What Martial Arts Book are you reading now

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got a group of MA books, so for the past week I've been reading: The Original Martial Arts Encyclopedia by Emil Farkas, John Corcoran & Stuart Sobel; 'Inside Elvis' by Ed Parker, 'Memories of Ed Parker' by Leilani Parker & family, and 'Secrets of Chinese Karate' by Ed Parker. Whew!

All good stuff...:ultracool:

R

Ronald R. Harbers

I just read "The Lone Samurai" by Willian Scott Wilson. Great read for those interested in History.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ufm.jpg

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The book that I am currently reading is called " Barefoot Zen" by Nathan J. Johnson. It is a book that tries to explain the Shaolin Roots of both Kung Fu and Karate. it is a great read with alot of interesting points that cannot be denied. I recommend it to those of you who are looking into the roots of your style.

P

Patrick Skerry

OLYMPIC JUDO: Groundwork Techniques [1986] by Neil Adams & Cyril A. Carter.

P

Patrick Skerry

The 'Masterclass Techniques' series: RUSSIAN JUDO (c. 1999) by Alexander Iatskevich, which leads me to believe that BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) had better be scared to death of Russian Sambo, and that good techinical Japanese Judo reigns supreme!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am currently reading Okinawan Karate The Secret Art of Tuite by: javier Martinez. This was recommended to me by a friend of mine and is actually pretty good.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am currently re-reading "Mugai Ryu: The Classical Samurai Art of Drawing the Sword", by Darrel Max Craig. Great book.Tons of info,and the usual stories of Craig Sensei,which are always entertaining and enlightening.

P

Patrick Skerry

I just finished reading: 'A COMPLETE GUIDE TO JUDO: Its Story and Practice' by Robert W. Smith, which I would recomend to anyone interested in the history and development of Judo.

P

Patrick Skerry

I am now reading the incredibly interesting and informative book: The History of Jon Bluming: From Streetpunk to 10th Dan (c.2000) by Jon Bluming.

Full of great pictures and written in two languages: Dutch and English. Very salty language.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
75 Down Blocks - Rick Clark

The Way of Kendo and Kenjitsu - Darrell Craig

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished an article by Jane Hallander, Black Belt Mag. 1992. The subject was Thomas Mitose and His Father's Kenpo.

In that article the author states that "Abraham Lincoln" was the greatest Kenpo practioner in America... Went on to state it was because of his gentleness etc.

So based on that I wanted to say I have just finished "Lincolns War" by Geoffrey Perret...

I also have been reading Miyamoto Musashi's "The Book of Five Rings" this one is translated by William Scott Wilson. The Twenty Guiding Principles of KARATE, Gichin Funakoshi, translated by John Teramoto, nice read...

Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions