What Martial Arts Book are you reading now

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ppko said:
just thought that I would bring this thread to the top to see what everyone is reading
Good call, just picked up a few...

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, And Baseball Bats : Animal's Guide To Improvised Weapons For Self-Defense"
Marc Animal MacYoung

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Far Beyond Defensive Tactics"
Loren W. Christensen

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Solo Training: The Martial Artist's Guide to Training Alone"
Loren Christensen

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor"
Loren W. Christensen

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"The Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual : Your Guide to Diet, Nutrition, Exercise and Excellence in the Martial Arts"
Loren W. Christensen

After Loren Christensen came on this board I got interested in his reading and picked up "Fighter's Fact Book" and enjoyed so decided to invest in some more of his work when I had the money......and....I had the money...
[/size][/font]

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Essence and Applications of Taijiquan by Yang Chengfu (Author), Louis Swaim (Translator)

Mastering Yang Style Taijiquan by Fu Zhongwen (Author), Louis Swaim (Translator)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu-Ryu 2
Advanced Techniques of Shorei-Kan Karate, by Seikichi Toguchi. Great insight.............

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
just finished my third, i think, read of 'angry white pyjamas'

for those that dont know its about a young guy in japan in the 90s who for various reasons decides to take up martial arts (aikido) and ends up taking the 'riot police' course. its basically his story over that year of 'hell' :)

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ultimate fitness through martial art, Sang H Kim
Total mindbody training, Jacob H Jordan

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
'Ki and the Way of the Martial Arts' by Kenji Tokitsu.

A very interesting read and avaiable second hand through Amazon.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Read some really good ones in the past. Currently about to finish Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy and Natural Magic. After that I"m gonna read Cheng Man-ch'ing T'ai Chi Ch'uan a simplified method of calisthenics for health and self defense

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some finnish book about martial arts and ultimate flexibility: a complete quide to stretching for martial arts.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mixed martial arts: the book of knowledge by BJ Penn

Best martial arts book I've ever read and I've read plenty.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Force Decisions by Rory Miller - good, but it isn't really grabbing me and challenging my outlook like "Meditations on Violence" and "Facing Violence." Admittedly it isn't supposed to, but I have high expectations for Rory's writings.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't. force decisions is a glimpse in an attempt to explain how cops function. There couple of points in it I disagree with, and I suspect are the result of corrections versus Street law enforcement perspectives.

(And of course if you look really carefully in the book you'll find my very small contribution...)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Crazy88

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading Zen Jiu Jitsu by Oliver Staark. It's been a great motivator to the start of the season.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I started this book way back when i flew to Beijing on a 22 hour flight about 16, 17 years ago. Read it from NY to Norita airport in Japan. Got on the plane from Norita to Beijing when I realized I left it in the seat back pocket on the plane I got off in Norita....

So FINALLY I got around to buying it again and I'm reading it again.... no flights in my future so maybe I'll finish it this time

71wmtwurXhL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

also reading

140646.jpg

Latest Discussions