what is starring

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, crap. Kyokushin sparring is even scarier. In Kyokushin, you usually have to spar your whole dojo to become a black belt. In Japan, this can involve fights with upwards of 100 students.

OP
senseiblackbelt

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, crap. Kyokushin sparring is even scarier. In Kyokushin, you usually have to spar your whole dojo to become a black belt. In Japan, this can involve fights with upwards of 100 students.

youve gotta b lovely kidding.

OP
senseiblackbelt

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is life or death combat, in which the members of your dojo/dojang rally together and travel to another nearby dojo. When you arrive, you and your fellow students find opponents amongst the members of the enemy school and take weapons off the walls (...in my experience, the weapon of choice is the bokken, or wooden sword.)

When the 1st set of fights are over, the surviving fighters find new opponents, and this goes on until only one dojo is still standing.

At my last sparring match, i defeated an assistant instructor who was well versed in the art of Kanpai (it's a form of kung fu.) He came at me with a shinai, i was able to tsuki him in the throat with my bokken and deliver a finishing strike.

Scary stuff. :bear:

in a sparring match i obviously wont win :)

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
in a sparring match i obviously wont win :)

In Japanese Martial Arts, there is a concept called Gyokusai: It means, "shattered jade." There's another concept called Sutemi: It means, "to throw away the seeds." Basically, you have to be willing to put your life on the line and fight like crazy so that you can purify yourself by way of the martial arts.

Kyokushin is just insane. At least in regular sparring you only have to fight 1 on 1, and you can use weapons to defend yourself.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hopefully you were joking. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I've heard some people say this and actually believe it.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully you were joking. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I've heard some people say this and actually believe it.

...see my 1st reply in the thread. I'm just having a bit of fun :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to use the screen name Senseiblackbelt , it would help if you knew the absolute basics.
It's an aspirational screen name, based on the old saying "choose a screen name for the job you want, not the one you have".

...see my 1st reply in the thread. I'm just having a bit of fun :)
FYI, the OP is 13 years old, so he might not always be in the best position to catch the difference between genuine answers and silly ones.

kyokushin karate
I don't know how your school (or kyokushin schools in general) handle sparring for kids. For adults, the typical sparring rules are:
No protective equipment for competition, depends on the school whether it is used for regular training
hard contact punches allowed to the body, no punches allowed to the head
hard contact kicks allowed to the legs, body, and head
No grappling

Your instructor is the best person to ask about how sparring is handled in your school.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i believe this is the first time i have seen some one quote themselves in what seems to be a grammar correction only to type the same exact word.....o_O

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's an aspirational screen name, based on the old saying "choose a screen name for the job you want, not the one you have".

FYI, the OP is 13 years old, so he might not always be in the best position to catch the difference between genuine answers and silly ones.

I don't know how your school (or kyokushin schools in general) handle sparring for kids. For adults, the typical sparring rules are:
No protective equipment for competition, depends on the school whether it is used for regular training
hard contact punches allowed to the body, no punches allowed to the head
hard contact kicks allowed to the legs, body, and head
No grappling

Your instructor is the best person to ask about how sparring is handled in your school.

Kyokushin has "lightened up" a bit. Many, if not most tournaments require protective gear for lower rank kyus. It's still very hard contact though.

Dojos reportedly use protective gear in class on a regular basis, and also go bare knuckle on a regular basis.

Kyokushin is still Kyokushin. They've smartened up a bit since my days in it. They realized that going bare knuckle every single day isn't very good for you. A lot of places will start out padded and work their way up to what you're describing.

My first Kyokushin class was interesting. I wore a cup and a mouthpiece, and sparred for about 20 minutes. A few partners were black belts. Stupid me thought "wow, I really suck; I've got to keep going back!" Truth is no one has any business free-sparring on their first night, bare knuckle or in full body armor. Especially against black belts who aren't taking it easy and working with you.

It's come a long way, and for the better. There's a lot of Kyokushin purists out there who'd disagree though.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i believe this is the first time i have seen some one quote themselves in what seems to be a grammar correction only to type the same exact word.....o_O
This website changes a more naughty word to lovely. He more than likely didn't notice..it's happened a couple of times.