What is Taekwondo's Signature move?

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I don't know as there's any ONE kick that is Tae Kwon Do's signature, but I do know that the jumping techniques we do are unique among most arts in the world. Not many other styles utilize jump kicks the way we do, or at least, we do aerial variations of standard kicks like back kick, snap kick, center kick, roundhouse kick, side, etc., all the way down the line of possible kicks. That's one signature.

The other is our tendency to do high-aimed kicks, or kicks that other styles would do to the waist or below, we do to the ribs and head. Not sure if that's wise in a real fight, but it certainly gives credence to the idea of TKD Martial Artists as some of the most flexible in the world!

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
For our style of TKD, it's the sidekick for sure.

Don't underestimate high kicks. It's much harder to put power into a high kick than a low kick. So, while you may not have the oppurtunity to safely kick to the head in a real fight, if you've got a sidekick that can knock someone out, you'll have no problem taking out somone's knee. Besides that, what could end a fight faster than a sidekick to the head?

OP
O

ob2c

You actually asked two questions there.

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt
Which kick would you categorize as Taekwondo's signature move?

If we are limmited to a kick, I'd have to vote for the one that most often leaves its signature on my bod when I spar a TKD practitioner: the side kick.

If you could summarize TKD into one move, what would it be?...which move identify's TKD for you?

The first one step, in particular the first combined move of that technique, which I think is the most instructional and practical move in the system.

Since I don't know if all TKD schools use the same carriculum, that one step would be: from a challenge (opponent throws a right reverse punch to the face and holds it there), you step into a left front stance with a left outward block, right hand chambers at right hip. Then step your right foot to the right into a left front stance facing the opponent on an oblique. Now deliver a right reverse punch to his face, left hand chambers. Then a left reverse punch to his solar plexus, right hand chambers. Finish with a left reverse punch to his groin, right chambers.

That, to me, summs up TKD!

OP
F

Fonixz

I'm gonna have to go with the jumping spinning kicks, especially my fav, the J.S. cresent! :uhyeah:

OP
E

elcajon555

I would have to say the spin kick. TKD is also known for the power in kicks particulary in the side and spin kicks.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I agree that Side Kick is the signiture move. I also say very High kicks in general, but yeah, a especially strong Side Kick. Most people outside of MA think that spin kicks due to all the fancy breaks are the signiture moves in TKD.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the boards, but seems like a good community.

Personally I think the side kick, spin kick, and high level round kick are TKD's signature moves. When I spar my instructor he always has that mean side kick. Of course, he has thrown a few spin kicks that have floored me, but his side kick is what really hurts.

On the other hand, when I go to tournaments against guys more my own age, it is all jumps, kicking combinations, and spin kicks. It seems like when ever I take a big hit, it was either from a spinning kick or round kick.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a Chung Do Kwan student, the CDK signature move is the side kick, especially the sliding side kick. We were always told, if you're going to master one kick, make it this one.
However, I would say the signature Tae Kwon Do technique is the back side kick or back roundhouse, jumping or otherwise. If you see someone doing these techniques, especially if they use full hip rotation, they are either a TKD student or have studied it.

Latest Discussions