What is the

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most devestating move for self defense, what will knock the socks to say off your attacker. Why is it the most devestrated move and how long did it take you to learn it.

I relize alot of folks will have different moves and please explain what each movement is.

The stituation is simple a man is trying to rob you inside a cover garage it is about 9 pm and very poor lighted area, when you step up to your vehicle he jumps out of the shadows and says give me your wallet/purse.

What now and how do you handle it?

Please give realistic ways of handling the stituation.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give him your wallet, study his features as best you can. Scars? Tatoos? height? Weight? Skin color? Accent?

Anything that might help identify him.

Once he is off with your wallet call the police and cancel any credit cards, debit cards, movie cards, etc.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give him your wallet, study his features as best you can. Scars? Tatoos? height? Weight? Skin color? Accent?

Once he is off with your wallet call the police and cancel any credit cards, debit cards, movie cards, etc.

Andrew I agree but is there a single movement that can just take the person out without any fears of getting hurt.

I ask this for there are two new school that says they teach real life SD and that one move that will devastate your attacker. I have been doing this a long time and I do not know of these move, but maybe someone here does.

Thanks for the reply

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most devestating move for self defense, what will knock the socks to say off your attacker. Why is it the most devestrated move and how long did it take you to learn it.

I relize alot of folks will have different moves and please explain what each movement is.

The stituation is simple a man is trying to rob you inside a cover garage it is about 9 pm and very poor lighted area, when you step up to your vehicle he jumps out of the shadows and says give me your wallet/purse.

Just jumps out alone? No friends, no weapon?

I reach in my back pocket, pull out my wallet, extend it toward him with my left hand....

and then sock him really, really hard in the philtrum! THEN I roll over his semi- or unconcious body, pull out his wallet and take ALL HIS MON...

:) just kidding. ;)

I then call the police, report the robbery attempt and tell them to send an ambulance, too, to make sure the robber is OK.

If he's armed with a knife or gun, however, I would probably comply with his request and hand over my wallet. If he is calm enough I might try to negotiate with him to just take the cash as I will cancel my debit card anyway ...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think there is. Not in the one thing fits all category. Would kind of be a situation dependant thing more then anything, take what you can get and then keep going till he drops.

But if you had the choice, I'd probably say go with a hook / overhand / cross to the jaw line or side of the neck, hope for a KO. Or if your in tight a elbow, same spot.

Easy to land, meaning doesn't take a great degree of accuracy, and a good chance of at least dazing him if it doesn't put him out would be the best bet IMO. I don't think you'd want to try anything fancy, just go for a straight KO that would make aboxing highlight video :)

But to say that's reliable, no, not enough that I would want to escalate something to a fight that could be prevented by buying a new wallet and losing what little cash I carry, not a chance.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A most intelligent answer..If this "perp" is on something he may not feel it and you just may make him angry enough to do you some damage...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Armed or unarmed? If armed, with what?

Did he punch at me (from behind, side, or front)?

Did he grab me (from behind, side, or front)?

If he is unarmed and not a physical threat to me, I will probably laugh and tell him to go pound sand and get in my jeep and leave! :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did he punch at me (from behind, side, or front)?

A mistake on his part...

Bigshadow said:
Did he grab me (from behind, side, or front)?

A bigger mistake on his part..

Bigshadow said:
If he is unarmed and not a physical threat to me, I will probably laugh and tell him to go pound sand and get in my jeep and leave! :D

That will work...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, the one thing I've done to stave off a handful or so of would-be attackers has been ... my demonstrated posture and facial expresssion that I am willing to face and fight them.

Who it has worked on:

Two guys from the barrio - Oeste Treces territory, Orange County

Two relatives who shall remain nameless.

A serial rapist attacking women in the parking lot at Westminster Mall, O.C.

A *very* tall Eastern Bloc man upset that he had to follow the rules an American *woman* was enforcing.

Various others who came to a fireworks tent in the wee hours on my graveyard shift to do ... whatever they were going to do.

An ex-husband.

Various teens and youngsters who thought they'd intimidate me into giving them something.

A couple listed above had previously done me harm - but once I was no longer cowarding and simply stood my ground ... after I reached that point ... none of them ever touched me.

Attitude is everything.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, the one thing I've done to stave off a handful or so of would-be attackers has been ... my demonstrated posture and facial expresssion that I am willing to face and fight them.

Who it has worked on:

A *very* tall Eastern Bloc man upset that he had to follow the rules an American *woman* was enforcing.

Various others who came to a fireworks tent in the wee hours on my graveyard shift to do ... whatever they were going to do.

An ex-husband.

Various teens and youngsters who thought they'd intimidate me into giving them something.

A couple listed above had previously done me harm - but once I was no longer cowarding and simply stood my ground ... after I reached that point ... none of them ever touched me.

Attitude is everything.

Excellent post. I'm sorry you actually had to experience all of that.

Act like a victim, you make yourself a target. Carry yourself with confidence and look people in the eye, and the odds of becoming a victim go way down. Most criminals are cowards looking for an easy mark.

There is no move that I can think of that can be done with zero risk to yourself. You can't take the attacker's reaction out of the equation, which also takes 100% surety out of the equation too. That said, a quick shot to the throat will slow down, if not completey stop an attacker, or a well placed kick to the knee. Both are fast, require little effort and can be highly effective.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If by myself? ....First move is RUN...hopefully faster than the other person. Escaping should always be a first move, when possible.

If need to strike a person....my tarkets are many..my choice will be his eyes,nose,throat,groin, shin...each sitution may be different and may need a different choice of tarket that is best and available.

Many times a hand strike will be all you need...another time a good kick.

Having a weapon in hand (books,flash lights,umbrella,...than our choices may increase here on how to fight back if need be! .......Aloha

PS: Hard to give a simple answer when the varibles are many....choice of tarketing is more simpler...(depends what is reachable and open)...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Crush his jugular with one of them finger set moves; that should slow him down enough for you to back him into a wall and crush his sternum with a step through vertical elbow strike.:mst:
Sean

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I don't know, knee him in the balls, stick both my thumbs in his eyes, then elbow him in the face. If he's still standing, straightblast him across the parking lot. Stuff like that.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good lord chaps and chapesses ... is the world really as violent as all that! :eek:.

Quite seriously, I'm upset that Shesulsa has had to experience the things listed in her post :(. It seems that the world can indeed be full of people desperately trying to shed their humanity.

On topic, a tactic that might be worth trying should you need it is to lean forward to the would-be assailant and shout "What's the time?!". You'd be surprised at the power such an off-beat nonsequiteur can have in a stressful situation.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not knowing more about the situation I am going to go with the simple jab to the nose with a shinbone roundhouse to the leg about 2-3 inches above the knee. My intent is to make one body part stop functioning.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am all about any cane technique, I walk with one so why not?

LOHAN

White Belt
Reaction score
What about some one highly trained in the arts--

Possably Military to!

Now gone crazy & stlks prey --as they he or she--

Still has the realm or mind set (war is not over)

That would be scarry--as they don't take prisoners or worse --

They do take them for tourcher for info that will never exist!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Who it has worked on:

An ex-husband.

Attitude is everything.

I have been to that mall amny of times, and Temple Beth David is a cross the street

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about some one highly trained in the arts--

Possably Military to!

Now gone crazy & stlks prey --as they he or she--

Still has the realm or mind set (war is not over)

That would be scarry--as they don't take prisoners or worse --

They do take them for tourcher for info that will never exist!

I'm sorry, this is a bit confusing. What is it you're trying to say here???

Mike

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ask this for there are two new school that says they teach real life SD and that one move that will devastate your attacker. I have been doing this a long time and I do not know of these move, but maybe someone here does.

Thanks for the reply

Why not go down and watch a class and see what they're teaching or introduce yourself and start a dialouge and see where it leads? You've been doing this long enough to be able to determine if there claims are valid or just hype to bring in new students. My first impression is that it's just hype, and dangerous hype at that, but I tend to take everything with a grain of salt.

Latest Discussions