What is Strength?

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

Was wondering how you guys (and ladies) define strength? It seems like there are many things born of strength, such as grace, compassion, mercy love, kindness, perserverence, etc., but how do you define strength without brining it's "blossoms" into the mix? Obviously, there are also the darker sides of strength that I haven't mentioned but how you define what is at the base of it all? I'd imagine there are people that'd argue that it's internal, external, and/or a combination of both. Whatever strength is, it seems like it'd be a pretty big thing.

Taking that into consideration, is it even possible to define it? Sorry, just feeling a little ponderous today.

Have a nice day/night all,

Fu Bag :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strength is the courage to put all your will into anything

alright that was a try at least

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel that it has to do with giving up one's self in an attempt to overcome an obstacle, regardless of whether or not you succeed. It has a definate tie to perseverance.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see strength as the ability to do.
Also to endure, or to resist attack. This can be physically, mentally, or spiritually.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would define stregnth as the ability and drive to keep going in the face of resistance, obstacles or hardship.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

I was thinking about this some more and I'm thinking that maybe the "blossoms" all combine to make the whole instead of the other way around. Sometimes, strength is holding tight no matter what. At other times, strength is being able to let go, move on, and endure. Sometimes, strength is the ability to resist anything and everything, while at other times, it's the ability to accept help and/or healing. I guess at times, strength and weakness are one and the same depending on context.

Martial arts are a perfect example of this, as is life. I don't know how I missed it before. Duh me, I guess. The original question I asked myself was "what kind of strength could create lasting peace". I guess the answer, which was staring right at me, was "a balanced strength".

An unbalanced strength leads to things being broken. Agghh. I guess all those differing viewpoints are valuable afterall........ Drats!!! There go my plans for World Domination.... ;)

Have a nice day/night All,

Fu Bag :D

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

I was thinking about this some more and I'm thinking that maybe the "blossoms" all combine to make the whole instead of the other way around. Sometimes, strength is holding tight no matter what. At other times, strength is being able to let go, move on, and endure. Sometimes, strength is the ability to resist anything and everything, while at other times, it's the ability to accept help and/or healing. I guess at times, strength and weakness are one and the same depending on context.

Martial arts are a perfect example of this, as is life. I don't know how I missed it before. Duh me, I guess. The original question I asked myself was "what kind of strength could create lasting peace". I guess the answer, which was staring right at me, was "a balanced strength".

An unbalanced strength leads to things being broken. Agghh. I guess all those differing viewpoints are valuable afterall........ Drats!!! There go my plans for World Domination.... ;)

Have a nice day/night All,

Fu Bag :D

Don't give up your plans, if you use a "balanced strength" you've still got a shot, World Domination can still be yours :D

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't give up your plans, if you use a "balanced strength" you've still got a shot, World Domination can still be yours :D

LOL!!!! Ooooohhhhhhh..... I LIKE the way you THINK!!!!!! YES!!! The world is MINE!!!!!

(queue Darth Fu Bag music....)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL!!!! Ooooohhhhhhh..... I LIKE the way you THINK!!!!!! YES!!! The world is MINE!!!!!

(queue Darth Fu Bag music....)

Darth Fu Bag! :D :D :D You may have to bring out your sig file for that one Fu Bag ;)

Personally I really like ShirtRipper's description - "Strength is the ability to apply force against a resistance." Personally I think that is true in very many ways :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the martial arts sense?

The ability to remove peoples teeth without the aid of dental equipment :D

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Strength is the mental and physical means to get something done when you must.

Wisdom is the mental and physical means to know when to employ strength.

:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strength is the inner side telling the outer side to never give up and keep going

Joel20

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, it's not only about courage and not giving up like others have said which I do agree with but I think it is more than that. True strength is something internal.

Someone who has true strength has the strength to recognise and admit to themselves and others what their weaknesses are not only in terms of their physical martial arts training but also the weaknesses in their character and as a person.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Darth Fu Bag! :D :D :D You may have to bring out your sig file for that one Fu Bag ;)

:D I try to model myself after Dark Helmet from Spaceballs. World Domination didn't work so well for him but he probably wasn't using a "balanced" strength. I've been studying some Pinky and The Brain videos lately so I should be fine once I put my plans into action....... Mmmmwwwwaaaaahhhhaahhhaahhhaaahhhaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the martial arts sense?

The ability to remove peoples teeth without the aid of dental equipment :D

True.....but what if you were using the dental equipment..........inappropriately...............???
Bbbwwwaaaaahhhhhhaaaahhhaaahhaahhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Oh yes, my plans for World Domination are coming along quite nicely..........

:D

Latest Discussions