Martial Artist turn Movie Star

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes a great Martial Artist turn themself into a movie star, I was ask this last night and I had no answer for them. So why do they turn into a stage of false techniques and values, that goes against what they was tought in the beginning.

Terry

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A chance to earn lots of money doing martial arts, even if it is lousy marital arts. That's my guess, anyway.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beside the money factor what is the benefits of doing movie? Becoming a celebrity I guess.
Terry

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some may turn to the entertainment industry as a way of spreading the martial arts. When a movie comes out showing a use of martial art(s), there usually is an increase of interest in whatever style(s) is/are shown. It may not always be the best type of style shown though (because, of course, it needs to comply with the hollywood flash); it is undeniable that the interest is generated anyway.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not much now, most martial arts movie stars now seem to have been actors first.

Guess it is easier to get a actor to pretend they can do martial arts then a martial artists to pretend they can act...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Beside the money factor what is the benefits of doing movie?
More money! :lol2: okay, and celeb status too.

I myself have turned down dozens of movie offers in the pursuit of keeping myself humble...:shrug:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, say if a martial art was your number one skill and passion in life and you could make money from it, I would think the draw to movie starhood would be irresistible. It comes down to what is more important: the money/fame-no privacy/security/college fund or a normal life of a dedicated martial artist. Frankly, I haven't heard of many who make six figures who just have a school. Most seem to struggle or have another primary job.

With money/fame comes more marketing possibilities and endorsements. You could start your own line of MA equipment. You could chain your school easier. Or just make movies as it doesn't seem to take much acting skill just stunt abilities, showmanship and maybe looks would help ala Van Damme. I think the public wants more but movies that are made well. I used to be involved in the movie business in San Diego in advertising. It takes a backer, a studio, alot of money to endorse an unknown martial artist. It would be hard to get started. Look at Jackie Chan's first movies, or Chuck Norris early ones-low budget just to get the name out and hopefully to get backing. Not an easy business, as some stardom is hard to come by. TW

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would think it is for the fame and fortune. Money still talks in this world!

:ninja:

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyones gotta make some money to stay alive. Its only a matter of selling out thats the problem...But mainstreaming MA is great in my mind

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
More money! :lol2: okay, and celeb status too.

I myself have turned down dozens of movie offers in the pursuit of keeping myself humble...:shrug:

Yea me too the over forty and looks like a human is big nowadays for the movie industry.
Terry

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is not just money, its status, being recognized, being able to walk into places and be seen as larger than life. Anyway those are the reasons I think, why most martial arts movies are so far away from reality in terms of techniques, because the movies would be pretty boring to the average viewer if they were more realistic. Atleast that is my opinion anyway. I guess I am not really one for martial arts movies because of all the b/s in them, I ll take a comedy flick or a horror film any day over them.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What makes a great Martial Artist turn themself into a movie star, I was ask this last night and I had no answer for them. So why do they turn into a stage of false techniques and values, that goes against what they was tought in the beginning.

Terry

I really don't think their taking the plunge into Stardom is in any way selling out. The MA world would be far poorer and far smaller without Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, etc. movies drawing young folks into the fold. For example, I loved "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" while at the same time recognizing it as no more realistic than a Batman movie. However, I know of at least ONE person in my circle of friends who it inspired to learn Mandarin and study Chinese Martial Arts. Hollywood distorts ALL fields. For instance, real experts say that intelligence field work is generally about as exciting as watching paint dry. Endless nights of stake outs that more often than not, do not pan out, long hours sifting through boring documents, etc.. TV or Cinema condenses an entire career of action in one or two hours.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know who else has a great job...

Martial Arts Fight Corriographers(sp)...

Its that job that I wouldn't mind having....For one, your not in the lime light, and everyone and their brother isn't pineing to get your autograph, so if you want to go to a family members MA tourny or something, you can be approched as a normal person..So you can keep your privacy...

Two, you get all of the money you would need...For movies like Crouching Tiger...and "The Matrix"...and you will always see your work...you will be immortalized in your work.

So Corriographers have got it made, but usually Directors go with someone well known.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, as a serious martial artist that has gotten into stunts and acting for movies I can tell you about my motivation. First, I didnt get into this thinking about becoming a "big star", maybe others felt the same way and when they became stars it was just a fluke or lucky break and they went with it. I for one LOVE movies, and I love a good martial arts film, although there are few good ones. My favorites are fist of legend starring Jet Li, Tom Yum goong starring Tony Jaa and Fighter in the wind starring some Korean dude.

Anyway, Ive always wanted to be part of the whole movie thing, I would have been happy being a crew member for the set, I just love the magic of movies. But I started as an extra and moved onto stunts and martial arts action and now Im in acting... it just kind of moves up like that if you stick with it I guess. But my big dream was to kick and be kicked by an action star, not for me to become an action star. But once I realised my dream I wanted more, I think this is normal in the industry, you set more and more goals when you achieve the last one. It was never about being a star or getting money... HOWEVER, as my roles are getting bigger so is the money and NOW Im starting to look at it as a good money maker. Its the easiest job in the world and to me the most fun. And to get paid good money for it is a ridiculous bonus as far as I see it. I look forward to any future work I get, its all very exciting to me.

As far as selling out... what the frik are you talking about? Movies are entertainment, not documentaries or educational tools on how to train/fight/be a martial artist. They are FUN!

So I hope that adds a perspective to the debate and gives some intuition as to what a martial artist turned movie star might have been thinking, maybe they started out with my frame of mind.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a fight choreographer for films in the DFW area, though my main persuit is instructing students at my school in Arlington.

I've made 8mm film for fun as a kid using MA, then for-fun video skits and such.

While I was faculty at UT-Arlington (teaching MA), somene suggested I try acting and get onto Walker Texas Ranger. After submitting photos to agents in the area, one called and wanted to get me as an "extra" on Walker Texas Ranger. I worked on 3 episodes as a cop, party guest, and court patron. This led to other independent films. This served as a vehicle to meet people in the crew that would find out my profession in normal day life. This led to me getting into fight choreography and stunts - which is my primary role when I work on a film. - As mentioned in a previous post, this is a great way to help other people(actors) look good, and to promote martial arts. To think someone can just jump into acting because they are good at martial arts is naiive, and rarely happens. I've met many, many talented actors/actresses in the film business. They regularly attend acting classes and workshops and are struggling to make ends($$$) meet in this profession.

If it is your dream to be "the next Chuck Norris" then you should go for it. It will take lots of hard work and struggling. You'll need to take acting classes and do "freebies" to gain experience on a movie set.

Link to a few of my credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1197379/

Please ask if you have any questions.

R. McLain

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had 2 female friends who both went from MA into stunt work. I've talked w/ both about it to some degree. They make $$ doing what they love. The work isn't always steady. But its good $$ when you're workin. And it sure beats sitting behind a desk @ a computer all day.

One friend has had a chance to get her face & name on camera & starred on a show for awhile. She'd like to be a bigger "star" but settles for stunt work. She's a struggling actor working in stunts. Its an interesting life, but I wouldn't say its glamourous.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When Jet Li turned 18 the only skills he had were in Wushu, that didn't leave him with many options so when he was offered a role in movies he took them. It provided for his family so why not.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Movies have done alot to promote the MA. And most people should know Movies have to add a little something extra to promote the movie. So you have to act. Stunts are hard work. Fighting in a movie is alot of work making it look good even though it may not be real it attracts people. And that attracts people to the different dojos. Kwoons ect. If you had a chance would you take it to be able to put your hard learned training to a possible large money making chance. Most would after all money is what we all have to work for. One of my past instructors did several years doing stunt work fight scenes And such. He enjoyed it had a chance to meet many people And never sold out his training but put it to work making a living he liked at the time. Left as the life style is fast paced demanding And it was time to move on. But how many thousands of people would have probably never started there MA train had they not seen a M/A based movie.

Latest Discussions