What is the first thing I should work on in private lessons?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to start doing regular private lessons at the new year. My professor's attitude towards private lessons is that he would prefer you come in with an idea of what you want to work on. He will come up with something if you don't have anything specific. I do have some ideas in mind, including what I plan to work on first. However, I thought I would solicit ideas from you folks first, just to see if it sparks anything else to add to my list, or even if it tops the list.

I realize there are a lot of answers. But I want only one (from each of you). It might be based off of what you needed to work on as a white belt, what you think white belts should work on, or what you think I need based on my post history. For reference, I'm currently a 1-stripe white belt.

Once I get some ideas, I will post some of what I'm thinking of.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to start doing regular private lessons at the new year. My professor's attitude towards private lessons is that he would prefer you come in with an idea of what you want to work on. He will come up with something if you don't have anything specific. I do have some ideas in mind, including what I plan to work on first. However, I thought I would solicit ideas from you folks first, just to see if it sparks anything else to add to my list, or even if it tops the list.

I realize there are a lot of answers. But I want only one (from each of you). It might be based off of what you needed to work on as a white belt, what you think white belts should work on, or what you think I need based on my post history. For reference, I'm currently a 1-stripe white belt.

You said Professor. What are the lessons for? What is the Professor's specialty?

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Work defense from bad positions, possibly against punches. Figure out how to get up to standing.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Had to think about this, I'm def not a Judo/JJ newbie but it's been a while.

The biggest thing I remember as a white stripe was "I need to do more roadwork" which is a kind of slang term for fitness. There are a lot of things important in BJJ other than just techniques, basic flexibility is super important, so maybe your prof can show you some of those.

I've had like 4 or 5 really decent black belts train me but some of the coolest stuff we did wasnt even what most consider matwork. Like break dancing, I think I posted it before but this sort of stuff is actually very applicable to groundwork. Might sound crazy but there are lots of good video out there of how to apply b-boy moves in BJJ

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had to think about this, I'm def not a Judo/JJ newbie but it's been a while.

The biggest thing I remember as a white stripe was "I need to do more roadwork" which is a kind of slang term for fitness. There are a lot of things important in BJJ other than just techniques, basic flexibility is super important, so maybe your prof can show you some of those.

I've had like 4 or 5 really decent black belts train me but some of the coolest stuff we did wasnt even what most consider matwork. Like break dancing, I think I posted it before but this sort of stuff is actually very applicable to groundwork. Might sound crazy but there are lots of good video out there of how to apply b-boy moves in BJJ

I've already done TKD and ballet, so I think I've got some of that flexibility and dance experience already. But good suggestions.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tell him show you invisible jui jitsu 😂 jk but I'd ask him to show you the submissions you've always wanted to try but never been shown in class or rolling secrets lol

Latest Discussions