What is a better self defense weapon knife or baton?

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So yes I know the best self defense is avoiding fighting and such. But I am wondering specifically on these two weapons what is better for self defense a fixed blade knife with a 7 inch blade or a 2 foot baton?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So yes I know the best self defense is avoiding fighting and such. But I am wondering specifically on these two weapons what is better for self defense a fixed blade knife with a 7 inch blade or a 2 foot baton?
all things being equal id pick the baton, not least as it reduces the likely hood that the other guy will end up dead, which tends to complicate your life some what

D

Deleted member 39746

Which ever you will carry more reliably, the knife has more killing potential a baton tends to give more reach. (for what you can conceal carry anyway)

Or can legally carry/own for that matter. I would suggest pursuing carrying some form of chemical spray as well if its legal maybe a pistol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with what rat said, whichever you will carry more reliably (and know if either are banned in your country/province/state), AND can reach easily (if you keep a baton in your backpack, not very helpful).

Beyond that, whichever one you're more comfortable with. Personally in a fight I'd be happy to have either (or one of each or two of one), but that depends on your training in both using the weapon, and in weapon retention.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Personally I think a fixed 7 inch blade is a bit much for everyday carry, I also want my SD weapon concealed. A baton offers more range and versatility(striking, locks, chokes, etc)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with what rat said, whichever you will carry more reliably (and know if either are banned in your country/province/state), AND can reach easily (if you keep a baton in your backpack, not very helpful).

Beyond that, whichever one you're more comfortable with. Personally in a fight I'd be happy to have either (or one of each or two of one), but that depends on your training in both using the weapon, and in weapon retention.
Want to add in, ill typically carry a knife or something that can be used as a knife when i go into the city, and when im driving i have a pair of heavy escrima sticks in my car. So i guess both?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we should carry knives and wooden batons. Then we could learn to whittle.

Whittle.jpg

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which ever you will carry more reliably, the knife has more killing potential a baton tends to give more reach. (for what you can conceal carry anyway)

Or can legally carry/own for that matter. I would suggest pursuing carrying some form of chemical spray as well if its legal maybe a pistol.

So knife ok gotcha.

Personally I think a fixed 7 inch blade is a bit much for everyday carry, I also want my SD weapon concealed. A baton offers more range and versatility(striking, locks, chokes, etc)

I carry my fixed blade concealed.

I have also carried concealed
Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton
non-expandig baton Though I can only conceal carry this in the winter cause it gets to hot to wear a jacket during the summer.

I could carry a gun concealed with no permit legally but I have never been big into guns.

Please elaborate?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends what you want it to do. For ending a fight decisively, I'd probably give the edge (no pun intended) to the bladed weapon. For gaining options to control/defend with less chance of doing serious harm, the baton is better.

For me, I'd personally prefer the baton. I'm more skilled with it, and likely at less risk if it ends up in the other guy's hands.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So knife ok gotcha.

Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton
non-expandig baton Though I can only conceal carry this in the winter cause it gets to hot to wear a jacket during the summer.

I could carry a gun concealed with no permit legally but I have never been big into guns.

Please elaborate?
I don't know what area you're in, but in most places in the US, a lot of that is illegal to carry. In many places, a blade that large is illegal to conceal (but legal to carry open).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So knife ok gotcha.

Brass knuckles
sap
Blackjack
monkey fist
rock in sock
lock on chain
nunchaku
manriki chain
ninja climbing claws
4 oz can of pepper spray
Expandable baton

Please elaborate?
I'd move to another city, if you have to walk round with that kit

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what area you're in, but in most places in the US, a lot of that is illegal to carry. In many places, a blade that large is illegal to conceal (but legal to carry open).

Feel free to move to South Dakota.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to move to South Dakota.
I'd check local laws if you haven't already. I've yet to find a place in the US (mind you, I've not looked anything like everywhere, so probably some places exist) where blackjacks/slapjacks and brass knuckles aren't generally illegal.

Me, I'll stay where I am.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd check local laws if you haven't already. I've yet to find a place in the US (mind you, I've not looked anything like everywhere, so probably some places exist) where blackjacks/slapjacks and brass knuckles aren't generally illegal.

Me, I'll stay where I am.

Already have and can I get my penny? You told me to check my laws and everytime someone tells me to do that I charge them a penny. So far I am halfway to buying my own 700 dollar knife.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So knife ok gotcha.

Please elaborate?

Just personal choice. Even with all the baton training I've done, I am better trained as a knife fighter.

And as a bonus (Ding! Ding! Ding!) with a good knife I can go find a decent stick and make a suitable baton.

D

Deleted member 39746

brass knuckles

ironically, Canada define brass knuckles as a band of metal so plastic and non metal ones are allowed. last time i heard of this anyway, laws are always changing and debated on.

I would go with a pistol, its the superior weapon out of all of them, carry a knife with it so you have a CQC weapon and maybe OC spray for a less than lethal ranged one. Obviously only if you want to actually carry it and will and get sufficient education and training in all to use them safely, legally and reliably. firearms training which isn't based on SD can get a little ehh in terms of using firearms from the draw in close range situations where your fists or a knife would work better. Depends on the place and course and scope of the course and instructor. Not everyone is a prodigy of their time to teach things or as good as each other or have the same views and experiences.

Oh by my reasoning of superior weapon is a pistol, at least as a concealed carry weapon. It can be used at range and point blank and has a shock wave going along with the rounds, so you have the permanent wound cavity and the one caused by the shock wave. it can also (pending round) go through clothes and other barriers effectively, again pending round and what material.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ironically, Canada define brass knuckles as a band of metal so plastic and non metal ones are allowed. last time i heard of this anyway, laws are always changing and debated on.

I would go with a pistol, its the superior weapon out of all of them, carry a knife with it so you have a CQC weapon and maybe OC spray for a less than lethal ranged one. Obviously only if you want to actually carry it and will and get sufficient education and training in all to use them safely, legally and reliably. firearms training which isn't based on SD can get a little ehh in terms of using firearms from the draw in close range situations where your fists or a knife would work better. Depends on the place and course and scope of the course and instructor. Not everyone is a prodigy of their time to teach things or as good as each other or have the same views and experiences.

Oh by my reasoning of superior weapon is a pistol, at least as a concealed carry weapon. It can be used at range and point blank and has a shock wave going along with the rounds, so you have the permanent wound cavity and the one caused by the shock wave. it can also (pending round) go through clothes and other barriers effectively, again pending round and what material.
do you own a pistol ?

Latest Discussions