What is the Greatest Lesson You Have Learned from the Martial Arts?

chien_fu

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got a project going where I am trying to collect a huge cross section of lessons learned by different aspects of the martial arts. There are so many take-aways from different schools, instructors, philosophies, hard-way lessons, different situations, etc. The martial arts is a benefit to so many lives in so many different ways. I'm working to paint the arts in a unique way and capture all of the not-initially-apparent lessons that people can glean from essentially learning how to fight.

So far I've gotten answers from lots of well known martial artists from around the world as well as amateurs. I've already published a nice full-color book of all these lessons, but I'm working on compiling enough for a second edition. I figured this would be a good discussion topic for this forum, but if you want a chance to be published in the book, let me know and I will tell you how to submit your passage of up to 1000 words.

A contribution from Diana Lee Inosanto published in the first edition of Greatest Lessons from the Martial Arts:
"Be calm. Keep a calm state of mind and guard yourself against depression, agitation and stress, because most of the things we combat in life are psychological, not physical."

I also have much longer contributions from Dr Yang Jwing-Ming, Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit and many others.

So, what is the greatest lesson you have learned from training?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't "know" anything. We only perceive knowledge of things from a snapshot in time, which is a perpetual state of change. What we think we "know" today will change tomorrow.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That you can do just about anything if you work hard and never give up. And that that matters a lot more in the end than natural talent.

AKA, anyone can get a black belt if they work hard enough for long enough, but a lazy and uncommitted person will never get anywhere, no matter how much natural talent they have.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Inosanto on this one. A calm, clear, mind is the greatest gift we can give ourselves and my martial training helps me immeasurably with that. That and finding that unbridled aggression, in a normal, civilian environment, is mostly a sign of weakness or a disturbed personality.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That we are who we choose to be. With discipline and focus we can forge our mind, body and spirit into the shape we choose. (hard to think of the greatest but this is the first that comes to mind)

francium

White Belt
Reaction score
A mediocre idea now is better than a great one after the fact.

It seems like an impulsive or overly simplified lesson, but it's better to be decisive (even if you chose to be passive), than to be stuck.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never try to drink as much as a guy that weighs significantly more than you do!

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think because it can be applied to many aspects of one's life - the greatest lesson I've learned is - Persevering to finish what I start!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you're a white belt you know everything, only to discover, that when you're a black belt, you know nothing.

What have I learned, that once you discover you know nothing, then, the learning begins................

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you're a white belt you know everything and you don't know what you don't know, only to discover, that when you're a black belt, you know nothing, and you now begin to understand that there is even more that you don't know.

What have I learned, that once you discover you know nothing, then, the learning begins................
Sorry mate, I thought your post needed a slight modification. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep your hands up and your chin down.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, what is the greatest lesson you have learned from training?
Absolutely without a 2nd thought the greatest lesson would be to have Patience - the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient with others and myself.
To steadfastly bear pain/s and trials calmly and relaxed without complaining, to not be hasty or impetuous in thought or action, to stand strong with confidence despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity. And to do so with a smile and joy in my heart.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That I'm not Superman, and that there will always be someone out there who is faster, stronger, and/or better than I.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect. - Lazarus Long

Know your limits.

I'm not really talking about your physical limits. Physical limits are relatively easy to know. You can test them in your training as often as you like. You can measure how hard and fast you can kick or punch. You can test yourself in competition.

What I'm really talking about is your emotional limits. How far are you willing to go? This is much more difficult to determine, and in many ways it can (and probably should) provide a focus for your training.

I always assume that any confrontation has the potential to become life or death. And while I always have, and always will, make every effort to avoid conflict whenever possible, there are times when you have no option but to fight. That is when your emotional limits come in to play.

How far are you willing to go to protect yourself? Will you break their arm? Will you cripple them? Will you kill them?

Look at yourself and give yourself an honest answer to these questions. There are many people who are emotionally incapable of killing, crippling or maiming someone.

When you're confronted by an attacker, it's too late. Decide ahead of time, decide NOW how far you're willing to go.

Know your limits and train to give you the best chance of surviving an attack without doing something that your conscience won't let you live with afterwards.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you're a white belt you know everything, only to discover, that when you're a black belt, you know nothing.

yep at say white and yellow belt you think " wow I have learned so much!!" at green and on you start to say... "wow I know so little!!! look how much there is to learn!!" and at about brown belt, " crap me? I do not really know anything!!!!! but I might learn a little if I work really hard for a few years.. not much perhaps, but a little!!!!!"

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of the many things I've learned, I think it aided me in learning how to endure with some semblance of poise.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where to start?

I guess for me, it would be self-confidence, to believe in myself. I was bullied horribly as a kid and it took me literally decades to stop thinking of myself as a second-class person.

Latest Discussions