What is a better self defense weapon knife or baton?

D

Deleted member 39746

do you own a pistol ?

Nope, but thats not a pre requisite of knowing its potential for a weapon. Same with any weapon and anything, experience and second hand sources and observation of it being used are factors which are relevant other than first hand experience in usage of said weapon.

im sure you can find people who have never fired a pistol teaching pistol combatives.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, but thats not a pre requisite of knowing its potential for a weapon. Same with any weapon and anything, experience and second hand sources and observation of it being used are factors which are relevant other than first hand experience in usage of said weapon.

im sure you can find people who have never fired a pistol teaching pistol combatives.

I am sure there are people who have never been in a fight that teach pistol combatives.

And for the OP. bat. Because I would rather not cut someone up.

D

Deleted member 39746

I am sure there are people who have never been in a fight that teach pistol combatives.

And for the OP. bat. Because I would rather not cut someone up.

There are those people, and they are the best for teaching self defence as they have never needed to use force on anyone, so they either talked out of situations, ran or not got into them in the first place.

And you would rather break bones and cause internal bleeding than cut someone up? :p

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a hard wood stockman's cane especially when not able to carry concealed. Also carry a 5 inch fixed blade, a flashlight, and a multi tool.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Already have and can I get my penny? You told me to check my laws and everytime someone tells me to do that I charge them a penny. So far I am halfway to buying my own 700 dollar knife.
That rule only works if you inform people of it beforehand, unfortunately

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are those people, and they are the best for teaching self defence as they have never needed to use force on anyone, so they either talked out of situations, ran or not got into them in the first place.

And you would rather break bones and cause internal bleeding than cut someone up? :p

And yeah I learned to drive off a guy who never owned a car. Because he never crashed.

Yes. I really rather would.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So knife ok gotcha.

I carry my fixed blade concealed.

I have also carried concealed
Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton
non-expandig baton Though I can only conceal carry this in the winter cause it gets to hot to wear a jacket during the summer.

I could carry a gun concealed with no permit legally but I have never been big into guns.

Please elaborate?
Have you practiced using all of those? I feel like it would be more useful to train with 2 or 3 weapons, then spend time training with 10+ weapons

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you practiced using all of those? I feel like it would be more useful to train with 2 or 3 weapons, then spend time training with 10+ weapons

Mostly stick and knife. I have practiced a little with them to see what works better and such. Like for instance a sap or black jack is pretty much just a short club so I stopped carrying those and just focused on the baton. Things like a monkey fist or similar flail would always bounce back at me and such I prefer the control of a stick. Brass knuckles and similar items suffer from the issue of they dont give me enough benefit to carry them. Like if I learn to punch correctly I can get pretty close to what a brass knuckle can do.

I forgot to add stun gun to that list. I have practiced with a stun gun. Not a taser that shoots out the darts but a contact stun gun. I am not a fan of those cause of the fact that at most they deliver 30,000 volts of electricity and they really do not work all that well.

Honestly the best weapon for self defense you can buy in my opinion is pepper spray. But I am not asking what the best is I am asking what is a better self defense weapon a knife or a baton

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few posts touched on this. If you are trained in neither the baton nor the knife you are asking an impossible question to answer. I would say you may be putting yourself at added danger. Also, the never ending grey area of what constitutes self defense. You made a long list of items you have carried in the past but can you say you used them in a true SD situation?
It would be impossible the carry a 2 foot baton as a hidded EDC. In TN at least a good percentage of men still carry a sheathed knife on their belt so the knife would be a more practical EDC. And would get you fewer question and looks.
So I would ask; what is your actual goal? I get a sense you are trying to go around looking threatening, which would go against the edict of true SD.
I hope I am wrong. Please clarify you intent.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A little knowledge can be dangerous. If you're not proficient with a knife or baton, an attacker with either can cause serious damage. Even if you are proficient, there is a good chance you will suffer some degree of damage in an encounter with an armed attacker. And if the opponent is not armed, you could be in big legal trouble. I would suggest not carrying any weapon you are not trained in. Rule of thumb - avoid a weapon encounter whenever possible.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A few posts touched on this. If you are trained in neither the baton nor the knife you are asking an impossible question to answer. I would say you may be putting yourself at added danger. Also, the never ending grey area of what constitutes self defense. You made a long list of items you have carried in the past but can you say you used them in a true SD situation?
It would be impossible the carry a 2 foot baton as a hidded EDC. In TN at least a good percentage of men still carry a sheathed knife on their belt so the knife would be a more practical EDC. And would get you fewer question and looks.
So I would ask; what is your actual goal? I get a sense you are trying to go around looking threatening, which would go against the edict of true SD.
I hope I am wrong. Please clarify you intent.

I conceal carry everything. I have no intent of doing ill will I am a martial artist so I am trying to get to the "truth" of the matter.
I have training in weapons. I have never used a weapon in self defense mainly because the area of the world I live in really does not need self defense weapons. In the winter i can conceal carry a 2 foot straight baton in my jacket. I have a 3xl jacket when I would fit a 2xl jacket or smaller. the baton goes into a pocket in the bottom of the inside of the jacket. I then rest it against my shoulder with the jacket zipped up. Yes it is a little awkward if I sit down but I mainly conceal it this way if I am going for a walk.

A little knowledge can be dangerous. If you're not proficient with a knife or baton, an attacker with either can cause serious damage. Even if you are proficient, there is a good chance you will suffer some degree of damage in an encounter with an armed attacker. And if the opponent is not armed, you could be in big legal trouble. I would suggest not carrying any weapon you are not trained in. Rule of thumb - avoid a weapon encounter whenever possible.

I said in my original post that the best self defense is avoiding conflict. I am not asking about what is the best option for self defense. I am asking about 2 specific weapons. I am pretty proficient in the weapons that I carry. A knife and a baton.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Between the two choices, the knife hands down. It is an energy quotient. Much, much less energy required (given training) to do a lot more damage with the knife. Easier to conceal, and quicker to deploy given your carry example.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So knife ok gotcha.

Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton
non-expandig baton Though I can only conceal carry this in the winter cause it gets to hot to wear a jacket during the summer.

I could carry a gun concealed with no permit legally but I have never been big into guns.

Please elaborate?
You’ve carried all of these things at the same time?

Either way, what is it about your surroundings that makes you feel you need to continuously seek out the “perfect” weapon? Is your home area really so dangerous?

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You’ve carried all of these things at the same time?

Either way, what is it about your surroundings that makes you feel you need to continuously seek out the “perfect” weapon? Is your home area really so dangerous?

Because I am a martial artist and it is my hobby to eat sleep and breath martial arts and weapons. And South Dakota is pretty safe.

Not all of the weapons at the same time but I would say a mixture of 5 or so at the same time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because I am a martial artist and it is my hobby to eat sleep and breath martial arts and weapons. And South Dakota is pretty safe.

Not all of the weapons at the same time but I would say a mixture of 5 or so at the same time.
That seems like a really big arsenal to lug around with you if you live in a safe place.

I guess I just don’t get it, the need to be armed in multiple ways all the time when you live in a safe area. Seems like an obsessive and perhaps paranoid way to spend your mental energy.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That seems like a really big arsenal to lug around with you if you live in a safe place.

I guess I just don’t get it, the need to be armed in multiple ways all the time when you live in a safe area. Seems like an obsessive and perhaps paranoid way to spend your mental energy.

At the moment I only carry around my 7in fixed blade knife. Everything on that list I no longer carry due to there being better items and some of them not working.

It is what I do for a hobby.

There are people that carry around a guitar everywhere they go even if they have no time to play it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton

I think you're auditioning to be a chalk outline.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ironically, Canada define brass knuckles as a band of metal so plastic and non metal ones are allowed. last time i heard of this anyway, laws are always changing and debated on.

Legal to posses plastic knuckles.
Exception: The following goods generally do not meet the definition of prohibited weapon, and thus do not fall under tariff item 9898.00.00. Their misuse may nonetheless be punishable under other laws:

• (a) plastic knuckles do not fall within the definition of "brass knuckle";
  • (b) D-guard knives (knives with a hand-guard in the form of a "D").
"Misuse" is an interesting term, as if you were to use plastic knuckles in altercation, you would be charged with using a weapon.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You carry a 7 inch fixed blade concealed? Not saying it's impossible, but what's your draw time on that? I always want a balance between utility and ease of access when it comes to SD weapons.

Latest Discussions