What Ninjutsu you study?

Nin01

White Belt
Reaction score
What style Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu do you guys train in....
(Koga-Ryu, X-Kan)??

I myself had a taste in both but arent currently at any at the moment.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had experience in both Kan and Independent.
You are in Brooklyn, were you with the ways of the winds?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, I know more about Koga ryu ninjutsu than anyone claiming to teach it. And anyone who thinks they are learning it from Ashida Kim, Ron Duncan and anyone else should realize they are being lied to.

I study legitimate ninjutsu. The stuff that can be found in Japan and was not made up by some guy with a desire for a little fame and adoration from students. My teacher can prove he learned it from a real person.

Eternal White Belt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of studying with the Booj off and on since 1986. I have not studied with anyone from Gen or Jen, as the opportunity has not presented itself as yet.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not justifying any system Don, just asking where he may have studied. I would argue that some people did split or form schools for other reasons than adoration and ego. Ego is pretty prevalent in the Kan to.
But I agree with your arguement.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not justifying any system Don, just asking where he may have studied. I would argue that some people did split or form schools for other reasons than adoration and ego.

If you are talking about something like Toshindo, Ok.

But Koga...... :bs:

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I'd agree the SKH had what it took. To say that he doesn't have an ego or adoration complex would be off.
Some people would just believe they have a good take on something or are disgusted with the way a school is run. NOt just ego. I personally don't get the Koga thing. So I don't know why everyone claims it.
Anyway people can go back to stroking your flag now.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people would just believe they have a good take on something or are disgusted with the way a school is run. NOt just ego.

That may be the case in about one percent of the situations. But for the most part, these guys could go study under someone else. The majority of guys I see setting themselves up in their own style just seem to be looking for an excuse to do so. Those are the guys that go to places to get their pictures taken with important people rather than actually train, find out what people are impressed with and do that instead of what is best to learn the art, etc.

But when I was originally talking about people doing things for ego and student adoration, I was talking about the guys that claim to have been taught by some secret master in a previously unknown style of ninjutsu.

OP
N

Nin01

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes it was a student of Ron Duncan, I met Ron a few times and he has a HUGE ego and his ***** doesnt stink. I didnt like the way he treated me and at the time I was 14 yrs old and travelled over a hour a day thur the baddest part of Brooklyn to train.

I worked to pay for the class and couldnt afford a GI the Sensei would imbrasse me in front of the class why I didnt have a GI. I mentioned a student name who I met that Ron Duncan trained (Marcos Miranda) and he flipped out and threw me out his Dojo.

Im sure someone would disagre with me and have a differnet view of Ron Duncan, But what I see 1st hand he was a ****. I told my Sensei maybe he coulda teach me more about our Koga history and he said for what?? Get your GI befor I teach you anything... Thats the day I quit.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don, thank you for the clarification and I am sorry I was getting snippy. Been a bad week.

NIN, if that is the case. And I have never met Duncan Sensei, then that is a shame. His students can be dinks then.
I met one of his students at a seminar, Really nice guy. But yes there have been others I have been less impressed with their attitudes. Unfortunatly in the indie scene, the large bunch of them have ego issues and fantasies.
There is no reason to lie about it, too many do.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don, thank you for the clarification and I am sorry I was getting snippy. Been a bad week.

Sorry to hear you had a bad week, but I took no offense. I thought you were dealing with another issue. No foul, no apology needed.

But it looks like Duncan himself has the typical attitude of a fraud. He has sent me a few e-mails. He seems a quite bitter man and his sons seem rather ashamed of him based on their e-mails to me. I can understand their position being the offspring of a man they seem to know is lying. I do not know what I would do if I were in their position and can only pity them and hope they someday get a chance to break away from him.

Zachattack

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Toshindo under Sensei John Poliquin, in Westbrook, Maine.
I'm only in the kyu ranks right now, but dan ranks will come soon enough :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been studying Toshindo under Sensei John Poliquin, in Westbrook, Maine.
I'm only in the kyu ranks right now, but dan ranks will come soon enough :)

Next class, tell John that Scott Gordon said hi. He was my first instructor in the art up in Presque Isle before the Quest Centers and To-Shin-Do was around. I miss his ground fighting skills, and hope to get down to Discovery this year.

By the way, welcome to Martial Talk. Post a thread in the "Meet and Greet" section to introduce yourself to the great bunch here on the forum.

shinobi_ashton

White Belt
Reaction score
I personally train in togakure ryu,kumogakure ryu,gyokko ryu,koto,shinden fudo,ETC. basically the whole nine yards.
:ninja:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally train in togakure ryu,kumogakure ryu,gyokko ryu,koto,shinden fudo,ETC. basically the whole nine yards.
:ninja:

Welcome to the boards.

Someone has to say it, so let me..... How much of Kumogakure ryu can you personally show if you were asked?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone has to say it, so let me..... How much of Kumogakure ryu can you personally show if you were asked?

Ya know, Don... I wrote up a post asking exactly that... and decided against it cuz the kid just seemed overzealous, and undereducated about the art... and ya know, I was thinking that it wasnt more than, what, maybe 5 years ago, before I found my current instructor that I was still under the impression that most of what I had learned, including the Kihon Happo was from Togakure... How much we learn when we have a "correct" thinking teacher and an open mind.

Perhaps the real comment here shouldn't be How much Kumogakure Ryu does Ashton have, but "Welcome Ashton, we have a lot to teach you, so post a little slower, and read a little more"

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I was being nice! :angel:

I may be a little blunt, but I do want to make a point. When the guy who had told us all that he was a senior student in another thread realized he could not show us one thing from Kumogakure ryu, he might have realized that he was being a little over enthusiastic. He seems ok, just a little over eager and wet behind the ears. I think if he learns, he will get along fine. But I see trouble on the horizon if he does not.

Latest Discussions