What is a streetfighter?

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess it probably was taken out of context... Blue is Green. Things depend so much on perception.

I love training for combat, as you describe. I love learning, teaching and perfecting my skills. I am also employed by the government and I am extremely good at what I do and I enjoy feeling the pride of being extremely good at what I do and I do enjoy what I do... My actions directly result in the deaths of my enemy, so I guess you could say that I enjoy killing since I enjoy those actions that directly result in deaths...

A warrior, using my terminology, will cause the death of others but can never enjoy the thought of ending another human beings life. To a warrior, life is precious. Life is miraculous and powerful and a warrior recognizes this and is humbled. The termination of a life... any life... is to lose something that has more value that the most precious metal or jewels, so it is not done joyfully. A warrior hopes that he faces another warrior who knew how to love and live life to its fullest and love and be prepared for death at the same time. A warrior doesn't hesitate to kill, but does it coldly and efficiently, because he know that to hesitate is to meditate in a horizontal position. He may be prepared for death but he is so dedicated to the protection of his family, friends and duty that he MUST live and continue to protect them. A warrior can become two people. Gentle, loving and peaceful while being a cold, hardened weapon at the same time. It is this ability to be two people in one that allows the warrior to be at his most efficient. If one would look at his life, they would see him as a cold blooded killer because he isn't tormented by nightmares of those that he has killed. He is not a cold blooded killer, he has just learned how to live life and is reconciled, even in the act, knowing that because he has lived according to a very strict code of conduct he was in the right and did what was necessary.

This is so hard to explain... I don't know Chiduce's or anyone else's experiences, I just know mine. I serve my country as an intelligence agent so I can't go into any detail of locations or timeframe. I've been the cause of death and I've listened to their screams as they died. A member of the spec ops, infantry, pilot or artillary divisions just sees targets. Those that they kill are just faces, buildings and vehicles. They should find it very easy to reconcile themselves because there is no person behind the face. An intel agent is very different. In gathering information he learns very personal things about the target. He has become almost intimate in his knowledge about the target. The screams are of people, not just faces. Am I troubled by those screams? Not in the least. I did my duty and protected friends, family and innocent people. I feel a loss because having enemies only makes you stronger because you have to out think and out train your enemy. This is the joy of being a warrior. You respect your enemy because they give you so much. The harder they think or fight, you have to think harder and fight harder. With every new strategy or tactic they introduce, you have to develop a counter and use it against them. Your enemy is the stone on which a warrior is sharpened. You love your enemy because of all that he provides. When the enemy is gone you feel a loss because a part of you is gone. You take no joy in his termination, but you do it because the fight is over, you've won and have to seek a greater challenge.

So very hard to explain.

OP
S

sweeper

from speaking to my freinds and family that have been in the armed forces/soldeirs they didn't enjoy killing, if anything they enjoyd training and even combat however they didn't go out in hopes of killing people, they just did what they were ordered too.

OP
B

Bushido

A street fighter is a guy who has no self-esteem and no techniques (except repeated punch) and who is like a baby if you take him to the ground! :D

-Bushido

OP
S

sweeper

I would say like a baby if someone compitant in ground fighting takes him to the ground :p

OP
V

VampyrSoul2000

It's a video game!!!! And a motion picture cartoon, and a real motion picture with Van-Damn or how ever you spell his name....

hehehe..

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
First lets address what a street fighter is. A combatant who will attempt to win at all cost. As an example the "street fighter" will gauge,poke,kick, bite, and if his opponent goes down, stomp.
A sucker punch is delivered without warning in a confrontational situation,i.e. a argument with a loud mouth who won't shut up...

salute :asian:

OP
A

asoka

Originally posted by sweeper

Most martial artists who say they have been in street fights are using it as an example of a test, basicly saying they entered a fight where no rules apply and made it out.

It's a little diffrent for someone who had to fight on the street than latter learned martial arts for self deffence or some other reason.

As far as it being a badge of honour, it deppends on the situation, if you live or work in a rough area you can't always avoid a fight, it doesn't mean you go out on the street and try to beat people up. The Thesaurus is listing synonyms to street criminals, just because you engage in street fights doesn't make you a criminal. Most people who makeit a point to let everyone know they were street fighters are trying to say they know what works and what doesn't.

Sort sounds like me,I learnt to fight on the street when I was younger before I took up martial arts.

OP
A

asoka

Originally posted by Turner

Everything is a matter of individual perception.

Think about the world that you see. What if my eyes picked up the color of the sky as green and the grass as blue. I would be informed from infancy that the sky is blue and the grass is green. When someone asked me what color the sky is, I would respond blue because that was the title that everyone used. I would be calling green blue and blue green. Who is to say that this is just hypothetical? Perhaps the color I see in the sky is actually the same color that you see the grass as being... but we've indentified the grass as being green and the sky blue and so while we might be seeing something totally different we have one word that is the common frame of reference.

Thinking about this is one of the reasons I see arguments as being so silly (I still get into them, though) because a human being is a creature of habit and has a tenancy to get stuck in a single way of thinking. It is often difficult if not impossible to change someone's perspective.

I don't have the ability to convey my thoughts adequetly. Often times I say something and someone argues because they miss my point entirely and so I try to clarify and due to my continued inability to properly convey my thoughts it is seen as an argument in return. Sometimes they get the point but don't convey that they understand my point, they simply argue with it. I'm not interested in arguments at all. I just want to provide my perspective and learn from someone elses perspective.

So... words are just relative. Each person has a slightly different meaning behind each word and that is fine and good. As long as they work for you.

I choose the word Warrior instead of streetfighter to describe my training because the majority of the people I've met who've considered themselves to be streetfighters were not people that I wanted to be associated with in anyway. A street fighter has negative connotations to me. Am I right? Yes... because in my experience street fighters haven't been good human-beings... Am I wrong? Yes, because in your experience the word meant something totally different. Blue is green.

Is a soldier always a warrior? No. I've been a soldier and I've met many soldiers that I can't consider a warrior. Why? Because they didn't have a code of honor that would allow me to entrust my life to them. Yes, they were skilled on the battle field... But they were devoid of some warrior character traits. Green is blue.

Is a leader always a warrior? No. Pres. Clinton was both a Leader and the Commander in Chief of the US Military Services. Was he a warrior? Not at all. He didn't have a code of honor that created an atmostphere of trust. He didn't have the leadership skills to instill confidence in his troops. Blue is Green.

Is a teacher always a warrior? No. I've had many teachers that could care less about teaching or who they were teaching. They were just interested in making it through the day without going insane. Many just don't have the compassion and attitude of service needed to 'reach' someone.

I believe a Warrior adheres to a code of honor such as 'Chivalry' for the Knights and 'Bushido' for the Samurai. You will often find a Warrior learning the arts of war... However there will be those that follow the same code of conduct who do not study physical warfare but study mental or spiritual warfare. Being a warrior is following a way of life. You can be a Street fighter without living the warrior way of life, most do.. some street fighters, according to everyone else's definition, are warriors. You can be a martial artist without living the warrior way of life, most do... some martial artists are warriors. You can be a leader, soldier, a teacher, a lawyer or a bricklayer without living the warrior way of life, most do... some of them are warriors though. I believe that everyone has the capacity to be a warrior. Most people just don't understand what it means and most of those that do choose not to be one.

I choose the word warrior because it provides a term to a concept/idea of the person that I am or at least try to be. It works for me. I am not and never will force this term on anyone. Green is Blue and Blue is Green.

Its just a word. Like street fighter. Before this thread I would be immediately offended if someone called me a street fighter, but now I see that maybe a majority of people have a different concept of what being a street fighter is all about so I'll seek to have it clarified before I am offended.

Isn't street fighter a name of a video game.LOL

OP
A

asoka

Street fighter well that's easy to answer,a fight with no rules.

I'm not a street fighter anymore although I train and compete like one.

I'm going to join Canadian Army in September though.Now that's a gun fighter.LOL

I hope to teach some unarmed combat and street defense to the army after a few years of being in Canadian Forces.

I want to train as unarmed combat instructor.

OP
V

VampyrSoul2000

I beg to differ:

Street Fighters do have rules, the law of the street, if you will. If it is supposed to be a fist fight, then that is what it is. If it is knives, then both have knives.

No a full out brawl is something different. But in most cases all street fighters do have un-written rules.

OP
S

sweeper

the problem is the rules change deppending on who you are and where you are..

OP
K

kenposcum

A street fight is a fight, not necessarily in the street, wherein there are no rules and which is over when the person with the upper hand says it is over, generally by incapacitating his adversary(alternatively, a street fight may end when agents of law enforcement arrive and subdue the participants).
A streetfighter is a person who fights in street fights on a semi-regular basis. They are generally pretty mean and antisocial people. Many of these individuals can also be called knife- or gun-fighters, as a weapon is a surer method of winning a fight. They can also be called gang members or thugs.
When I was a pup, I thought the term streetfighter was the coolest. Boy, did I want to be a streetfighter! Well, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for...
Thankfully I am not dead. Those of you who entertain romantic notions about streetfighting should go into an economically depressed, high-crime neighborhood and shout appropriate racial slurs or perhaps just talk about everybody's mom...presto-chango, you are now a streetfighter. Enjoy!
I completely agree with Turner's definition of a warrior, and what this world desparately needs are more warriors.
:asian:

OP
B

bob919

having grown up being bullied for my stammer and my lisp physically and verbally i ha to learn to defend myelf but the only MA my parent swould let me go to was judo cause the said otherwise i would become a bully myself anyway i learned to fight pretty well back then i trained with bodyweight ecersises too (no weights parents wouldn't let me) and ended up fighting off 3 of the bullies and once i got older itook up severla martial arts trained up and now i am pretty tough. although im learnt to defend myself on the street i did not become the bully or the mugger i just fell safe knowing i can defend myslef
further more i believe learning fighting by fighting is far better than sparring for a while ok have wanded now and i hae forgotten my point :confused:

OP
B

bob919

though i should probably mention that i do not advocate street fighting of any sort only for defence i think most people who had life like mine either got tougher or got suicidal

OP
M

Master of Blades

Hmmmmm.........Im not even sure what I would call a street fighter. But I would say that its someone who uses underhand tactics to win or is not afraid to "Get there hands dirty" shall we say. Other then that it depends on the person.

Ive heard some peopler say that there are un-written rules for street fights, and allthough I agree with this, I cannot stress enough that there is always some who feel that they are above the rules.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Most streetfighters have no code of honor... What happened to chivalry? Now, streetfighters do have some rules but they are always broken, for example, the groin shot. It is viewed as cheap but people use it all the time. Only the arrogant or the very experienced would abide by the rules. Most of the time, anything goes.

OP
B

bob919

i disagree alot of street fighters have a very strict code of honour however some are dirty fighters who will pull out knives and come at you in big groups although they are reall just thugs with an oversized ego and an undersized.....you know what i mean

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob919

i disagree alot of street fighters have a very strict code of honour however some are dirty fighters who will pull out knives and come at you in big groups although they are reall just thugs with an oversized ego and an undersized.....you know what i mean

I think most "street fighters" or plain fighters in general talk alot of crap about their code of honor, but when in a fight they are getting their @ss handed to them they will pretty much resort to whatever works. To me, I avoid fighting at ALL costs, if I end up in a fight its because that person is trying to kill me or my family, then, I'll use whatever I have to to end the conflict as quickly as possible.

7sm

OP
B

bob919

most opf these replys are built from stereotypes and personal opinions

Latest Discussions