What is your training challenge?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have some new folks on board now, so let's start this up again.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your training?

For me, it's access to other training partners and time to train.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
We have some new folks on board now, so let's start this up again.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your training?

For me right now, with my shooting, it is getting used to only participating against myself. After a few years of grappling and always having a partner to spar and test things against, I find this new avenue completely foreign to me. It is challenging to compete with only myself and to have to perfect a series of moves to get the perfect shot. In mma I always had so many seemingly more variables, or perhaps different is a better word. I would never know what my sparring partner would do for sure. With my shooting, it is me and my gun. :)

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
My biggest challenge is tapping people out ;)

Finding time to go to the gym...but I do go to a good gym with lots of classes thou out the day 7 days a week so I can be flexable with the times I train.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just going to TKD class has been a challenge, when training has been: a) repetitious, not a good workout and nothing new b) the instructor gives us a bunch of stuff to do and walks away c) he doesn't show up...

I used to just work on 2nd dan requirements, but after my test three years ago, I haven't had anything new except one form. Besides my knees have not been too good so can't practice the breaking requirements for 3rd. So I threw myself into advertising, ordering equipment, teaching kickboxing, and women's classes with lesson plans, self-defense and stretching segments. TW

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest challenge is learning to slow down and take a break! Training, teaching, running the school, working full time and balancing family life doesn't leave much time for rest! :0)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say meeting my own expectations is my biggest challenge. Well, that and not blowing off my daily uke waza practice.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm with RoninPimp on the conditioning. The only way I'll get better is to roll. To roll I have to have stamina...conditioning is key. Fortunately, right beside my BJJ club a strength and conditioning coach is opening a training centre. This guy has worked with David Loiseau and really knows his stuff (plus he is the fiance of a good friend of mine- maybe he'll cut me a deal:wink2:). So maybe this is my training challenge for now.:burp:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
fer me it's making time to train. as a small business owner i can always find something else that feels more urgent than training.

like always, though, i'm happier and more productive when i do, so i try to get in time daily. often, i succeed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

Yes, I fall into this category as well. Not so much on the training partner area, but finding the time to train. If I was fortunate to have a 'normal' work schedule, it'd be much easier. I still do my best to get in as much training time as I can when I'm working crazy shifts.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Just going to TKD class has been a challenge, when training has been: a) repetitious, not a good workout and nothing new b) the instructor gives us a bunch of stuff to do and walks away c) he doesn't show up...

I used to just work on 2nd dan requirements, but after my test three years ago, I haven't had anything new except one form. Besides my knees have not been too good so can't practice the breaking requirements for 3rd. So I threw myself into advertising, ordering equipment, teaching kickboxing, and women's classes with lesson plans, self-defense and stretching segments. TW

Perhaps it is time for you to find another art? You certainly have stayed with TKD long enough not to be a "jack of all trades, master of none". Have you considered Aikido or a martial style of Tai Chi? Just a thought.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
My biggest challenge was when I took up MMA training - on the ground I was a fish out of water and knackered quickly. I'd acknowledged my lack of groundfighting before going, which kind of took the edge of it, but it forced a major adjustment of my own perception of how good I was in general. So training in MMA, at least the early days, was very challenging - but it was also the most rewarding training I've ever done, in many respects.

My next big challenge will be competing in MMA or a related sport (sub-grappling, boxing or something) - I've never been keen enough on the conditioning aspect to get seriously into full-tilt combat sports before but if I don't do it in the next few years I will be getting too old, so it will soon be time to push myself.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring, That is my biggest challenge.

Everytime we do full contact in TKD my teacher always puts up against girls...And i dont like it because..Well... I dont like hitting girls incase I hurt them so I just let them kick me ***.

Bobby

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest challenge is high kicks. No matter how much I warm up and stretch, Im having problems loosening up my tight hips.:idunno:

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The biggest challenge for me is my poor poor knees. My right has had an ACL replacement and medial meniscus repair, then a meniscus removal. My left patella has been dislocated so every once in a while, just for fun, it will sublux for no apparent reason. I wonder what it would be like to train without this pain? Hmmmm...to dream!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
The biggest challenge for me is my poor poor knees. My right has had an ACL replacement and medial meniscus repair, then a meniscus removal. My left patella has been dislocated so every once in a while, just for fun, it will sublux for no apparent reason. I wonder what it would be like to train without this pain? Hmmmm...to dream!

Both my knees are bad, cartilage gone for the most part, also a hole worn in the bone under. I've had meniscal tears but they mended with glucosamine sulfate-takes years. 2xday x 3 mos. minimum to get it into your system. My left knee does not stay in joint, so I have been wearing a brace for the last five. The Shields knee brace without the hinge on the second row.

http://www.1rehab.com/knee braces.htm

It keeps it tracking right, and I have alot less pain with it on. Now I have the brace on both knees, to protect for any damage on the other one and it was starting to pain. So, if you want to stay in TKD, I would brace them. Do weight exercises on the VM, inner quad muscle too- sitting and lifting your weighted (4-5 lbs) foot turned out, other bent on floor, hold about ten sec. Just walking seems to strengthen/tighten the knee ligaments (without wearing the brace) too. Something about walking straight but up and over somewhat uneven ground-curbs-slanted side of the road. I also abstain from any stretching exercises that would stretch out the side ligaments of my knees. Definitely makes them too loose to keep the patella tracking right. TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
donna said:
My biggest challenge is high kicks. No matter how much I warm up and stretch, Im having problems loosening up my tight hips.:idunno:

Depends alot on how long you have been doing it. High kicks need strength which takes awhile to build. Practice. Also do your stretching after class or good warmup, not before.

In TKD, doing round kick then opposite round kick on a bag, loosens up my hips. Also hooks. Then there are some great stretches. Try Yoga, it is great for stretches particularly the hips and hamstrings. TW

Latest Discussions