My stretching machine just broke

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My stretching machine just broke but I suppose that's how it is with most martial arts gear, it gets worn out and eventually breaks. It was a good machine and it lasted me for years but now its time to replace it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? What do you get from this machine that you couldn't get without one?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could always be worse, your knicker elastic could have broken instead.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My stretching machine just broke but I suppose that's how it is with most martial arts gear, it gets worn out and eventually breaks. It was a good machine and it lasted me for years but now its time to replace it.
Can't you just stretch without it?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't you start! We do not want a thread on stretching machines thank you! ( unless it's death by stretching machine of course) :D

We have one of those stretching machines, which I call "the rack"... I honestly don't think it's the slightest bit more effective than just plain stretching. In point of fact, I think it's probably less effective since it's so limited. But some people want toys to play with.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You guys seem oddly upset that the OP uses a stretching machine. Is there something actually wrong with using one?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys seem oddly upset that the OP uses a stretching machine.

Seems quite a stretch (see what I did there?) to read any of these posts as being upset. You do seem to enjoy stirring the pot these days, though. Is that what this is?

Is there something actually wrong with using one?

Nope. We're asking what benefit there is to using a relatively expensive gadget compared to regular (and free) stretching exercises.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can be easier to use a stretching machine to 'ratchet' yourself wider apart and keep yourself there in a steady fashion than without a physical, restraining aid which the machine serves as. A partner helping you can accomplish the same thing, but since you don't always have a partner...

<shrugs> Like with any tool, some people will get more out of it than others. They have fallen out of favor, no doubt. I rarely see them anymore in martial arts schools. Back in the eighties they seemed to be more commonplace.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope. We're asking what benefit there is to using a relatively expensive gadget compared to regular (and free) stretching exercises.
Do stretching machines work? Are you guys saying that they don't? Presuming they work, what's the problem?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It can be easier to use a stretching machine to 'ratchet' yourself wider apart and keep yourself there in a steady fashion than without a physical, restraining aid which the machine serves as. A partner helping you can accomplish the same thing, but since you don't always have a partner...

<shrugs> Like with any tool, some people will get more out of it than others. They have fallen out of favor, no doubt. I rarely see them anymore in martial arts schools. Back in the eighties they seemed to be more commonplace.
So,it was a trendy tool that's not currently in vogue. Thanks for the explanation. So, are they a rip off, or do they actually do some good?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do stretching machines work?

Probably, since they do sort of the same thing as regular stretching, just without the versatility.

Are you guys saying that they don't?

I don't see anybody saying anything remotely like that. I see them asking a question.

Presuming they work, what's the problem?

Apparently the problem is all in your head. You really are just trying to stir the pot, aren't you?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Probably, since they do sort of the same thing as regular stretching, just without the versatility.
Probably? Do you have any actual experience with a stretching machine?
I don't see anybody saying anything remotely like that. I see them asking a question.

Apparently the problem is all in your head. You really are just trying to stir the pot, aren't you?
I think I'm just asking questions. It sounds like you think they're a waste of time. Great. The OP disagrees. Why do you keep trying to turn this into a personal attack on me?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thank you for pointing out what the machine is effective at doing. Dirty Dog this is the answer to your question.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably? Do you have any actual experience with a stretching machine?
Why yes, I do. I even mentioned earlier in the thread that we still have one. Of course, if your interest is more in pot stirring then you probably didn't read the thread.
I said,
We have one of those stretching machines, which I call "the rack"... I honestly don't think it's the slightest bit more effective than just plain stretching. In point of fact, I think it's probably less effective since it's so limited. But some people want toys to play with.

I think I'm just asking questions. It sounds like you think they're a waste of time. Great. The OP disagrees.

Wow... has anybody ever mentioned your tendency to put words in peoples mouths? I never said that. I asked (as I've pointed out before, but apparently you missed it) in what way it is thought these machines do a better job of stretching than conventional stretching exercises.

Why do you keep trying to turn this into a personal attack on me?

58920900.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing out what the machine is effective at doing. Dirty Dog this is the answer to your question.

And do you think this machines does a better job than conventional stretching exercises? If so, why do you think so?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why yes, I do. I even mentioned earlier in the thread that we still have one. Of course, if your interest is more in pot stirring then you probably didn't read the thread.
I said,
Man, another jab. Come on, DD. You mention that your school has one that you call the "rack." Have you ever used it? Even in that post, where you say you've seen one, you make it sound like you've never used it. So, take a deep breath.
Wow... has anybody ever mentioned your tendency to put words in peoples mouths? I never said that. I asked (as I've pointed out before, but apparently you missed it) in what way it is thought these machines do a better job of stretching than conventional stretching exercises.
I truly wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I think it's very reasonable to have concluded from your own posts that you think stretching machines are a waste of time. So, are you now saying they are not a waste of time?
Says the pot. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions