What is Tang Soo Do?

K

Kong

Those faqs are essential reading, excellent history supplement.:asian:

S

Shinzu

unfortunately with the passing of GM hwang kee, there will be many changes to TSD. the history will always remain the same but the future will be uncertain.

L

llosik

Grandmaster Hwang Kee wrote his history about 7 years before his death. The book is titled "The History of Moo Duk Kwan", it described the martial arts training Grandmaster Hwang Kee had when he first opened the Moo Duk Kwan. He states he had only 2 years of training with a Mr. Yang in Dam Toi (Tan Tui) and Tai Chi Chuan when he opened the Moo Duk Kwan the first time in 1945 teaching Hwa Soo Do.

By 1950 he added Shaolin Long Fist and many Okinawan techniques. He added the Okinawan techniques from books of Okinwan martial arts where he ran the Moo Duk Kwan.

For many years he taught the So Rim Jang Kwan and Tai Chi Chuan forms and later included them in his books on Tang Soo Do and then removed them in later books.

He did not claim to training with any Japanese or Okinawan practitioners during his travels to China.

Because Grandmaster Hwang Kee never earned a Black Belt in any Okinawan or Japanese styles like the other early kwan founders, he may have taught a more regionally authentic martial arts of the early Kwan founders in Hwa Soo Do.

These books included the Pyung Ahn (Pinan in Okinawan), Passai, Chinto, Ship Sum, etc.

L

llosik

He didn't teach tai chi, he taught the Tai Chi Chuan hyung known as Tae Kuek Kwon (Tai Chi Chuan), which is equivelent to teaching Tai Chi Chuan. In Kung Fu students learn "sets" which are roughly equivilent to the series of movement we use on the "corners" of our hyungs. The sets students learn are eventually combined to form one long hyung of the school. There are many more sets available today that are conbined to form a Tai Chi Chuan hyung which means there are many more Tai Chi Chuan forms than in the 1930's and 1940's.

This may be true for the So Rim Jang Kwon hyung (Shaolin Long Fist). There were a few major lines in the Shaolin Long Fist, with many offshoots. Loosely speaking, Grandmaster Hwang Kee was also teaching Shaolin Long Fist when he was teaching the So Rim Jang Kwan hyung.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by llosik
He didn't teach tai chi, he taught the Tai Chi Chuan hyung known as Tae Kuek Kwon (Tai Chi Chuan), which is equivelent to teaching Tai Chi Chuan.

I can't be certain, but I don't think teaching a from called 'Tai Chi Chuan' can be equivalent to teaching Tai Chi. The above quoted segment contradicts itself.

Cthulhu

L

llosik

75 years ago, if a person was teaching the tai chi chuan form, the person would be teaching tai chi chuan. In order to learn the tai chi chuan form, one would have learned the sets required first.

Today, there is more variety available for instructors to choose from to add to the style such tan tui or springing legs for the lower body.

Todya there are far more tai chi chuan forms because there have been more sets made in which to create the final tai chi chuan form.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
TKD and Tang Soo Do are not the same thing. Tang Soo Do is truely been (generaly) more traditional and self defence based system. Even in the names we can see the difference:

Tae Kwon Do = Way of the hand and Feet

Tang Soo Do = Way of the Empty Hand/Virtious Hand/China Hand

Michael Tabone

G

Galvatron

Originally posted by Jay Bell
Hi Shin,

Like I said, these opinions are based on my experiances....and I've visited many different TSD dojang in Sierra Vista, Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona...all with the same result. Very little in the realms of combat know-how and a lot of trophy decorations everywhere.

It would be interesting to know if those particular schools were independents or affiliated with a larger Tang Soo Do organization.

In the particular Tang Soo Do system I'm in we have one tournament per year, which is open only to students of our organization. It is the ONLY tournament our students are encouraged (but not required) to participate in.
They are free to participate in TKD/open tournaments all they want, but they do so on their own, case in point one of our TSD Masters is on the AAU National TKD team.

:)

S

Shinzu

no way.. we do all the srtikes,blocks, and other techniques found in karate.

it is very similar to japanese karate.

B

blackcrow

Originally posted by Jay Bell
Hi Shin,
Like I said, these opinions are based on my experiances....and I've visited many different TSD dojang in Sierra Vista, Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona...all with the same result. Very little in the realms of combat know-how and a lot of trophy decorations everywhere.

.. And you know that TSD is ineffective because of your singular visit to each dojang. :shrug: One visit to a school and your an expert on the art ? :rolleyes:

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by blackcrow
.. And you know that TSD is ineffective because of your singular visit to each dojang. :shrug: One visit to a school and your an expert on the art ? :rolleyes:

Ummmm...I believe you are a bit "quick on the draw" here. Jay merely mentioned HIS experience and did not CLAIM to be an expert. Plus given Jay's experience in MA, I respect his observations.

It is responses like this that keep people from posting anything worthwhile. You need to learn to take criticism a bit dude! Every art in the world has it's pros and cons. It is the debate of the century...! Just train!

nuff said!

S

Shinzu

it is true that different schools will do things different. no matter what the style is. that is why you have to choose which one is best for you.

im sure there are plenty of tae kwon do schools that are more into training than winning trophies also.

B

blackcrow

Originally posted by Deaf
Ummmm...I believe you are a bit "quick on the draw" here. Jay merely mentioned HIS experience and did not CLAIM to be an expert. Plus given Jay's experience in MA, I respect his observations.

It is responses like this that keep people from posting anything worthwhile. You need to learn to take criticism a bit dude! Every art in the world has it's pros and cons. It is the debate of the century...! Just train!
nuff said!

I would never go to the Russian MA section of this site and say ANYTHING negative about it out of respect for that martial art. Every martial art has something valuable to offer just like every person has something to offer. Jay doesnt have enough TSD experience to make an educated comment, especially not a negative one. You both need to learn more about respect.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps I may be able to help here. I do not claim to be an expert on Tang Soo Do; however, I do hold a yuk dan in TSD. I have also served as the US Representative for the Korea TangSooDo MooDukKwan Society, and am a current member of the Board of Masters of the Tang Soo Do Society.

That being said... TangSooDo can be a highly effective art; however, the growth and skill of any individual is dependent upon the sacrifices that individual is willing to make. To be honest with you, to compare an entire art based on obsevations at one or two schools is absolutely ludicrous. For example: people fail out of Purdue and there are those who succeed, but stink as Engineers... and Purdue is famous for having an excellent engineering program. Using the logic presviously indicated, that would make Purdue an awful school.

Martial arts today are geared and produced for the masses. All arts have things in them which are effective and ineffective. As a strategic caution, I would caution against any such preconceived notions... they cause dumb mistakes in self defense.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would never go to the Russian MA section of this site and say ANYTHING negative about it out of respect for that martial art. Every martial art has something valuable to offer just like every person has something to offer. Jay doesnt have enough TSD experience to make an educated comment, especially not a negative one. You both need to learn more about respect.

Learn more about respect? What the heck? How was I disrespectful? Plus you seemed to have contradicted yourself in that post.

Every martial art has something valuable to offer just like every person has something to offer. Jay doesnt have enough TSD experience to make an educated comment, especially not a negative one. You both need to learn more about respect.

You just stated that every person has something to offer but when Jay "offered" his opinion on some TSD dojangs near his area...what you do?

Just out of curiousity here. How LONG have you been involved in MA? How LONG have you been involved in TSD?

All I mentioned was the fact that you seemed to have jumped the gun in your assumption towards Jay's comments and that all arts have their pros and cons. So I am quite confused as to WHY you would THINK that was disrespectful.

I'm not looking to start a flame war, however I do NOT take it kindly when someone tells me that I need to learn respect! Especially after being in the MA for well over 18 years! So if you wish to continue this thread feel free to send me a personal message.

~Deaf~

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I understand how irritating that can be; however, you have to let it go. Anyone who is a senior teaches more by example, than by any other action. Besides, after my few short years, I have learned that I'm not getting younger, and I can't change the world. So I try to do the best I can to be at harmony with the world (which for a type "A" personality does pose a daily challenge).

Remember the principle of the Weeping Willow...

Which is stronger a willow or an oak? Most will say the oak, yet in a hurricane the true strength of the willow is revealed in its ability to yield, rather than the fragile strength of the oak, which can not yield so it must break.

Latest Discussions