What is Marriage.

What is the definition of marriage?

• Marriage is a partnership between a Man and a Woman.

• Marriage is a partnership between 2 people.

• Marriage is "Other" (Please specify in a reply)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In light of the current decisions in California, Florida and Arizonia, as well as 27 other US States to outlaw same-sax marriage, and several others to recognize it either as marriage, a civil union, or domestic partnership, as well as the decisions of other nations on that matter I am putting it up for opinion here.

The question is:
What Is Marriage?

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marriage is between two people who love and care deeply for each other.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If we use the actual dictionary defination we can see

a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c: the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage2: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected ; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities3: an intimate or close union

Looking at Wed:

Pronunciation: \&#712;wed\ Function: verb Inflected Form(s): wed·ded also wed; wed·ding Etymology: Middle English wedden, from Old English weddian; akin to Middle High German wetten to pledge, Old English wedd pledge, Old High German wetti, Gothic wadi, Latin vad-, vas bail, security Date: before 12th century

The Old English of Pledge and Latin Vas for secruity are void of any particular name such as Man Woman and whatever.

I put other in the Poll because by the wording for Marry:

Pronunciation: \&#712;mer-&#275;, &#712;ma-r&#275;\ Function: verb Inflected Form(s): mar·ried; mar·ry·ing Etymology: Middle English marien, from Anglo-French marier, from Latin maritare, from maritus married Date: 14th century transitive verb1 a: to join in marriage according to law or custom b: to give in marriage <married his daughter to his partner's son> c: to take as spouse : wed <married the girl next door> d: to perform the ceremony of marriage for <a priest will marry them> e: to obtain by marriage <marry wealth>2: to unite in close and usually permanent relation

We see again 1. To join in marriage which brings us back to Marriage which has 1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage.

So by the defination of the word anything can wed anything.
Marriage is a binding contract in which at the court house you sign paper.

The relgious union is a cermony of the Binding of the contract.

So Let those who wish to marry be married in good health!!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about a legal definition? Tada
marriage
n. the joining of a male and female in matrimony by a person qualified by law to perform the ceremony (a minister, priest, judge, justice of the peace or some similar official), after having obtained a valid marriage license (which requires a blood test for venereal disease in about a third of the states and a waiting period from one to five days in several). The standard age for marriage without parental consent is 18 except for Georgia and Wyoming where it is 16, Rhode Island where women can marry at 16, and Mississippi in which it is 17 for boys and 15 for girls. More than half the states allow marriages at lesser ages with parental consent, going as low as 14 for both sexes in Alabama, Texas and Utah. Marriages in which the age requirements are not met can be annulled. Fourteen states recognize so-called "common law marriages" which establish a legal marriage for people who have lived together by agreement as husband and wife for a lengthy period of time without legal formalities.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or these from Wikipedia

Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state or by religious authority. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.

Marriage may take many forms: for example, a union between one man and one woman as husband and wife is a monogamous heterosexual marriage; polygamy &#8211; in which a person takes more than one spouse &#8211; is common in some societies.[3] Recently, some jurisdictions[4] and denominations[5][6][7] have begun to recognize same-sex marriage, uniting people of the same sex.

Nolo says this:
marriage

The legal union of two people. Once a couple is married, their rights and responsibilities toward one another concerning property and support are defined by the laws of the state in which they live. A marriage can only be terminated by a court granting a divorce or annulment.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The legal defination is Skewed.

The word Marriage as far as the legal wording is not Marriage.

Matrimony is not the defination of Marriage.

Pronunciation: \&#712;ma-tr&#601;-&#716;m&#333;-n&#275;\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French matrimoignie, from Latin matrimonium, from matr-, mater mother, matron — more at mother Date: 14th century : the union of man and woman as husband and wife
See what happens when rules are made by people who have there own agenda and do not understand what the word means.

Matr which goes into matriarch which means:

1. a mother who rules her family or tribe; specif., a woman who is head of a matriarchy
  2. a highly respected elderly woman
So you can see by defination and the root of the wording it does not fit.

Now if someone decides to percieve it as that then we are the victims of ignorance which is the result of misuse of the word.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is Marriage?... oohh alright...

Marwarrage, marwarrge is what brwings us togewther towday.

(sorry Bob... couldn't resist)

I grew up taught that marriage is between a man and a woman. I still believe in that. If two men or two women want to live a life of cohabitation together like unto a marriage then that's okay, their decision and their life.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, I have a secondary question or 2.

If you believe that marriage is a -Spiritual- thing,

1- Should people who do not share your faith be allowed to marry? and
2- Should people who have no faith be allowed to marry?

If you believe that marriage is for -Procreation, should those who are unable to have kids be allowed to marry?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Marriage is a legally binding union between a group of people where individuals agree to share resources.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As history has shown, the definition of marriage is mutable. What once was an exchange of property (woman for dowry) is now a weirdly fuddled wedge issue.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to clarify my idea here, I'm not looking for this thread to be a debate. Just a friendly listing of opinion/belief/position, a simple poll, and some extra supporting info.

We're doing tons of debate in another thread, think we can go light here. :)

My position:
Marriage is the common term describing a legally recognized partnership between 2 people who are of the legally accepted age within their community. A couple so joined is recognized to posess specific rights, responsibilities and privilages in regards to society, their family and themselves. Those recognized as married by their community may also choose to be recognized by a faith that they may share, which may grant privilages, bestow responsibilities and recognize rights included with or seperate from those contained within the civil marriage.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In light of the current decisions in California, Florida and Arizonia, as well as 27 other US States to outlaw same-sax marriage,

I don't believe in Same-Sax marriage. I think All Saxes should be required to marry Trombones.

But as far as Marriage between two people goes: I think the definitions vary from person to person... To some its a spirtual union, others, its a Financial one, to some, its a physical one (sharing space, not a sexual thing) some have multiple partners, so it's hard to define. I did pick "A partnership between two people" in the poll, because I think thats most common.

Personally, if the government would get the hell out of it... we'd all be much better. BUT that won't happen because then your wife couldn't get half your stuff when she leaves. :p

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1- Should people who do not share your faith be allowed to marry? and
2- Should people who have no faith be allowed to marry?

If you believe that marriage is for -Procreation, should those who are unable to have kids be allowed to marry?

Yes. And I think marriage is a universal concept. marriages exist in every major region. marriage does not need religion to meet the quota of what the defination of marriage is. Religion or better ritual custom has played a key role in marriage. But that role was used either as a sealed means of contract or celebration of union.

You need faith only in the other thing being married with. I use thing because people marry Barbies and animals in other countries:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10694972/

Hmm that third question would be a good one for the Dolphin!! :lfao:

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To me, marriage ideally is an act of lifelong commitment between two people. As long as those two people are consenting adults and know what they are getting themselves into, their gender doesn't matter to me.

One argument of late is whether or not two people of the same sex getting married somehow weakens this institution. I believe the true assault on marriage is the idea that if things don't work out we can just divorce and start over. Now don't get me wrong, I do realize that sometimes things don't work out, but when we have high profile people getting married on Friday and divorced on Monday, then this is far more detrimental than two men finally getting married after a committed ten year relationship.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, I've "married" some couples-there's a phrase I use to point out what "marriage is":I don't marry you, the "church" dosen't marry you, the government doesn't marry you, and God doesn't marry you.You marry each other.

Marriage is a covenant - a formal, solemn and binding agreement.

That said, in our society-indeed, in most societies today, there are two marraiges-the one that constitutes that covenant-whether it be before a priest, minister, high priestess, medicine man, shaman, rabbi, imam, ship's captain(though this is a special case, as all the other's might be), Buddhist monk, Taoist priest, Shinto priest, President of a biker club, minister, minister in the Church of Universal Life, heirophant, mednicant, officiant, facilitator, best friend, or simply the couple (or more!) exchanging vows on a mountain top under a star-filled night sky.

People exchange promises to each other, and try to keep them while they live together. That's a marriage.

The other form of marriage is the one that sometimes requires blood-tests, and usually requires fees, a license, and a certification from the state-though, in some states, any officiant (see above) can obtain (for a fee) the ability to certify marriages-just as I have in New Mexico- so there may in fact be only one ceremony-just as there may be if they choose to be wed before a Justice of the Peace, ship's captain (special!), or other person of legal authority. This marriage has little to do with the covenant, and everything to do with property rights, custody, legal name changes, legitimacy of heirs, credit, insurance, etc., etc., etc. Is such an institution necessary? I dunno. It's been that way for more than a hundred years now ; once, you got "married by the church," or by "common law" (see:couple on mountaintop exchanging vows, etc..) and that was it. Now, the state is involved, and taxes and records are involved, and that may be a good thing-as in the lady in the Bentley with the vanity plates that say "WASHIS"-or a bad thing, as in the man who owned that Bentley with the vanity plates....:lol:

Or "good thing" as in simply being to sit with your loved one in the hospital, making decisions about their care and holding their hand while they die, and remaining legally able to stay in your home, raise your kids,and collect insurance and pensions.

In these senses, I chose "other." Having engaged in a brief experiment in polygamy in my early 20's, and having known some "polyamorous" unions of others, I'd say it could be between more than two people-though, I can't for the life of me imagine putting up with more than one woman on a daily basis now..:lfao:

At the end of the day, though-marriage boils down to that one thing: people exchange promises, and try to keep them while they make a life together. Indeed, those promises are the very basis of their life together. That's pretty much it, IMNSHO......

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marriage is a an agreement (legal, religious, etc.) between a group of people (group = 2 or more) who agree to share resources necessary for the welfare of the group and any children who may be produced by the group (and thereby commit to providing for the welfare of those children until they reach their majority), while providing for the mental, physical, and social needs of the adults within the marriage.

I can't recall where I read the above definition (and it is, therefore, a paraphrase, not a direct quote) but it's stuck with me for several decades.

Remember, too, that legal requirements of marriage and the religious/moral/social requirements have often been in disagreement throughout history.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marriage is commitment to someone.

It is accepting that person for all their good and all their faults. It is a willingness to work through the bad times and share your joys.

It is allowing someone to love you for who you are.

Latest Discussions