What is a practical weapon?

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to ask what people thought were practical weapons to train with? My point is that a lot of people spend a lot of time training with weapons they will never use in self defense. Such as a sword, nunchacku, sai, three section staff, etc. To me, a practical weapon to train with would more likely be the escrima sticks, or maybe even the bo staff or jo. These weapons can be easily found in a lot of situations. Break the end off a broom or mop handle and you have a jo. Break a stick in half and you have escrima sticks. Even more than that, it is more feasable that some one could carry a bo, jo, or escrima sticks with them, such as in your vehicle, rather than a sword. I am not talking about training with weapons for compitition, mainly self defense. Just wanted to ask the questions. All responses welcome. Thank you.:asian:

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would agree with you on the escrima, as well as hanbo/jo/bo. I think that these are probably what you are most likely to find in a pinch, and therefore would be the most practical. Common things like an ice scraper can also be a good suppstitute to do the same techniques with.

Also consider the small poket/ket chain sticks. Kuboton I believe they are usually called. They are pretty innocuous, and leagal in most places I belive. A regular punch or especially a hammerfist type punch will pack a lot more wallop with one of them in your hand. A small flashlight like a mini-maglight or one of the Surefires can be supstitiuted for these as well.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
I would agree with you on the escrima, as well as hanbo/jo/bo. I think that these are probably what you are most likely to find in a pinch, and therefore would be the most practical. Common things like an ice scraper can also be a good suppstitute to do the same techniques with.

Also consider the small poket/ket chain sticks. Kuboton I believe they are usually called. They are pretty innocuous, and leagal in most places I belive. A regular punch or especially a hammerfist type punch will pack a lot more wallop with one of them in your hand. A small flashlight like a mini-maglight or one of the Surefires can be supstitiuted for these as well.
That's exactly what I mean. The reality of using weapons.
Common things like an ice scraper can also be a good suppstitute to do the same techniques with.
I think this would be funny, I may start teaching this as a weapon. Can you imagine a form using this.:uhyeah:

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I wanted to ask what people thought were practical weapons to train with? My point is that a lot of people spend a lot of time training with weapons they will never use in self defense. Such as a sword, nunchacku, sai, three section staff, etc. To me, a practical weapon to train with would more likely be the escrima sticks, or maybe even the bo staff or jo. These weapons can be easily found in a lot of situations. Break the end off a broom or mop handle and you have a jo. Break a stick in half and you have escrima sticks. Even more than that, it is more feasable that some one could carry a bo, jo, or escrima sticks with them, such as in your vehicle, rather than a sword. I am not talking about training with weapons for compitition, mainly self defense. Just wanted to ask the questions. All responses welcome. Thank you.:asian:
This is a good question and has come up quite a bit. My take is this: no, I will never be in a sword fight but practicing with one teaches me other things: discipline, focus, body awareness.

But as with any weapon, access is critical. You may not always be able to get to the mop handle, but if you find one, it would be invaluable to know how to use it.

Carrying any weapon either on you or in your car is something to be very careful about. Check with an attorney/LEO/laws of your state. In Texas, clubs are illegal in some situations. If you are carrying one you could be in trouble (BTW nunchakus are considered clubs per TX law).

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this would be funny, I may start teaching this as a weapon. Can you imagine a form using this.:uhyeah:
Living in WI ice scrapers are pretty common. My teacher ususally mentions it whenever we are doing work with single escrima or the hanbo. Almost all of the techniques from them could be done with a common plastic ice scraper. Plus the blade portion at the end, which is good to be aware of, sometimes becasue you would want to hit with it, sometimes becasue you wouldn't, depending on the situation.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Living in WI ice scrapers are pretty common. My teacher ususally mentions it whenever we are doing work with single escrima or the hanbo. Almost all of the techniques from them could be done with a common plastic ice scraper. Plus the blade portion at the end, which is good to be aware of, sometimes becasue you would want to hit with it, sometimes becasue you wouldn't, depending on the situation.
I agree this could be a devastating weapon in the hands of some one who can use it.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jkn75 said:
This is a good question and has come up quite a bit. My take is this: no, I will never be in a sword fight but practicing with one teaches me other things: discipline, focus, body awareness.

But as with any weapon, access is critical. You may not always be able to get to the mop handle, but if you find one, it would be invaluable to know how to use it.

Carrying any weapon either on you or in your car is something to be very careful about. Check with an attorney/LEO/laws of your state. In Texas, clubs are illegal in some situations. If you are carrying one you could be in trouble (BTW nunchakus are considered clubs per TX law).
This is also part of what I am talking about. The laws governing the carrying of weapons. Here in TN, it is not uncommon for some one to have a "club" type weapon in their vehicle.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything in your environment can be a good weapon.

My personal favorite is the bic lighter. I'm a smoker, so I always have at least one. Hold it in your hand with the bottom up by the thumb. Put your thumb on one corner and hit somebody with the other corner.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
My weapon experience is even more limited than my MA experience, but in general, I'd say a good weapon to train with is one that you could improvise in a real life fight situation. That's one reason why I chose the staff when we had the choice between staff and broadsword. I figured it's generally easier to find a long branch, broom handle, pool cue, or the like than something resembling a broadsword. The other was that the staff basically hits while the broadsword basically cuts and I didn't fancy the idea of cutting someone up. But I remember our teacher telling us that techniques for the straight sword are also useful with something like an umbrella. I think he meant the full-size kind, not the smaller, more compact, personal sized ones. You might be able to use broadsword techniques with an umbrella, too, though. I'm sure with some other weapons, you could find everyday items that could be used with those techniques. The more exotic weapons might not have good counterparts today, but the less exotic ones could probably find some application in current society. S to some degree, I think it's up to your creativity and imagination to take some common item and decide what weapon techniques will work with it. Training with a variety of weapons may help you decide that, so even if the original weapon itself isn't useful, your training with it may be.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Escrima sticks and the bo would be the weapons of my choice to learn because there is always a stick around somewhere when you are fighting.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a bokken on the gun rack in my truck...yes, I AM the redneck samurai. :uhyeah: I think the idea that you're looking for here is what we called weapons of opportunity in the military. Anything, and I mean anything, in your environment can be used as a weapon. Right now I have several ink pens, a large coffee mug, a wireless keyboard and other items right here in front of me on the desk. Any of these items could be used as weapons. First step is to train the mind to see anything you can lay your hands on as a weapon, then start thinking of ways to use these weapons against an opponent.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
I carry a bokken on the gun rack in my truck...yes, I AM the redneck samurai. :uhyeah: I think the idea that you're looking for here is what we called weapons of opportunity in the military. Anything, and I mean anything, in your environment can be used as a weapon. Right now I have several ink pens, a large coffee mug, a wireless keyboard and other items right here in front of me on the desk. Any of these items could be used as weapons. First step is to train the mind to see anything you can lay your hands on as a weapon, then start thinking of ways to use these weapons against an opponent.
I was also in the military, and "weapons of opportunity" is exactly what I'm talking about. What weapons do people think could be trained with to help you in the "weapons of opportunity" realm?

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
A pen or a pencil is a great weapon. No one will really think twice about someone carrying one either.

I had one student from the UT-Arlington self-defense for women PE credit course I used to teach, use this one time. Using improvised weapons was a topic taught in this course.

A guy pulled up in his car along the sidewalk in which she was walking. He called out to her for directions. She approached the car and leaned over to the window to speak with him. He grabbed her and pulled her through the window and halfway into the car. She had a pen in her hand and stabbed the guy on one of his forearms. He let go and she pulled herself out of the car at which time he sped off. She then ran to the campus police department to report the incident.

R. McLain

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread!! Rutherford brought up a very good point and I agree! If we stop and look at items that are around us, we'd find that there are countless things that we could pick up and use as a weapon. Now, chances are, if we're caught walking down the street with a pair of chucks tucked into our waistband, we probably will get questioned by the police, but as it was said, being able to use that broken broom handle as Escrima sticks, or the entire handle as a bo, a pen as a kinfe, etc. we can come up with many variations.

Mike

H

Hawkeye

Correct observation. In most states with building codes, you are not allowed to carry any type of concealed "weapon" on your person and in most states if you have a bat or golf club in your posession (even in your car) and use it as a weapon you may have a problem.

UNLESS - you are the one being attacked and you are defending yourself.

That being said I believe that the most practical weapon that I have trained with is the cane. You can carry one down the street, on an airplane, anywhere.

They are heavy hardwood weapons that you can actually have with you. I only instruct on what I feel are practical weapons - knife, escrima, bo and jo staffs, cane. I do however use the nunchaku because it is a "relatively practical" weapon. Most states that prohibit martial arts weaponry, allow them if you are en-route to or from training. Since I am almost always traveling to or from training (I train at work and at home) I always have nunchakus or escrima sticks with me.

You can always find a stick to swing around.
Hawk.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe it is more important to train your self on the principles of using a weapon(s) more so than training your self to use a particular weapon. This was one of the areas that led me to study the FMAs. And when I teach I try and bring this point out by having the students use different types of weapons doing skill drills etc. etc.

Hawkeye said:
That being said I believe that the most practical weapon that I have trained with is the cane. You can carry one down the street, on an airplane, anywhere.

They are heavy hardwood weapons that you can actually have with you. I only instruct on what I feel are practical weapons - knife, escrima, bo and jo staffs, cane. I do however use the nunchaku because it is a "relatively practical" weapon. Most states that prohibit martial arts weaponry, allow them if you are en-route to or from training. Since I am almost always traveling to or from training (I train at work and at home) I always have nunchakus or escrima sticks with me.

You can always find a stick to swing around.
Hawk.

Hawk
Have you carried a cane or walking stick on an airplane lately. Pre 9/11 I did this and every time I was questioned why I needed a cane. I explained my ankle gives out sometimes due to an old injury and they let me go however post 9/11 I think there wiould be more scrutiny.

Also something to consider if you used a cane/walking stick during an attack you had better be prepared to explain to the police why you had it with you in the first place if you are a normal healthy person.

I would be careful with the nunchakus in your car or on your person,since they have a negative imagine with the police and jury's.

With repsect
Mark

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I seem to recall our teacher carrying a fan with him to some of our classes. When asked about it, I think he said that he did know fan forms and he carries it with him partially for self-defense, should it ever be necessary. I bet it was a hefty fan made for martial arts use. Now, it may be more common for a woman to have a fan than a man, but in general I don't think people would think much about someone carrying a fan around. If you can use that as a weapon to your advantage, you could consider carrying that.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will still go with the escrimas. When there is no stick around, then I can throw some rocks. :)

Latest Discussions