What is Taekwondo's Signature move?

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Which kick would you categorize as Taekwondo's signature move? If you could summarize TKD into one move, what would it be? I realize that TKD isn't limited to only one move, but I'm speaking in terms of recognizing others practicing the art. If you are observing someone practicing, which move identify's TKD for you?

:asian:

ThuNdeR_FoOT
.::FOOT CLAN::.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
People outside Tae Kwon-Do would say the jumping spin kicks. But in TKD i would say the side kick, in partcular the side thrust kick. In my 23 years in TKD i have noticed that korean and other masters will want to see that kick first and will actually judge a person's ability by that kick. I even find myself doing it !! And when i started Hapkido 16 years ago the side kick was the first thing Master Choi wanted to see and that was even before I started training with him. So thats my 2 cents , hope it helps!! MITHIOS

OP
R

RCastillo

Since I do ITF, I'll go with the side kick also. It's prevelant in many of the forms.:asian:

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I think I would agree with the side kick. Many people judge you based on how well a side kick can be done. But if I were going to recognize someone practicing TKD, I would have to say the Axe kick would be th giveaway for me. From what I've seen, TKD players throw it a way that is reasily identifiable.:asian:

OP
G

Galvatron

The "45" roundhouse, axe kick, and back kick are definitely the three most thown kicks in (WTF) Taekwondo.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Which kick would you categorize as Taekwondo's signature move?

Charging $500+ for a BB test for an 8yr old...:rofl: :boing2:

Sorry, I've been fighting the urge to post that since this thread was started and I finally gave in. :p

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by A.R.K.

Sorry, I've been fighting the urge to post that since this thread was started and I finally gave in. :p

Whoa, back up here. That's WTF, only!!!:)

OP
D

Disco

This is based on WTF competition from my general area. The young guns, 1st and 2nd BB open with an fast moving outside axe kick. Operative word here is fast. Iv'e seen lots of tko's with this opening move. Would I use it in the street? No way!... But were talking tournament fighting.
:asian:

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by RCastillo
It's ok, stay out of the heat. :)

I understand this point. But the thread question was more to the point of " with which kick would you be able to identify TKD?".

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say the roundhouse. My boyfriend's school, everyone uses it mostly when they spar. But in general, I'd say the spin kicks.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.

HAHAHAHAHA :D :rofl: :rofl:

Unfortunately it's true...:eek: :(

Anyway, back to the subject of kicks, I'd vote for the basic roundhouse kick. IMO it's the most commonly used kick in sparring. Although those flashy, jumping kicks, especially the 360s look a lot cooler.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
In and earlier post i put the side kick. Well since when most people think of tkd these days, they are thinking of the wtf olyimpic (sp ?) version !!! Then for that compitition system i would have to say the semi-round and axe kick. MITHIOS

OP
T

TKDman

Lmao:rofl: , yea the TKD signature move has to be the Round-House or Butterfly Round-House.... just go to a tournament! haha