What is a student

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What or why do you consider a student in or of the martial arts?

now I know this may seem a simple question but I find that there are many answeres many of which could be debated and many of which may not be the same for each person

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW this is a great question;

First off let me say this I have 67 paying customer out of the 67 we have exactly 11 students. The rest are just people finding time to either stay in shape or have there kids here for a extra physical activity.

Out of my 11 the reason I consider them student is simple they train everyday and have the sense to know that training is also done outside the classroom and with books and seminars to help enhance there ability.
Every single one of those 11 will be here to train no matter what else is going on in there lifes. They are here for the spiritual as well as the physical aspect of training.

This is what I believe seperate the student from the rest.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me a student is someone who wants to learn, so by extension a student of MA is one who wants to and works to learn MA.

I think it is as straight forward as that.

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A student of anything is one who studies. Just showing up only half counts. They must also study. That means thinking about and practicing the art on their own time between classes.

One class per week would suffice for those who actually study. For those who just show up, not even five days a week are anywhere near enough.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those are both great answeres but I amsure there must be other thoughts on the subject

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A student is someone that comes to class with a open mind. Who has no ego and is willing to learn even if thay are a black belt and a yellow belt says something that make total sence and that black belt just learned some. and gives the yellow belt prase for the lesson at that time.

a student is someone who knows for every 1 min. late to class is 10 pushs ups . and comes to class 30 min late because of traffic and does the 300 push ups because he or she did not want to miss something in class.

a student is someone who puts in 100% of what thay have that day and never goes threw the movements.

a student is always going on the path set before them but is also willing to travel done a wooden area that no one else has made smooth for them.

my 2 cents

Kosho

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The ONE who teaches (can be a student too)is the teacher, everyone else there to learn may be call students.

Knowing the difference between what a teacher does and what a student learns helps in determine who is who?

I like the part where you can have many paying people, only a few are actully students. It is like some of you are fisherman and others' just fishing.

The fisherman who catches fish? Is the master/ or can become the teacher.
The person who is still fishing? ....can teach of ways of how NOT to catch fish and still be consider a teacher?

So with this in mind.........Teacher and student can be the same person....in martial arts even the teacher can learn from his students. This is when the teacher learns from his student. Students who learn from a teacher know who the teachers are.

Most of us will be a student for life, even if we teach! There is so much to learn...learning is endless..........BY still learning

Aloha
PS:
( to teach one self- who is the teacher? who is the student? IT is ONE self? ) We are both of these

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A student of anything is one who studies. Just showing up only half counts. They must also study. That means thinking about and practicing the art on their own time between classes.

One class per week would suffice for those who actually study. For those who just show up, not even five days a week are anywhere near enough.

I agree. There are those who come to class, who learn, who progress... and who consider the MA(s) they train in to be something they pay for with their dues, and nothing more. Then there are students - people who train on their own, who go to other classes to gain greater experience (something I encourage), who think about things taught in class when they are elsewhere, and ask insightful questions that make the instructor and other students think about what/how/why they are doing what they are doing - people who train to improve themselves and don't care about rank, except in that greater rank allows them greater opportunity to learn, for the sake of learning.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

As much as i agree with this statement, and certainly there are ppl in my class that i would hesitate to call "students" (as they seem to be there simply for social reasons or a very expensive workout), i think the term must be a little more democratic. I mean, there are slack students and bad students. There are many who don't do squat outside of class, for whatever reason - but are still capable of slowly progressing. There are heaps of students of Taiji who couldn't give a rat's about the martial applications, but know the qi-gong and forms well enough to compete or demonstrate. It seems to be a minority who actually care about the whole package of an art enough, and are self-directed enough, and have the time/energy to commit to it, that study MA in detail.

I agree with kosho about the humility and open-mindedness aspects of being a student. I guess if i had to nominate something that unites us all as students, those characteristics would fit the bill.

Oh, maybe not, just thought of something... what about those cocky students who want to fight and find it hard to let go enough to learn? Y'know, the ones with the chip on their shoulder. I guess once they learn to relax a bit the open-mindedness and humility comes... but aren't they students before that too?

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A studfent is someone who wants to know and understand what they're studying and is willing to put in the time in class and outside of class toward that goal. Simply coming to class and going through the motions isn't enough. The student asks questions and strives for a deeper understanding and greater skill whether it's painting or MA.

Latest Discussions