Stars and their Styles

OP
W

white dragon

I don't think Mark Dacascos actually studied Capoiriea to a rank, I could be wrong here but I think he just took some classes for that film he made (Only the Strong?) as I'm almost sure he mentions only having done it a couple of times on the Drive DVD. Also on there I think you can see him (for about 30 seconds or so) doing some kin of kajukembo/won hop form too.

OP
W

white dragon

"I had studied Capoeira for only two months prior to auditioning for the role in "Only the Strong." After I got the part, I was able to train five more months before the filming. My Capoeira teacher is Amen Santo, who also played my teacher in the movie. "

That's from Mark's website, but I don't know if he kept it up, but he does say:

"I've taken only a couple of Capoeira classes since filming "Only the Strong," but I am planning on going back to Amen's class and training on a regular basis... hopefully sometime in the not-too-distant future."

OP
V

vincefuess

This month's BBM has a pretty good article on martial artists who teach the stars, but in usual BBM fashion they only touched the tip of the iceberg (I only bought a copy cuz I needed something to read while having some tests at the hospital).

They talked about Pat Johnson, Tak Kubota, Richard Norton, Jerry Poteet, and Benny Urquidez. The story more or less underlined what I always felt to be the case, that the stars were taught specific techniques in specific scenarios to serve the needs of the picture (at least in movies with actual movie stars, and not "martial arts stars").

There are a GREAT NUMBER of martial artists who work behind the scenes making stars look competent as martial artists on film, especially in the roles of body-doubles and adversaries. Micheal DePasquale Jr. even offers a training school for doing just that!

In his day, Ed Parker was one of the most prolific advisors on MA action the industry ever had. Without him, those WONDERFUL rumbles between Clouseau and Kato wouldn't have been near the fun they are!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

In his day, Ed Parker was one of the most prolific advisors on MA action the industry ever had. Without him, those WONDERFUL rumbles between Clouseau and Kato wouldn't have been near the fun they are!

Those were great! I didn't know he choreographed them--I remember the film he had a part in but didn't know that he worked behind the scenes too!

OP
V

vincefuess

Back in the 60's, Ed Parker was the man who brought martial arts to Hollywood (including Bruce Lee)- in every martial arts scene in every movie made in the 60's, he had some hand in it.

OP
D

Drunken Master

Originally posted by Mantis Leg

I won't argue that some schools of martial arts don't bring the students deep into the principles, but there are schools out there that are "complete."

Sorry about this. but that statement, is either based on inexperience or ignorance. I have never seen of heard of any style which is complete other then in the minds of brain washed students.

No doubt it would be called Karawingtaejufujutsudo- Hapkiaikishotokaikanryu.

But if you know of one please let me know, because I would love to try it.

OP
S

sweeper

whether or not it has all been done before, when people create new arts something changes.. Usualy there are no new techniques, but the phylosophy or the teaching method or the way you train it changes, so usualy when there is a new art that comes into being it offers something new relative to what is available.

Man I hope that made sence to someone :p

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by sweeper

whether or not it has all been done before, when people create new arts something changes.. Usualy there are no new techniques, but the phylosophy or the teaching method or the way you train it changes, so usualy when there is a new art that comes into being it offers something new relative to what is available.

Man I hope that made sence to someone :p
Sweeper, i tend to agree with you here. When a new art is formed, old non usable techniques, kata, etc, are exculded! Some are just rearranged to be effective for the purpose which they will serve in modern day martial training. There seems to be a new philosophy of the original teaching methodology, which will also set the presidence for this new system to evolve by. My system in which i teach uses all the original techniques of the founders'! Yet, it is very different in mainstream evolution within the original system. The addition of not using the system as an offensive style brings to light the system's technique's ability to become more brutal in there defensive executions. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
D

DJDragon

Does anyone know the style of Pablo Montalban?

He played Kung Lao on the TV series Mortal Kombat Conquest.

I have a hard time trying to figure out his style.