What is the "best" martial art, pt 2

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are soft, medium, and hard martial arts; and every discipline has them, be it Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, Brazilian, etc, etc,..that's why there are degrees, belt ranks, and levels in advancement- A low rank student will not be taught how to seriously injure an opponent. If they are young, they will only learn this if they join the military.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to break this down point by point at the moment, but pretty much everything you've said here is incorrect.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There are soft, medium, and hard martial arts; and every discipline has them, be it Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, Brazilian, etc, etc,..that's why there are degrees, belt ranks, and levels in advancement- A low rank student will not be taught how to seriously injure an opponent. If they are young, they will only learn this if they join the military.

Back in 1982, when I first went to work at the nuclear power plant, one of my bosses had an expression for statements like these (though usually statements of a more work-related, technical nature...)

"What BOOK did you get THAT out of?"
rolling.gif

Anyway.....welcome to MT. :rolleyes:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

In kenpo one of the first self defense techniques is a chop to the throat, in Kali I usually have a knife in a students hand on day one, lesson one. Any other over arching statements I can disabuse you of?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more I read, the more convinced I am that you really don't have a clew.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think he's awesome. These threads have got the same feel as a Beatles movie, or a Pink Floyd laser show.

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Really, I focus on the idea that a fight collapses....I train my students on that concept.

Weapons
Legs
Arms
Elbows
Knees
Takedowns
Grappling

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's awesome. These threads have got the same feel as a Beatles movie, or a Pink Floyd laser show.

So they're best if you're stoned out of your mind. I think you're right, actually.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really, I focus on the idea that a fight collapses....I train my students on that concept.

Weapons
Legs
Arms
Elbows
Knees
Takedowns
Grappling
Would you mind restating that in a cogent manner? What's above doesn't actually make sense.

A fight "collapses"... Um... OK. What's that mean? What does your list of weapons-grappling hae to do with it? Is it a list? Is it an ordered list?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Weapons
Legs
Arms
Elbows
Knees
Takedowns
Grappling

Would you mind restating that in a cogent manner? What's above doesn't actually make sense.

A fight "collapses"... Um... OK. What's that mean? What does your list of weapons-grappling hae to do with it? Is it a list? Is it an ordered list?

I think he's trying to say that fights tend to start at long range and as the combatants move closer they move through layers of different ranges where different appropriate tools for that distance.

It's not really accurate the way he's stated it - real world assaults tend to start out much closer in than most people realize, and range can increase as well as decrease during a fight - but he may have just expressed himself inexactly in a passing comment.

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its a distance thing...and in real life scenarios...that is how it happens. It simply depends on which distance you find yourself in. Its not set in stone. But you definitely should be able to defend yourself in any of these 7 ranges.

My post was in response to the OP.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figured amongst martial artist, it was self explanatory
The written word requires more effort. It's seldom as clear as the writer initially believes. That is one reason why professional writers typically get professional, university level, training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The written word requires more effort. It's seldom as clear as the writer initially believes. That is one reason why professional writers typically get professional, university level, training.
Or a dictionary

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a distance thing...and in real life scenarios...that is how it happens. It simply depends on which distance you find yourself in. Its not set in stone. But you definitely should be able to defend yourself in any of these 7 ranges.

My post was in response to the OP.
Then, I'm sorry to say, your list is either wrong or really needs fleshing out a great deal. A lot of punching and striking occurs at contact range and when the combatants are "grappling" around on the ground. That's also where a lot of weapons are deployed and used, particularly knives, and often, guns. Many weapons are quite close and are actually most effectively used at punching range, inside of your kicking range. "Knee range" is effectively the same but often longer than "elbow range."

Further, just because some other guy is using "elbow range" doesn't mean that I am too. He may have monkey arms. I surely do not.

And, of course, what Tony wrote above.

If this is what you are teaching, I think you might have over-complicated it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions