The proper use of reference books in MA

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you use books in your practice/instruction of MA?

Here's how I use them:

Books are great... books are wonderful - remember, my father is a librarian, and I firmly believe this. Without reference books, much knowledge would be lost.

However, when I teach TKD, I tend to avoid recommending books on applications to my students, because I would rather they experiment with techniques and discover uses for them themselves than rely on a book to tell them the "right" way to use a technique. There are quite a few books out there than do that - some good, some bad, some so-so - but many of them state, clearly or implicitly, that they have "the answer", the one and only meaning (or 2 meanings, or however many are given), and no other applications are possible but those given. IMHO, this limits and inhibits students.

I guide my students into discovering that the techniques they learn in patterns have applications for SD; I provide them examples and challenge them to find other applications, and then provide feedback when they attempt applications that may or may not be effective, so that they can find other applications for themselves. I pull techniques from their patterns and have my students modify them, play with them, and learn to experiment for themselves - because no matter what a book says, no matter which book it is - knowledge that students gain for themselves will often have a deeper meaning, and lead to deeper understanding, than knowledge that students have handed to them.

Nonetheless, I use TKD reference books myself - but I use them as a supplement, not a bible. Books have errors - typos, translation errors, misunderstandings, items that were considered so obvious and/or basic they weren't mentioned which leave gaps, etc. - and more than that, books are static. They do not keep up with changes in technique - which is why my reference books are all written in, because, like any text, I take notes, about what works or doesn't, what I have questions about, what I want to know, alternate applications, and so on.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here's how I use them:

Books are great... books are wonderful - remember, my father is a librarian, and I firmly believe this. Without reference books, much knowledge would be lost.

However, when I teach TKD, I tend to avoid recommending books on applications to my students, because I would rather they experiment with techniques and discover uses for them themselves than rely on a book to tell them the "right" way to use a technique. There are quite a few books out there than do that - some good, some bad, some so-so - but many of them state, clearly or implicitly, that they have "the answer", the one and only meaning (or 2 meanings, or however many are given), and no other applications are possible but those given. IMHO, this limits and inhibits students.

I guide my students into discovering that the techniques they learn in patterns have applications for SD; I provide them examples and challenge them to find other applications, and then provide feedback when they attempt applications that may or may not be effective, so that they can find other applications for themselves. I pull techniques from their patterns and have my students modify them, play with them, and learn to experiment for themselves - because no matter what a book says, no matter which book it is - knowledge that students gain for themselves will often have a deeper meaning, and lead to deeper understanding, than knowledge that students have handed to them.

Nonetheless, I use TKD reference books myself - but I use them as a supplement, not a bible. Books have errors - typos, translation errors, misunderstandings, items that were considered so obvious and/or basic they weren't mentioned which leave gaps, etc. - and more than that, books are static. They do not keep up with changes in technique - which is why my reference books are all written in, because, like any text, I take notes, about what works or doesn't, what I have questions about, what I want to know, alternate applications, and so on.

I agree with you on many points, and so does Cuong Nhu as a whole. However, we tend to recomend that students do some outside reading if they are stuck on applications. Keep in mind, we recomend that students explore the styles of influence and styles not included. Part it is also, if you find an application to a move you have a hard time with, it may open that little part of the mind that is stuck. Then the juices get flowing, and you come up with a dozen more applications. The trick (I geuss) is to make sure the student isn't useing the book as a Bible.
If a student finds a book with that tell them to get what they can, and trash it. Many books claim this (in my oppion) due to Bunkai. Bunkai tends to create a sense of "this is what this move is for, nothing else will work". Theres a reason Cuong Nhu no longer requires a student to practice Bunkai. Applications you do have to do, but not Bunkai.
A good way to help a find an application, is to change how the form is done. If it starts by going east, then west (if you start facing north); then go west first, then east. If at a corner you step forward, then step back. And so on. The applications start to flow a little quicker as an understanding of the kata gets deeper and deeper.

This is something I should PM to Kidswarrior...

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Here's how I use them:

If you mean using books to get technical information about specific techniques or forms etc, then no, i don't use books for this purpose. I have a diary where i draw out and write about what i am doing, and i'm constantly refining and amending that, but i find other ppls written descriptions of movement rather confusing (even when embelleshed with photos). I guess everyone's breakdown of movement is going to be different, and every description is going to have holes in it somewhere. I'd rather see the stuff i am learning in motion... face-to-face teaching or videos are the only sources i'll trust for this kind of thing. I might read about a technique and later go and ask my teacher about it, but i wouldn't try and intergrate it into my own understanding without that confirmation.

But i do find MA books are great for reading about other ppls journeys or insights (inspiration) or the history or philosophies of different arts. Anatomy and physiology texts are great resources for the martial artist as well.
icon7.gif

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If the book causes you to stagnate throw it out or put it back on the shelf for a while. If it inpires you, brings new perspective or insight, or leads you to discovery than it's good for martial arts and beneficial for life as a whole.

Funny thing about inspiration, usually when you try to share it with others they don't see what you do.

_Don Flatt

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think other media can and should be used to reinforce learning in the classroom. One of my instructors made his students keep learning journals and essays about certain martial concepts would be required for promotions at various gup levels. He also made certain handouts available, and there were enough to make up a small book if he had wanted to distribute it that way.

I periodically video myself performing kata and sanbon kumite (what many of you know as 3 or 5 step sparring). It's always a good method of reviewing if some of my technique has gone awry. I don't see why the same video, properly edited with voiceovers to indicate what is good form and what is bad form, could not be useful to other students.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Video taping yourself is a very enlightening experience. Helps you to see for yourself what you need to work on technically. Great for deflating the ego as well.

_Don Flatt

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am preparing the "Korean Arts" section of my book store www.kungfubooksonline.com , if you could recommend a few books on TKD, I would like to include them in my catalog.

thanks!
-David

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
These are the better TKD books available for purchase.

Advancing in Taekwondo by Richard Chun

Taekwondo:Building on the Basics by the Simpkins

Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul - Real Applications to the ITF Patterns: Vol 1 by Stuart Anslow

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am preparing the "Korean Arts" section of my book store www.kungfubooksonline.com , if you could recommend a few books on TKD, I would like to include them in my catalog.

thanks!
-David

A Martial Artist's Guide to Korean Terms, Translation, and Han-Gul, and The History of Taekwon-Do Patterns: The Ch'ang-Hon Pattern Set, Chon-Ji through Choong-Moo, both by Master Robert Mitchell - but I think the latter one is out of print at the moment.

Latest Discussions