity with than something we do not. Very much the reason why I believe the truth of the reasons you gave for some students attraction or repulsion to a specific weapon. I have just tried to elaborate on why I agree with you.

Although this post is purely subjective, I hope the core of what I say is reaching you so that you may better understand my viewpoint of this expansive and broad subject. It is unfortunate that the subject is so abstract and deep. It is almost trying to define "love" or "justice." It seems we are on a very common ground and are saying nearly the same things, the words used are just a little different. I am enjoying this discussion and I am looking forward to what you, or anyone else has to say about the subject.

I also enjoy the challenge of trying to represent our individual abstract ideas in such a limited medium.

Thank you all for the Honor. :asian:

OP
R

RevelationX

Michael Billings said:

-Michael
I do not believe it sounds snotty at all. It is your view and I honor it. You words are respectful, thoughtful, and valid. I appreciate your time and effort spent in this discussion and I appreciate your viewpoints concerning this subject. I am enjoying this very much, and I am looking forward to future discussions concerning this subject, as well as others. Thank You. :asian:

- Charles

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like using the staff but I would love to start using a rope dart! its looks so cool especially when you see Jet Li use it in his films and I don't see why it can't be used for practical purposes. A belt could surely be used as a weapon aswell as keys and pens.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I favor the jian. If found in a self defense situation, I'll probably be unarmed, so practicality is not an issue for me. I've found that the jian improves my Taijiquan practice due to the added focus necessitated by blade use. There's also something about the "feel" of it that causes me to favor it over the dao (I realize that "feel" is rather an odd term, but it's the best description I can come up with for the experience at this time).

OP
Y

Yasuki

I'd have to say that I like jappanese styles more.

OP
Y

Yasuki

Well as far as kung fu I'd say hook swords, other than that nunchaku, and my four winds.

OP
W

white mantis

Shogun said:
Well I don't do Chinese MA, but, I am in love with the Kwan Dao. I have a naginata, and they are similar, but.........Kwan Dao, all the way.
Ah, yes the legendary weapon named after General Kwan It's one of my fav's aswell.:asian:

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that my favorite weapon would have to be the bo staff because its so readily available, broom handles, pipes, ect. I also like the whip chain and the rope dart.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess the rope dart and chain whip are favorites here! Seems like lots of people like them. Those weapons are ones that will bite back if you do not do them correctly!! OUCH

7sm

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a whole lot of MA experience. And even though we were being pushed hard and fast in the classes I took, for the most part we only worked with two weapons -- staff and broadsword. I think in some special classes, a few people got to work with sear and straight sword, but I'm not certain. I kind of like the staff, I think because it's so simple (a long piece of wood), and fortunately that was the weapon form I was able to learn. But I've seen other weapons in catalogs and instructional videos and stuff and I expect that some of them would be pretty cool weapons.

Latest Discussions