Help me choose the right martial art for me.

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
The only martial art i've tried so far has been Krav Maga. I liked it!

Although i never tried it, I love watching Shaolin Kung Fu, but there is a lot of artistic moves in it that has nothing to do with self defense or attack.

My question to you is: What is the harshest self defense and attack martial art in the world?

I am a peaceful guy and i don't look for trouble. But i hate cowardice and i want to be able to take down a group of 5 guys if i have to; or a guy 3 times bigger and stronger than me if the situation calls for it.

I also use glasses at the moment and looking to get eye surgery. Therefore an even stronger reason to protect my face and make sure no one gets to my eyes; aiming to get really skilled!

So i want to stick with the best martial art, unless you recommend going trough a few different ones.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any martial art that doesn't teach you to take down five guys or a guy 3 times bigger.

Because that is probably a little bit ambitious to be honest.

Otherwise i do MMA and think it has one of the better set ups for self defence. For a whole bunch of technical reasons.

OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
Any martial art that doesn't teach you to take down five guys or a guy 3 times bigger.

Because that is probably a little bit ambitious to be honest.

Otherwise i do MMA and think it has one of the better set ups for self defence. For a whole bunch of technical reasons.

Yes its ambitious but i have seen a guy take down 4 dudes on youtube. He was big, strong and jumping a lot lol. He wasn't using martial arts; but with each punch he knocked a guy out.

If MMA is the best option i will pursue it! Waiting further replies though...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes its ambitious but i have seen a guy take down 4 dudes on youtube. He was big, strong and jumping a lot lol. He wasn't using martial arts; but with each punch he knocked a guy out.

People do it. But there is no certainty you can do it.

MMA picks a few of the basic ideas from the different positions you get in to and then refines your ability to employ that.

The advantage is that with that solid base you can bolt on other ideas fairly easily.

So for multiple attackers before you get crazy with specific tactics you will need the tools to be able to hit guys effectively without getting hit back and to move around without tripping over or getting caught and dragged down.

That is your 90%

Then your other 10% is how to apply that skill set to the situation.

This is why when you see people knock out 5 guys in a fight they are not doing anything really amazing. They are doing the basics effectively.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you think you're going to get into scraps with 5 guys or a guy who is 3 times bigger, you may need Gun-fu. A .40 calibre Sig Sauer, wielded by a close-quarters trained combat shooter is one of the most lethal martial artists ever conceived of.

Well, except for a 17 year old behind the drone-control screen, that does trump a .40.

If you mean empty-handed, unarmed... just about any martial art has... facets that can be ramped up into nasty-land.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only martial art i've tried so far has been Krav Maga. I liked it!

Although i never tried it, I love watching Shaolin Kung Fu, but there is a lot of artistic moves in it that has nothing to do with self defense or attack.

My question to you is: What is the harshest self defense and attack martial art in the world?

I am a peaceful guy and i don't look for trouble. But i hate cowardice and i want to be able to take down a group of 5 guys if i have to; or a guy 3 times bigger and stronger than me if the situation calls for it.

I also use glasses at the moment and looking to get eye surgery. Therefore an even stronger reason to protect my face and make sure no one gets to my eyes; aiming to get really skilled!

So i want to stick with the best martial art, unless you recommend going trough a few different ones.
There is no single "best". There are many arts that are effective for self-defense use. Some even look a bit "artistic" in their movements, and may seem senseless until you understand their principles.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Maybe you shouldn't look at grandmaster YouTube. Videos are very easy to stage. There's no such thing as the best martial art. Unless you're fighting 2 year olds you can't beat 5 people like in the movies it's not 1 on 1 while the others watch. They will all attack you 100% no skills will help with that

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn't look at grandmaster YouTube. Videos are very easy to stage. There's no such thing as the best martial art. Unless you're fighting 2 year olds you can't beat 5 people like in the movies it's not 1 on 1 while the others watch. They will all attack you 100% no skills will help with that

It will probably be this video he was referencing.
Mike Vallely vs Jocks Extended

Last edited:
OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
People do it. But there is no certainty you can do it.

MMA picks a few of the basic ideas from the different positions you get in to and then refines your ability to employ that.

The advantage is that with that solid base you can bolt on other ideas fairly easily.

So for multiple attackers before you get crazy with specific tactics you will need the tools to be able to hit guys effectively without getting hit back and to move around without tripping over or getting caught and dragged down.

That is your 90%

Then your other 10% is how to apply that skill set to the situation.

This is why when you see people knock out 5 guys in a fight they are not doing anything really amazing. They are doing the basics effectively.

Good point!

OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually, if you think you're going to get into scraps with 5 guys or a guy who is 3 times bigger, you may need Gun-fu. A .40 calibre Sig Sauer, wielded by a close-quarters trained combat shooter is one of the most lethal martial artists ever conceived of.

Well, except for a 17 year old behind the drone-control screen, that does trump a .40.

If you mean empty-handed, unarmed... just about any martial art has... facets that can be ramped up into nasty-land.

True

OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
There is no single "best". There are many arts that are effective for self-defense use. Some even look a bit "artistic" in their movements, and may seem senseless until you understand their principles.

I love Shaolin Kung Fu! But this art will take at least 1 year to grasp. Thinking to give it a go :)

OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score

Sure thing. Being strong and fast does help a lot though...

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever is closest to and most financially convenient for you. How well you can employ what you learn is almost completely up to you. Learning kung fu to a good fighting level will take very long if the only real training you do is in that weekly hour. Not to mention fitness, too.

By the way, taking on a group of five people barehanded with success is a big chaos theory that is very unlikely to end well for the solo fighter, even for the best of fighters.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the video i was refering to:

Learning to do what the guy in the first video does (big dude knocked out all the clubs security) is not self defence, learning to do what this guy does is assault. Self defence is learning how to stop this guy doing this to you.

I do not see the problem however as being your inability to defeat a number of people, but instead in what you perceive (incorrectly imo) to be cowardice. “i hate cowardice and i want to be able to take down a group of 5 guys if i have to”. Taking the third video (1 guy takes out 7 gang members with a baseball bat) as one examlple; you want to be able to do this , i.e. take out a group of people, so that you are not seen as a coward. This however, to me, is a perfect example of exactly not what to do.

I can of course only comment on what is shown, and not speculate on what may or may not have happened prior to this. His car is attacked. The most obvious thing to do then is to drive away, arriving home safely, and get your car repaired at some point in the future. You would call this cowardice. I would call it sensible.

Instead he chose to drive to the end of the street, take the bat out of his car and then attack 7 people. Whilst this would certainly preclude anyone from calling him a coward, it is moronic to say the least. This course of action cannot possibly lead him any place he, or you, wants to go. He could get shot, stabbed, beaten to death. Alternatively he could “win”, which only leads him to one place; court. On numerous charges, the severity of which are dependent on his success with the bat. Even if you defeat these charges you still have the all the problems, financial, stress, work etc, associated with having to go through the judicial process.

The key lies in your own statement “and i want to be able to take down a group of 5 guys if i have to”. He chose to stop his car and assault people with a baseball bat, but did not have to. Of course this is only one scenario, but the overall message remains the same. You may see walking away from a fight that can be avoided as cowardice. I see taking a fight you could have walked away from as stupid (not to mention dangerous). And I will take cowardice over stupidity every day of the week.

OP
A

anonymous123456

White Belt
Reaction score
Whatever is closest to and most financially convenient for you. How well you can employ what you learn is almost completely up to you. Learning kung fu to a good fighting level will take very long if the only real training you do is in that weekly hour. Not to mention fitness, too.

By the way, taking on a group of five people barehanded with success is a big chaos theory that is very unlikely to end well for the solo fighter, even for the best of fighters.

Yeah. Ok; 3 guys :D

Latest Discussions