CMA Studied

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm interested to see the variety of CMA systems we have represented on the forum. So I think it would be cool to have everyone post what CMA they have studied if any.
I'll start....

7 Star Preying Mantis Kung Fu - Main Art
Yang Tai Chi Chuan
Wah Lum Preying Mantis Kung Fu

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tai Chi (national style) and Mo Duk Pai (Fred King's style), each for about a year or maybe a little more.

wingchunner

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First formal study: Awase Kenpo Karate do (Shorin Kenpo and Chinese-Hawaiian Kenpo)

Next:
Shaolin Tiger Kung Fu (3 years)
Chang style Tai Chi (3 years)
Shuai Chiao (3 years)

Styles of focus now:
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Leung Sheung Lineage)-11 years
Fu style:
ba gua (6 years)
Liang Yi (2 years)
Yang Tai Chi (6 years)
Chen tai chi chuan (Lao jia) (3 years)

just started some tongbeiquan

Martin Yoder

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trained for a couple of months in Yang Tai Chi but most of my CMA training has come via Kuntao Silat de Thouars - it's a blend of Chinese and Indonesian martial arts. On the Chinese side, it draws heavily from Pa Qua.

Mike

P

paihequan

Shotokan & Goju Karate,
Machimura Suide (Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu) - On Okinawa,
Okinawan Tsuruken - On Okinawa (Crane-Fist),
Ryukyu Kobudo (Kochinda Saburo Tradition) - On Okinawa
Fujian Immortal White Crane,
Taiji (World Taiji Boxing Association).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis
Cool, sorry about that, I tend to chase rabbits alot.

No worries--I split it off because it sounded interesting and I thought it might flourish better in its own thread!

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

T

Taiji fan

I'm interested to see the variety of CMA systems we have represented on the forum. So I think it would be cool to have everyone post what CMA they have studied if any.

Yang Shi Taijiquan (Yang Zhen Ji Lineage)

started initially with the CMC style and then beijing simplified...but have now seen the error of my ways :D

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
While I'm actually here and reading some threads, I might as well reply. I've had classes in what we were told was Northern Long Fist Shaolin Kung Fu (sounds kind of general to me, but that's what I've got) and also learned a Yang style tai chi long form. I tried learning a few shorter tai chi forms on my own, but the above are the only ones I've had real instruction in.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu or in Chinese Bak Shaolin Wushu Pai. Our system has some Preying Mantis and Eagle claw.
And we have touched on other things like Wing Chun like Chi sau and were learning part of the Sil Lim Tau form!

M

Matt Bernius

Wan Yi Chuan (Myriad/everchanging fist) - A modern interpretation of a Chinese family style. We utilize multiple animal systems to traverse the different fighting ranges. Additionally there is some Wing Chun, Fillipino, IMA, and Aiki concepts in there.

Pluss I've been working to pick up Ba Gua (Water Dragon line) and Xing I concepts along the way. I'd love to work on Tai Chi if I could ever find a credible instructor in the area.

- Matt

S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

I study and teach "Mah Family Style Kung-fu" and Chen style Tai-chi
8 years for the Kung-fu and 7 years in the Tai-chi (teaching for the past 4 years.

P

pekho

Here are some names for what I do. Keap in mind I am only talking about one style:

White crane silat
Bango putih silat
pekho kundao
pekho pai
shaolin five animal style
shaolin five eliment style

The school's name is Persatuan Gerek Badan
or PGB-silat

It is a blend of Northern and Southern Shaolin with white crane as the center.

Josh