MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taken from : http://www.brown.edu/Students/Tang_Soo_Do/FAQ.htm
=========================================

What is Tang Soo Do?

Tang Soo Do, a traditional Korean Martial Art, is the art of open hand and foot self defense. Tang Soo Do was developed from traditional Korean martial arts dating back over two thousand years. Tang Soo Do is taught as an art rather than as a sport.

Tang Soo Do training allows the body to gain the ultimate use of its faculties through intensive physical and mental training. It's methods of instruction are designed to help an individual develop character, integrity, self-confidence, concentration and a respect for others.

Therefore, the element of competition against an opponent is not a part of Tang Soo Do's tradition. Students are taught mastery over their own bodies and minds and to develop their individual potential to its fullest. Even in sparring, the goal of Tang Soo Do instruction is not to vanquish an opponent. In Tang Soo Do, sparring is used as a means for students to help one another achieve a perfection of their techniques.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is my understanding--that Tang Soo Do is oriented towards self-defense and is not a sport. I know it still shows a strong Japanese influence and in particular many of its forms are all but interchangeable with karate forms.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A 2nd Degree Tang Soo Do BB I know described the system as more 'traditional' than TKD, meaning geared less for sport. TSD stances need to be strong and deep, unlike the very upright stance of most modern TKD practitioners. There is a lot of emphasis on self-defense techniques through choreographed drills, like one-step sparring or Okinawa-te waza.

In short, it is very close to Japanese karate in many aspects. Their forms are a mixture of Japanese and Korean forms, similar to pre-WTF TKD.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
A 2nd Degree Tang Soo Do BB I know described the system as more 'traditional' than TKD, meaning geared less for sport./B]

The use of traditional here must indeed be qualified, for while Tang Soo Do claims, like all the Korean martial arts, a 2000 year history, it is indeed a relatively recent creation that was drawn in large measure from Japanese karate. I am not familiar with the history of Soo Bahk Do.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By traditional, I mean less sport-oriented and more budo-like, if you will. Emphasis is placed on proper discipline and form. Techniques are trained to help master them to the most minute detail. From what I've seen from the few TSD people I've known, particularly the 2nd degree BB I know, it offers a lot more by way of character development than modern TKD, which is why I say it is more budo-like.

Did any of this make sense? If so, please explain it to me :D

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a TSD official position on sport fighting? I assume that TSD players will compete in open tournaments and that they perhaps have their own? Or might they try to separate themselves from TKD by discouraging sport competetion?

S

Shinzu

i originally studied japanese shotokan karate and i was very surprised to find out how much the 2 arts were similar.

the techniques and forms are almost identical. there must be some sort of cross over from these 2 japanese and korean styles.

it is a very useful style to learn and the arts itself is full of knowledge and depth. i would recommend it to anyone you is interested in taking up the martial arts.

as far as sport fighting goes, tsd tends to shy away from that. yes we do compete in competitions but itis hardly considered a sport karate.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had heard that the individuals who developed both systems spent considerable time together at one point, hense the similarities. Don't recall if it was a training or school thing. Memory is -very- vague at the moment.

S

Shinzu

that would make the understanding of both similar styles easier.

i was very happy to find a similar style because when i moved to PA there were no shotokan schools available. i would have started over if i had no choice, but i am glad i came across tang soo do.

my eyes are more opened to different systems and styles now and it is amazing to see how much of everything is incorporated into other arts.

im not sure if we will ever truly know where each sytle originated, but we should be greatful for the masters of the past that enable us to continue to practice and preserve these "ARTS"

TANG SOO! :asian:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do is taught as an art rather than as a sport.

I beg to differ ;) Every Tang Soo school that I've ever been around is as much TKD as anything. TKD was created as an umbrella incompassing many different Korean martial arts. Unfortunately....well....we've seen what happened with that.

TSD also seems to be very "anti-TKD" in their writings and words, yet from my experiances, it's all the same boat. Slightly different mechanics, but trophy winning as the primary goal, none-the-less.

On a side note..."TRADITIONAL TKD" was developed during the Korean war....not 2000 years ago. Korea didn't exist 2000 years ago. Anything to add "history" to an art, eh?

In my life, I've only ever found two teachers of Taekwondo that ever taught as they learned in Korea...which was very hard and effective. The others that I dealt with seem to be Tae-bo with false claims of self-defense and real combat effectiveness.*

*Note...I'm not hammering TKD stylists. The TKD dojang that I've visited talk about real combat effectiveness, self-defense and the like, yet when you watch them train it's anything but. A determined attacker would appreciate them having studied from the dojang they did....making their persuit that much more effective.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Shin,

Like I said, these opinions are based on my experiances....and I've visited many different TSD dojang in Sierra Vista, Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona...all with the same result. Very little in the realms of combat know-how and a lot of trophy decorations everywhere.

S

Shinzu

i'm not big on the trophy thing. they are nice and the competition experience is good for all students. skill is a big part of competition also.

it all depends on where you train. my instructor has alot of knowledge about hand to hand combat and self defense which i like. i like the practical moves for everday situations.

some instructors love to compete and show off their school also. this is great as long as the students you teach can seperate competition and reality.

i dont think you can judge any style by checking out a few schools and classes. everyone is different. everyone has its benefits and negetive points. like every other martial art style.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only TSD instrcutor I know teaches entirely self-defense and recognizes the similarity of his art to Okinawan karate.

Z

Zeke

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

I had heard that the individuals who developed both systems spent considerable time together at one point, hense the similarities. Don't recall if it was a training or school thing. Memory is -very- vague at the moment.

;) You are indeed so right!(well almost):asian:
Master Hwang Kee , the founder off Tang Soo Do and Masaatoshi Nakayama , who was later to become the cheif instruktor of the Japan Karate Association , did spendt some time training together in the late thirties/ early forties in China .
When they left to go back to their own countries , Hwang Kee took the Shotokan forms - At that point in time they were still showing signs of the Okinawan Shorin-ryu form that they originated from - and Nakayama took some of the high kicks that were later to become a trademark off Tang Soo Do . They were upon his return to Japan added to the arsenal of Shotokan Karate.
Take care
Zeke
:cool:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are users of this forum happy with its description?

Tang Soo Do is a Korean martial art which teaches empty hand and foot fighting, fighting forms, self-defense, and weapons. Tang Soo Do also teaches people to live a healthy and harmonious life. This ancient martial art traces its lineage back 2,000 years to the Korean peninsula.

Z

Zeke

Originally posted by arnisador

Are users of this forum happy with its description?

Well both yes and no:shrug: It do fit the style , ain't wrong in any major way (The 2000 year old-thing simply HAS to be there when we are dealing with a Korean style :rolleyes: ) and it match their ovn description and understanding of the art . On the other hand it dosn't tell anything about TSD since it would also fit a lot of other styles so.....?:shrug:
Take care
Zeke

Z

Zeke

:) Great sites! You can tell he really knows his stuff:asian:
Respectfully
Zeke

Latest Discussions