What Martial Arts would help me in this situation?

TheMartian

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, everyone I'm new, hi :), I really need you guys help, I am thinking of starting up MMA because well, heres the story:

This kid challenged me to a Fight, and I hesitated but he kept asking so I said fine, he got me in a head lock and chocked me, then talked behind my back and told everyone, I lost btw, I also found out he had done Karate for 8 years and plays Football, will MMA help me in our next fight? I am thinking about taking up MMA for a year and working really hard, then trying to best him, hes not very nice.

Please take in mind I'm not doing it to beat him up or anything, I have wanted to do a martial art for sometime now, I don't want to hurt anyone, I want him to stop and leave me alone.

Thanks

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, everyone I'm new, hi :), I really need you guys help, I am thinking of starting up MMA because well, heres the story:

This kid challenged me to a Fight, and I hesitated but he kept asking so I said fine, he got me in a head lock and chocked me, then talked behind my back and told everyone, I lost btw, I also found out he had done Karate for 8 years and plays Football, will MMA help me in our next fight? I am thinking about taking up MMA for a year and working really hard, then trying to best him, hes not very nice.

Please take in mind I'm not doing it to beat him up or anything, I have wanted to do a martial art for sometime now, I don't want to hurt anyone, I want him to stop and leave me alone.

Thanks
Hey, sorry you have had to deal with this. It is not easy having someone talk about you like that. Well MMA or any other martial art for that matter will undoubtedly help with your confidence. Though only IF you stick at it. NO martial art on the other hand will make you invincible.

Still, if the thought of not finding yourself so unprepared for a fight gives you the motivation to join a martial arts school then the fight with that kid has not been all bad. So get your self off to a class near you and make it count for some thing! And come back let us know how it goes for you! :) Wishes, Jx

OldGhost

White Belt
Reaction score

Thanks
Your situation sounds a lot like mine many moons ago, when I was in school. Being thin as a rail back then in a small redneck town lets just say I got picked on, I had several fights won some lost most. A friend told me to come check out the karate class he attended said it would help me learn to deal with bullies. So long story short I had a huge chip on my shoulder, I wanted revenge and I wanted broken noses to prove to everyone I was not to be messed with. After I spoke to the instructor he said he would teach me but I had to promise I would not use my training for the wrong reason. At first I thought what ever get some training whoop some tails and quit training. All is good my “ reputation will be restored” well I started going to class, then I started sparing in class and I loved it. I got hit yes but I learned not to block with my face. I liked class so much I watched and even fought my friends when the belt tested. I was super shy about getting in front of everyone by myself. And by the time my friends got their 3rd or 4th belts in the system I saw a change in me. I had nothing to prove, I didn't care if people talked trash. I knew I could hold my own and that changed me in a big way.

So the main thing is yes you should think about training, but do it for the right reason don't train to go hurt some kid that's acting like an idiot.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks

Yes it would have helped in that situation. It could help dealing with any negative emotions you now have from fighting. An if you do need to fight people you could do it under sensible conditions like a ring and not silly ones like wherever you had that one.

OP
T

TheMartian

White Belt
Reaction score
I think you are a little late in the game for that guy. I think any motivation to get you in the door is good. :)
Yeah, he doesn't take it seriously, he keeps complaining how Karate doesn't teach him anything, and from my experiences, if I do something I don't like, even if i do it for years, I still won't get that good at it as much as if I would have liked it, so there's still a chance for me maybe.

OP
T

TheMartian

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, sorry you have had to deal with this. It is not easy having someone talk about you like that. Well MMA or any other martial art for that matter will undoubtedly help with your confidence. Though only IF you stick at it. NO martial art on the other hand will make you invincible.

Still, if the thought of not finding yourself so unprepared for a fight gives you the motivation to join a martial arts school then the fight with that kid has not been all bad. So get your self off to a class near you and make it count for some thing! And come back let us know how it goes for you! :) Wishes, Jx
Thank you! I'm going to start classes as soon as my finger heals up(another story for another time).
I will definitely let you know how it goes soon.

OP
T

TheMartian

White Belt
Reaction score
Your situation sounds a lot like mine many moons ago, when I was in school. Being thin as a rail back then in a small redneck town lets just say I got picked on, I had several fights won some lost most. A friend told me to come check out the karate class he attended said it would help me learn to deal with bullies. So long story short I had a huge chip on my shoulder, I wanted revenge and I wanted broken noses to prove to everyone I was not to be messed with. After I spoke to the instructor he said he would teach me but I had to promise I would not use my training for the wrong reason. At first I thought what ever get some training whoop some tails and quit training. All is good my “ reputation will be restored” well I started going to class, then I started sparing in class and I loved it. I got hit yes but I learned not to block with my face. I liked class so much I watched and even fought my friends when the belt tested. I was super shy about getting in front of everyone by myself. And by the time my friends got their 3rd or 4th belts in the system I saw a change in me. I had nothing to prove, I didn't care if people talked trash. I knew I could hold my own and that changed me in a big way.

So the main thing is yes you should think about training, but do it for the right reason don't train to go hurt some kid that's acting like an idiot.
I will take your advice. I will not do anything for the wrong reason. And as you said, I think the instructors will be able to help me with control and stuff.

Thanks.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This kid challenged me to a Fight, and I hesitated but he kept asking so I said fine,
Well that was pretty dumb.

he got me in a head lock and chocked me,
You're inexperienced and untrained. That was to be expected.

then talked behind my back and told everyone, I lost btw,
Of course he did. You guys are apparently young enough that the male pecking order and the ritualistic "monkey dance" are still important to you. Whoever "wins" the fight will tell everyone. That's how being a teenage boy works.

I also found out he had done Karate for 8 years and plays Football,
So he's had some martial training which may or may not be any good (but which isn't consistent with a "headlock and choke") and is athletic and probably has good endurance and strength as well as playing a contact sport in which he's used to getting "hit" and fosters an aggressive mindset.

will MMA help me in our next fight?
Probably. But it depends a lot on you, how quick you learn, how well you can get into an aggressive mindset, and the quality of the instruction you receive. MMA instruction is currently among the most popular and therefore commands the highest prices.

I am thinking about taking up MMA for a year and working really hard, then trying to best him, hes not very nice.
I know this is a dumb question to ask a teenage boy, but have you considered NOT fighting him? Seriously, in today's environment you risk being expelled from school and possibly legal repercussions which could absolutely screw you for years to come. And for what? So that you can have bragging rights and maybe a better chance at getting into Suzie's panties? Go take the MMA training but skip the fight and take Suzie out to someplace really nice and tell her she's pretty.

Please take in mind I'm not doing it to beat him up or anything, I have wanted to do a martial art for sometime now, I don't want to hurt anyone,
Sure. That's why you're wanting to challenge him again. Nah. Teen boys gotta thump their chests.

I want him to stop and leave me alone.
Then ignore him and leave him alone. Go take your MMA training. It's good stuff. But don't tell him. You don't have to keep it a secret. Tell your friends if you want, but don't do it so that it can get back to your erstwhile opponent. Just do it because martial arts are fun. If you ever need to use it, it'll be there. Tell your instructor what happened and he'll focus on bringing you up to speed in that context.

Honestly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're interested in MMA, I really think you should train in MMA. But, as others have said, keep your fighting in the ring, train hard and approach it like the sport it is. Practice hard and enjoy yourself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course he did. You guys are apparently young enough that the male pecking order and the ritualistic "monkey dance" are still important to you. Whoever "wins" the fight will tell everyone. That's how being a teenage boy works.

The monkey dance in an environment you can't escape from. Like in school is important to manage. It sets your social standing. And life is easier if you are near the top of that and not the bottom.

If you are protected by other social constructs like what occures in most workplaces or the ability to remove yourself from that environment it is a different game.

But we can't project what is not important in our environment to being not important in someone else's.

There are other ways to manage this problem than fighting. But it can be a real problem that does not go away if you ignore it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The monkey dance in an environment you can't escape from. Like in school is important to manage. It sets your social standing. And life is easier if you are near the top of that and not the bottom.

If you are protected by other social constructs like what occures in most workplaces or the ability to remove yourself from that environment it is a different game.

But we can't project what is not important in our environment to being not important in someone else's.

There are other ways to manage this problem than fighting. But it can be a real problem that does not go away if you ignore it.
Of course. Like I said, "that's how teenage boys work." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course. Like I said, "that's how teenage boys work." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

It is how bouncing and small towns work as well. My point is that you have to ajust your prioritys to suit your environment.

Most of us are safer than we were as teenagers. And we take that sense of safety and project it on to others who don't have it.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also found out he had done Karate for 8 years and plays Football, will MMA help me in our next fight? I am thinking about taking up MMA for a year and working really hard, then trying to best him, hes not very nice.

I recommend you get some training (if I didn't, I wouldn't be doing it myself). However, you should do it to make yourself better.

A year from now, you'll have one year of training and he'll have 9 (assuming he's still training), so he'll still have an edge on you. It's probably not the wisest choice to challenge him. But, if he decides to start trouble again and you can't avoid it, you'll have a slightly better chance.

I know a bruised ego may sting, but I doubt other students look down on you for having been bested by a bully. They're just thankful it wasn't them he targeted... this time. Years from now, nobody will remember it at all... seriously.

Good luck to you.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to focus on the advice about yourself, and what any martial art can give you as a person. Any martial art, properly taught and learned, would put you in better shape to defend yourself than not. You will gain more respect from yourself and from others by not being one who goes around fighting all the time just to be able to say you can. I know that doesn't sound right now, but as GiYu - Todd said, in years to come, when most people have gained some maturity, that kind of behavior is not likely to be looked on with favor.

So, find a martial art that you like and go for it. Let it mold you into a more mature person. The fact that you will be better able to defend yourself if you cannot avoid a fight will be just a nice side effect.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got bullied in high school badly. Pushed around verbally abused, by a small group of aligned bullies and general a holes. So many years ago. I look at it now and realize with a little training I probably could have taken care of a few of them easily. I also realize if I had publicly taken down one, or more of them, they would not have stopped. They would have escalated and came after me harder (pushing to pounding to weapons) or in a group, maybe even my parents home or autos. Ya they were that much of a-holes and their entire life was based on their tough bad boy rep in school. There would have been no escape - like fighting in a fish bowl you can't leave for years with a fish that has no other value to himself.

Not saying you should not train in MMA for self defense and confidence - you should, but realize a situation like this might not be resolved with one fight. Use this as a launching point to new horizons.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You walk up to the head bully with a board and you knock him out. End of bully problem. True story. All his bully Bros will find other targets.

Of course, you have to be 10 years old, living in a town of 400, in the late 1960s, or you also go to jail.

OP
T

TheMartian

White Belt
Reaction score
I recommend you get some training (if I didn't, I wouldn't be doing it myself). However, you should do it to make yourself better.

A year from now, you'll have one year of training and he'll have 9 (assuming he's still training), so he'll still have an edge on you. It's probably not the wisest choice to challenge him. But, if he decides to start trouble again and you can't avoid it, you'll have a slightly better chance.

I know a bruised ego may sting, but I doubt other students look down on you for having been bested by a bully. They're just thankful it wasn't them he targeted... this time. Years from now, nobody will remember it at all... seriously.

Good luck to you.
Yeah, I go to someone to help me deal with stuff like this, and he suggested MMA, and I said yes, but he made me promise never to use it for the wrong reasons. So I won't be challenging him, I just realized he's not worth my time.
Thanks.

You need to focus on the advice about yourself, and what any martial art can give you as a person. Any martial art, properly taught and learned, would put you in better shape to defend yourself than not. You will gain more respect from yourself and from others by not being one who goes around fighting all the time just to be able to say you can. I know that doesn't sound right now, but as GiYu - Todd said, in years to come, when most people have gained some maturity, that kind of behavior is not likely to be looked on with favor.

So, find a martial art that you like and go for it. Let it mold you into a more mature person. The fact that you will be better able to defend yourself if you cannot avoid a fight will be just a nice side effect.
I got bullied in high school badly. Pushed around verbally abused, by a small group of aligned bullies and general a holes. So many years ago. I look at it now and realize with a little training I probably could have taken care of a few of them easily. I also realize if I had publicly taken down one, or more of them, they would not have stopped. They would have escalated and came after me harder (pushing to pounding to weapons) or in a group, maybe even my parents home or autos. Ya they were that much of a-holes and their entire life was based on their tough bad boy rep in school. There would have been no escape - like fighting in a fish bowl you can't leave for years with a fish that has no other value to himself.

Not saying you should not train in MMA for self defense and confidence - you should, but realize a situation like this might not be resolved with one fight. Use this as a launching point to new horizons.
I will take your advice.

Thanks.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You want to train? Fine go for It good on you but you say the guy asked to fight you and eventyallh you agreed. Well if you'd never agreed there'd be no fight so you wouldn't have needed to. Maybe you were afraid of looking like a coward. Honestly my friend who cares if people think you're a coward you'll never see those people again in a few years. Me personally I've been doing martial arts since primary school (elementary) and all through high school. I got challenges from idiots to fight and I turned them all down and walked away. I've never had a street fight in my life which I'm very happy about. I could've easily taken down those guys who challenged me but I had no reason to and I'm sure most people thought I was a wimp who can't fight his way out a wet paper bag but honestly I didn't give a damm. I have nothing to prove to anyone. If they started trying to hit me then if defend myself but anything else isn't worth it

Latest Discussions