What kind of martial arts/self defense system would you recommend to me?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel unsafe outside. Maybe you heard about the incidents in Germany, like what happened in Cologne on new years eve.
People are being robbed at train stations much more frequently than ever before. I saw an interview with a police officer who said this.

But I really dont know what I should try to learn. I am 30 years old. Been working out for a few years in the past but then had to stop cause I simply developed too many aches and pains in my body. I also wasnt successful at working out. For me gaining strength and muscle mass was ridiculously hard. Later I found out I have low T. I have been on testosterone replacement since 2014 but to be honest it's not a game changer. I was expecting much more from it. :(
In Germany testosterone replacement therapy is also very old fashioned and not modern like in the USA. Doctors here do not use arimidex or hcg or short injection intervals.
We have gels and Nebido and testosterone enathate 250mg (sp?).
The gels didnt really work for me, they also were annoying cause you have to apply them daily.
Nebido is a huge 1000mg oily injection you get every 3 months. WAY too risk imo. There are cases of
people getting really sick after the injection if the doc accidentally hits a blood vessel!
You may say that this doesnt happen but I read reports from patients who have been getting Nebido for a long time and everything went well and then suddenly an injection went wrong (often for unknown reasons and the doc himself didnt do anything else than before) and then they are seriously sick. I dont know what could happen if too much oil gets into the blood strem. Maybe you can get a stroke or heart attack or embolism. I cannot risk that I'd get a panic attack even during the injection.

I get 250mg injections every 3 weeks. This way the T curve goes up and down. It peaks after a few days and then continually goes down and reaches a borderline normal level before the next injection. It's not optimal but the best I can get.
One time after an injection I had a bad reaction. When getting up I felt weak and then my vision started to get worse. It started to flicker and I had to lie down otherwise I would probably have fainted. My blood pressure was totally low.
This incident was really scary and now I am scared of every injection and this is just the small 250mg injection. If something goes wrong with a 1000mg injection then **** really hits the fan.

Important points:

1) I want to learn something which gives you results as fast as possible. I dont want to have to train for years before I can even apply something in a self defense situation.

2) I am not flexible. I cannot do high kicks. I dont know how much I could reach with stretching but I also dont know how to stretch effectively without causing an injury. When I bend over I lack at least 15 inches to reach my toes.

3) I am not physically strong.

4) I have quite a few ailments. Been to many doctors in the past without them finding a real cause or cure.
I frequently have pains in joints without real reason (no trauma or something like that).
For example I have been having pain in my knee when bending the knee for years!!! I have had MRIs, blood tests they all showed nothing and yet the pain is there.

I feel very fragile. It's often ridiculous how I "injure" myself in daily life. For example when getting up from bed I used my hands to support myself on the mattress. I was basically making a fist and then pushing this fist into the mattress to get up. This is a normal move you do in daily life.
And yet because of the pressure which the mattress applied to my fingers I now have pain in my index finger when I bend it! It's a pain in the first joint of the indexfinger.
I have been having the very same issue years ago and this pain lasted for 1 year before it subsided. Now when I make a fist and then gently push my bent indexfinger down against the palm of the hand it always causes pain in the first joint.
It's not a bad pain but it's really crazy how easily I can hurt myself.

5) I have issues with my shoulders (impingement). Been to the doc already he said that the space is too narrow and my tendon suffers from this. I shall do physical therapy. But I dont know how much this will help.
I dont know if doing MA/SD where you have to raise your arms and move them around might not make the shoulder issues worse.

6) I tried to educate myself a bit about MA/SD and tried to get an impression what different styles look like.
I watched some wing chun videos and found that it looks interesting. I also watched silat videos, also looked interesting. But I have no clue how good this is for SD.
For example I often heard stuff like "this MA/SD doesn't work against boxer,wrestlers,yadda yadda yadda".
This worries me. What if you learn something and think you are well prepared now and then you find out that your stuff doesnt work at all against a certain attacker? Just imagine the shock you suffer in this situation.
This shock alone will probably make you lose the fight.

I think that's all. Thanks for every advice.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!

1) I want to learn something which gives you results as fast as possible. I dont want to have to train for years before I can even apply something in a self defense situation.

Boxing. That's the fastest. Perhaps Krav Maga, as it deals with knife and firearm disarms and that sort of thing.

2) I am not flexible. I cannot do high kicks. I dont know how much I could reach with stretching but I also dont know how to stretch effectively without causing an injury. When I bend over I lack at least 15 inches to reach my toes.

I wasn't flexible when I started training in Karate, either. I started at age 46. I'm not that flexible now, but I've gotten better. So will you with proper training and patience with yourself. If you have no patience, boxing.

Technique wins over strength nearly every time. Strength is a crutch. It never hurts to have power and technique, but if you can only choose one, technique wins.

4) I have quite a few ailments. Been to many doctors in the past without them finding a real cause or cure.
I frequently have pains in joints without real reason (no trauma or something like that).
For example I have been having pain in my knee when bending the knee for years!!! I have had MRIs, blood tests they all showed nothing and yet the pain is there.

I feel very fragile. It's often ridiculous how I "injure" myself in daily life. For example when getting up from bed I used my hands to support myself on the mattress. I was basically making a fist and then pushing this fist into the mattress to get up. This is a normal move you do in daily life.
And yet because of the pressure which the mattress applied to my fingers I now have pain in my index finger when I bend it! It's a pain in the first joint of the indexfinger.
I have been having the very same issue years ago and this pain lasted for 1 year before it subsided. Now when I make a fist and then gently push my bent indexfinger down against the palm of the hand it always causes pain in the first joint.

5) I have issues with my shoulders (impingement). Been to the doc already he said that the space is too narrow and my tendon suffers from this. I shall do physical therapy. But I dont know how much this will help.
I dont know if doing MA/SD where you have to raise your arms and move them around might not make the shoulder issues worse.

Get over yourself. You have lots of excuses. Maybe you're a really sick guy, I don't know. But it sounds more to me like you need to create excuses for why you can't do things.

6) I tried to educate myself a bit about MA/SD and tried to get an impression what different styles look like.
I watched some wing chun videos and found that it looks interesting. I also watched silat videos, also looked interesting. But I have no clue how good this is for SD.
For example I often heard stuff like "this MA/SD doesn't work against boxer,wrestlers,yadda yadda yadda".
This worries me. What if you learn something and think you are well prepared now and then you find out that your stuff doesnt work at all against a certain attacker? Just imagine the shock you suffer in this situation.

Ignore all the 'stuff' you hear about what does and does not work against this or that. Uninformed ignoramuses can say anything, it is doubtful they know their *** from their elbow.

Choose an art that is taught near you, where you feel you will be made welcome. You may have to get off your arsch and go look at lots of places. Ask questions, look at prices, contracts, check into instructor's credentials (internet is good for that). Sit through a class or two and get a feeling for what is being taught and how you feel about it.

Then choose one and start training. Train when you don't feel like it. Train when you are tired. Train when you'd rather be doing something else. There is only one secret to any martial art and that is to continue training.

Be patient with yourself, don't get in a hurry - despite your apparent urgent need, great training doesn't happen overnight.

Again, welcome to MT.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
when hearing stuff like ma doesn't work against boxers and wrestlers, than why don't you learn boxing and wrestling?
wo genau in deutschland lebst du übrigens?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DId you read the responses to your other thread? You're asking basically the same questions here so the answers will probably be similar. You still have not answered the questions that I put on there:

What is near you? Whatever advice you are given won't matter if there is not somewhere nearby that teaches it, at a time you can go, and a price you can afford.

I will leave the rest of my comments here, as you seem to be asking the same things, so my response is just as relevant in this thread as it was in that one.

With regards to krav maga, it is absolutely a self-defense system, and if you learn it from a good instructor then it is very effective.
With what arts look impressive on youtube, it doesn't mean much. You can make any art look impressive, or make any art look ridiculous, if you know how.
This may be a controversial statement, but IMO being skinny/not overly strong doesn't matter self-defense wise. If you know how to strike the right areas and/or perform throws/takedowns then you're good to go, even if you are skinny.
You do need some muscle, but if you're willing to dedicate yourself to a martial art you should be willing to dedicate yourself to some basic physical training as well.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll also go more in depth on this one, since I don't see a reason not to.

What is near you? Give us your options and we can suggest one.

You seem just slightly less flexible then me. You do not need to be flexible for high kicks, and you do not need to be able to do high kicks. Plus, any competent instructor will show you how to improve your flexibility and how to stretch if you tell them that's a concern of yours.

Unless you are competing, this does not matter too much. For the purpose of self-defense, if you have enough strength to carry out the technique, and are technically good/precise you will be fine.

If its not a really bad pain, you're not as different from people as you might think. You likely just jammed your joint, especially if the doctors find nothing wrong. Plenty of people are accident prone, and it has no bearing on martial arts.
The only parts of this that would concern me is the '1 year' part, but honestly I feel like thats a bit of an exaggeration.

Get your physical therapy, tell the instructor this wherever you go, and they will either help you improve, or be careful not to injure it.

I can save you that shock right now: What you learn will be effective assuming the other dude is an average joe. If they are a trained fighter, it depends on who is better. If you are not mentally prepared for it, it comes as a surprise, or you freeze and f up, you will most likely lose, no matter which one you choose. Sorry, but that's reality.

This likely sounds harsh, but you have some ideas about what you need to be capable of for martial arts, which is just not true. Go to a dojo or gym, tell them what you want, what your issues are, and train. Are there pros and cons to each style? Yes. Will practicing one style over another result in you freezing up or being unable to defend yourself on 'the street'? No. Will your physical issues result in you being unable to train? Considering that I have seen someone with a missing limb train, and the amount of people I know with injuries more severe than the ones you listed here, I highly doubt it.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that boxing is a great choice. Any good combatives-based martial art will be useful. However, self-defence is not the same as martial arts. Self-defence is a separate but related skill set that includes deescalation, situational awareness, etc.

There are no silver bullets. You could still end up a victim anyway. However, you live in one of the safest places on earth. Regardless of your "feeling safe" or not, the chances of having to use your fighting skills are really quite small, perhaps 1% over your lifetime. Most people go through their whole lives without ever needing to throw a punch in anger. This is because most people are pretty OK and are disinclined to hurt others. Unless you live and work in a really bad neighbourhood, you'll likely be fine.

The media makes money off of making you feel unsafe. Crime is continually going down, yet people are more afraid than ever. Turn off the TV. There are very few predators out there. Train because it gives you joy, not because you think people are out to get you. Also train knowing that if you ever need to use it, you'll be as ready as you can be.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
boxing and wrestling arent for me. Especially boxing would be bad cause of the issue with my finger. If I had to make a fist and punch hard then the whole issue would get much worse!

I also know of a place where they teach FMA.

I have seen krav maga on TV a few times where a reporter visited a studio and then you saw short clips where you saw some of their drills
and to be honest it didnt really appeal to me. Maybe it's effective but I dont know if this would interest me. KM also isnt really a system is it?
Is it basically simply a huge variety of drills for different situations?
System seem more interesting to me. But then again the question is what's effective and what only looks good?

No I wasnt exaggerating with the 1 year pain in the finger joint! I have been having pain in my knee when I bend it for like 1,5 years now. I got injections and simply nothing helps and the doc doesnt even know what the issue is cause the MRI is normal.

You asked what's in my area. I only know that there's a place where they teach wing chun. Other than that I don't have any data.
Sure, there will be places where they teach different MA or SDs but a huge concern which I have is how am I supposed to tell if a place is good and if the instructors
there know what they are doing?

I mean what if I learn something from somebody who's not even good at it and then what I learn sucks, too?
How shall I tell wether sombody is good or not?!

One reason why I'm insecure is because I talked over the internet with somebody who does wing chun and then I sent him a link
to a place there they teach wing chun. They had a video on their website and I asked him to look at it. And he said that in this short video
he saw ONLY mistakes and that they suck.
I cannot tell if what he says is right or not but cause of this I'm worried that I go to a place which teaches crap and then what I learn sucks too.

Is strength really not important?
Let's take wing chun for example. I have seen different blocking techniques which they have.
Now what if you're attacked by somebody who's really muscular and weighs 60 pounds more than you and you can't block his strike
simply because his shoulders are way too strong and you cannot deflect his arm?
I really cannot imagine that it doesnt make any difference for a skinny martial artist wether he fights a small person or a really strong person. :/

Is it not possible to make some general statements about which MA or SD system is more suitable for real life combat?
For example I heard that traditional karate where you only do tournaments isn't helpful in self defense.
I also heard that the blocking technique has flaws because it's counterproductive that when you strike with one arm the other arm goes back
all the way to your hip.
The argument was that this isnt economic. (Economy of motion)

I dont do karate but this argument makes sense to me. In other fighting styles you keep both hands up to be able to block quickly.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good KM is effective, but there are also a lot of bad KM. Unfortunately without experience, it will be tough for you to tell which is which. And it is an actual system.

With regards to the wing chun place, any chance you can link the website here? A decent number of people here practice wing chun so you can get multiple opinions on it.

For the strength question: If you are fighting someone much stronger with equal ability, you will most likely lose (assuming all else is also equal). If you are fighting someone much stronger without much experience/training, your chances are a lot higher. Strength matters, but there are ways around it, especially if the other person does not know what you are doing or that you are trained.

For the general statements about MA: there are some general statements that can be made. If you are learning sport karate or sport TKD, my guess would be that they aren't too focused on the SD aspect, so I wouldn't go there to learn SD. If you are learning 'regular' karate or TKD, that's not necessarily the case.

For the issue you heard about karate's blocking technique, my guess would be the person who said that did not train in a form of karate very long (or had a bad teacher if he did train for a long time). There are blocking and striking systems that have your hand go back into chamber afterwards, but those are not meant to be done in a fight; there are specific reasons for it. If someone made that argument, they likely left before learning or fully understanding what the reasons for that are.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Strength is very important. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar. It's just not the only thing. A fight has a large number of factors, including strength, technique, tactics, aggression, luck, terrain, what have you. Fortunately, strength is something you can reliably improve. Get thee to a gym and work out at least. It could be that your physical maladies are a result of being generally unfit. I am not a doctor though. Perhaps get a new doctor. They're not gods, they're glorified mechanics and there's stuff they don't know.

When you come right down to it, unarmed combat comes down to boxing/kickboxing and wrestling (in the broad sense of the term) in some form. They are the foundational skills of fighting, with wrestling being the most foundational of all, which is why the last person you want to mess with is a good grappler.

Now, if you're unfit and don't want to throw punches, then perhaps BJJ might be OK. It will certainly get you in shape in short order (ground work is gruelling) and smaller people are more likely to end up on the ground.

If you are truly disabled, then some kind of stick fighting might be useful (arnis, la canne, Irish stick) as if you have to use a cane, might as well learn how to use it to defend yourself in extremis.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel unsafe outside. Maybe you heard about the incidents in Germany, like what happened in Cologne on new years eve.
People are being robbed at train stations much more frequently than ever before. I saw an interview with a police officer who said this.

But I really dont know what I should try to learn. I am 30 years old. Been working out for a few years in the past but then had to stop cause I simply developed too many aches and pains in my body. I also wasnt successful at working out. For me gaining strength and muscle mass was ridiculously hard. Later I found out I have low T. I have been on testosterone replacement since 2014 but to be honest it's not a game changer. I was expecting much more from it. :(
In Germany testosterone replacement therapy is also very old fashioned and not modern like in the USA. Doctors here do not use arimidex or hcg or short injection intervals.
The gels didnt really work for me, they also were annoying cause you have to apply them daily.
Nebido is a huge 1000mg oily injection you get every 3 months. WAY too risk imo. There are cases of
people getting really sick after the injection if the doc accidentally hits a blood vessel!
You may say that this doesnt happen but I read reports from patients who have been getting Nebido for a long time and everything went well and then suddenly an injection went wrong (often for unknown reasons and the doc himself didnt do anything else than before) and then they are seriously sick. I dont know what could happen if too much oil gets into the blood strem. Maybe you can get a stroke or heart attack or embolism. I cannot risk that I'd get a panic attack even during the injection.

I get 250mg injections every 3 weeks. This way the T curve goes up and down. It peaks after a few days and then continually goes down and reaches a borderline normal level before the next injection. It's not optimal but the best I can get.
One time after an injection I had a bad reaction. When getting up I felt weak and then my vision started to get worse. It started to flicker and I had to lie down otherwise I would probably have fainted. My blood pressure was totally low.
This incident was really scary and now I am scared of every injection and this is just the small 250mg injection. If something goes wrong with a 1000mg injection then **** really hits the fan.

Important points:

Simple answer anything. There's no magic martial art no perfect style they all have strengths and weaknesses any style can give you an advantage but it doesn't make you invincible. 10th dan grandmasters could get knocked out with good punch if it connects or if a gang of 10 attack your going to get hurt plain and simple. Anyone can beat anyone. One karate guy could beat a certain boxer but that boxer could beat a different karate guy. It's not the style it's how hard you train in that style. Take any style that you like and it help but you will be able to deal with it better than with no training

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

the video can be seen here http://goo.gl/0KHvHZ. It would be cool if you could give me your opinion on it. This guy claimed it's full of mistakes. But maybe he was just talking trash. He came across a little
weird anyway.

How would you train strength specifically targeted at SD? Do you do the same exercises and use the same principles as a bodybuilder who wants to get stronger
and then uses heavy weights and stays in the range of 5 repetitions?

Cause I definitely cannot lift "heavy". If I trained with weights which I can lift 5 times I'd cause more harm than good. But if I train with lighter weights and then do like
20 reps I'll also not get stronger.

Does BJJ only focus on grappling or does it also teach you how to fight standing and how to hit the attacker and how deflect strikes?
Is it possible to create a hierarchy and then say which system is the most complete and offers the most "solutions" for different situations?
For example from the wing chun guys (in vids which I watched) I often heard stuff like you simply mustnt allow the attacker to get into his game.
If he wants to pull you down you simply have to be faster and mustnt allow this and have to hit him and end the fight before he can do his stuff.
But then I ask myself what if you're not able to and then you find yourself on the ground and are totally lost?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok that link was to "Tsom Tsom Wing Tzun". "Tsom tsom" is Yannis Simeonidis ofshoot of Keith Kernschpect's EWTO and his approach and physicality remind me a lot of Emin Boztepe's stuff expressed with a shorter, more stocky build ...in fact I think he was with Emin's EBMAS organization before going off on his own. So basically this is "WT" Wing Chun. That's what I originally studied here in the States, along with Latosa Escrima. WT and Escrima are widely taught in Germany and it's a good combination.

Just one word of caution-- I've been told that that's a really expensive system in your country. But if you can afford it, it might suit you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

the video can be seen here http://goo.gl/0KHvHZ. It would be cool if you could give me your opinion on it. This guy claimed it's full of mistakes. But maybe he was just talking trash. He came across a little
weird anyway.
I don't practice WC, but don't really see any big issues that would concern me.

Does BJJ only focus on grappling or does it also teach you how to fight standing and how to hit the attacker and how deflect strikes?
Depends on the school.
Is it possible to create a hierarchy and then say which system is the most complete and offers the most "solutions" for different situations?
No, because this depends on the instructor/school.
For example from the wing chun guys (in vids which I watched) I often heard stuff like you simply mustnt allow the attacker to get into his game.
If he wants to pull you down you simply have to be faster and mustnt allow this and have to hit him and end the fight before he can do his stuff.
Well, it should be commons sense to fight the attacker how you are comfortable, but you still need to train legitimate ground defense, since you never know.
But then I ask myself what if you're not able to and then you find yourself on the ground and are totally lost?
Not if your school trains legitimate ground defense.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
looks partially like krav and kickboxing so as if they added things to overcome wing chun weaknesses. therefore its good. but some other things look like "lets break our fists on the head of the opponent".
less sticky hands and chain punching, more boxing and palm strikes would make it way more effective. but then it wouldn't be wing chun anymore.

and "you simply mustnt allow the attacker to get into his game" is said by people who don't want to train more than their system, but simultanously stating that their system isn't enough. this will limit them and one can't "simply" (best word here) avoid it everytime. wing chun guys trying to compete in an mma octagon learned it the hard way.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Important points:

If you can find someplace near you that teaches American Kenpo, that might be useful for you. The studios where I have trained in American Kenpo are willing to alter the techniques based on your strengths and weaknesses so that makes it a good fit for those of us with limitations.

Don't know that it is the fastest system, but if you are able to attend frequently it might move along fast enough for you. No way around putting in the time.

Boxing is great, but it focuses on targets above the waist. Those of us who are not very strong should be learning techniques that involve the groin and knees as well.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think fast results in MA... is like make a lot of money working. It may happen... for some. I would agree with the suggestion of boxing. You may learn fast, one tiny part. But well learned, at least .

Don't overvalue that incidents and don't think you can 'manage' several bad guys, possibly armed. Furthermore, they are the professionals, doing or planning crime all day. We, the average guys, train a few hours a week and at the end we are likely to freeze or panic... Or to make the situation worse, if not well evaluated. Prevention is King.

To finish positive, any martial art will made you feel better with your body, generally speaking...

Last edited:
OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hi guys,

what's EWTO? is this a wing chun organization? if a teacher is or was in the EWTO does this mean he has to be good and can't suck entirely? would this be a good way to
make sure that a teacher is ok?

and should any good wing chun teacher also teach stuff like defending on the ground? is this a good way to quickly find out if he's good or not simply by asking this question?

what i also ask myself is how do they actually try to train you to defend against different attackers for example boxers,wrestlers and so on?
all the people in the studio only do wing chun. this means that they cannot simulate how somebody else would attack. but then how are you supposed to prepare for it?
in order to really practice this they would need to invite people from other fighting styles and then train with them but i dont think that many schools do this.

but if there werent any blatant mistakes in this short video then this means that the guy i've been exchanging with for a few weeks was just talking trash. awesome...
i directly thought he sounds a little off. does anyone of you know a wing chun teacher with the name altmeyer he was in the etwo,too? he has somehow modified wing chun and come up with his own system which he calls after his name. the guy i talked to told me that he's the best. now i'm not sure if he wasn't simply advertising.

i dont know if we have american kenpo here. chances to find it in america are probably bigger lol.
i may try to google it. but i also have to be realistic. i cannot go to any schools which are like 100 miles away.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

As kempodisciple said, it depends on the school. I've trained in a few schools and dropped into a few others while doing my travels around the world. I've yet to find one that teaches striking. The whole philosophy of BJJ is bringing the fight in close and taking it to the ground where strength can be somewhat somewhat mitigated. If I get in a fist fight with someone, I'm in a huge disadvantage against someone bigger than me unless I really just outclass them in boxing. In submission grappling, grappling someone larger than you presents its challenges but it also presents advantages. What you do find is people practicing closing the distance and take downs against people (typically with gloves on) trying to strike them. This varies between schools. Some are more self-defense oriented and you'll see more of it and some are more sport oriented where you'll see little if any of that. Another variance is just how much emphasis is placed on takedowns versus the ground game. It's judo's polar opposite in this regard. Judo focuses on the take down with it varying how much ground work is done between schools.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
what's EWTO?

as german you will understand this evil bashing video, but it shows how in the ewto they think, they can overcome physics:

btw bas rutten shown here is one of the best mixed martial artists and coaches.

BJJCop

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
boxing and wrestling arent for me. Especially boxing would be bad cause of the issue with my finger. If I had to make a fist and punch hard then the whole issue would get much worse!

I also know of a place where they teach FMA.

I have seen krav maga on TV a few times where a reporter visited a studio and then you saw short clips where you saw some of their drills
and to be honest it didnt really appeal to me. Maybe it's effective but I dont know if this would interest me. KM also isnt really a system is it?
Is it basically simply a huge variety of drills for different situations?
System seem more interesting to me. But then again the question is what's effective and what only looks good?

No I wasnt exaggerating with the 1 year pain in the finger joint! I have been having pain in my knee when I bend it for like 1,5 years now. I got injections and simply nothing helps and the doc doesnt even know what the issue is cause the MRI is normal.

You asked what's in my area. I only know that there's a place where they teach wing chun. Other than that I don't have any data.
Sure, there will be places where they teach different MA or SDs but a huge concern which I have is how am I supposed to tell if a place is good and if the instructors
there know what they are doing?

I mean what if I learn something from somebody who's not even good at it and then what I learn sucks, too?
How shall I tell wether sombody is good or not?!

One reason why I'm insecure is because I talked over the internet with somebody who does wing chun and then I sent him a link
to a place there they teach wing chun. They had a video on their website and I asked him to look at it. And he said that in this short video
he saw ONLY mistakes and that they suck.
I cannot tell if what he says is right or not but cause of this I'm worried that I go to a place which teaches crap and then what I learn sucks too.

Is strength really not important?
Let's take wing chun for example. I have seen different blocking techniques which they have.
Now what if you're attacked by somebody who's really muscular and weighs 60 pounds more than you and you can't block his strike
simply because his shoulders are way too strong and you cannot deflect his arm?
I really cannot imagine that it doesnt make any difference for a skinny martial artist wether he fights a small person or a really strong person. :/

Is it not possible to make some general statements about which MA or SD system is more suitable for real life combat?
For example I heard that traditional karate where you only do tournaments isn't helpful in self defense.
I also heard that the blocking technique has flaws because it's counterproductive that when you strike with one arm the other arm goes back
all the way to your hip.
The argument was that this isnt economic. (Economy of motion)

I dont do karate but this argument makes sense to me. In other fighting styles you keep both hands up to be able to block quickly.

If you're keen for primarily a self defence system, look into SPEAR System, a method I think highly of. Let us know what you make of it. Decide from there if you like it or not, of course it's an individual thing