What Martial Art Is Right For Me?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever discipline you chose will be right for you...

OP
H

Hobberty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I know almost all styles use elbows. I just know that Muay Thai uses elbows and dshins more, IIRC.

Not almost, ALL styles use elbows and knees. You've got to take a class or two before making such sweeping statements.

Oh. I'm wrong, than. I don't remember correctly D:<

Whatever discipline you chose will be right for you...

o:

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Oyama Karate is Kyokushin. My instructor first trained in kyokushin in Japan, then moved to nyc and joined oyama karate since kyokushin wasnt in nyc in 1986. So i learned a blend of both, which is minimal changes.

Those changes are small differences in kata, and my sensei pointed out the difference in throwing knees. But thats it.

Shigeru Oyama was a great fighter in the kyokushin organisation, he was also Mas Oyamas (creator of kyokushin) adopted brother. When Mas Oyama died, his organisation splintered off into different groups, which again broke off into even more groups.

I pointed all this out in my original post.

As for whats better, depends. Oyama is pretty hardcore, we have a high drop out rate because people cant take the hard sparring, not to say other arts are easy, but full contact with light padding, gradually moving to no protection, and the requirement to fight a number of people per belt results in less attendance as other styles. I definetly recommend you try it out, and watch the higher belts spar and see if you can handle that. There will be times you will come home with bruised legs and your insides will feel like they were removed.

Latest Discussions