What if the white belt replaced the black belt as the top belt?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because new students are superficial.
I find that a little patronising!
Along with how to apply the techniques they learn, they are taught that the belt is not important. The knowledge it represents, yes, but the belt? Not so much.
Then why give them out? Why? Avoid the misunderstanding and don’t give them out.
I have visited new schools and worn a white belt. I don't think anybody believed I had no idea what I was doing.
Are you good at ikebana? 🌺🌹🌷

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We get a lot of outside influence from a lot of places so the white belt thing kind of happens from time to time.

The trick is to be evidence based. Rather than story based.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is actually already set up sort of that way. For the serious student who continues after shodan the black belt slowly becomes white. Also by that time it's virtually torn up. My black belt is about 1/3 white and is quite rough.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that a little patronising!
That's fine. You can feel however you like.
Then why give them out? Why? Avoid the misunderstanding and don’t give them out.
Because it's not my organization and I don't make the rules. And because people sign up expecting them. If getting a belt gets them started, then great. If it's reason for continuing, then not so great. What they gain from the training should become the reason for continuing. If it's not, then the teacher isn't doing a very good job. Our school has Dan holders who have continued to train for many years without promoting. Because the belt just isn't that important.
Are you good at ikebana? 🌺🌹🌷
Doubtful. I've never tried it. Are you?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubtful. I've never tried it. Are you?
Ikebana…yes…I’m learning it. It’s an important thing for the Samurai to learn aesthetics…see martial arts historian Dave Lowry’s books.

OP
R5ky

R5ky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i would have it black as 10th kyu and white for all dan levels :D

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember Youtube ‘Korody’ -good-guy, Jesse Enkamp, wears a pink belt when he holds a seminar. I can’t remember his rational for it though….

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I seem to remember Youtube ‘Korody’ -good-guy, Jesse Enkamp, wears a pink belt when he holds a seminar. I can’t remember his rational for it though….

It's called being a hipster.

Edit. He makes every one do it.

Which sounds like less of a massive humble brag and more of an equaliser.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah as dropbear said as an equaliser. It's only at his KNX camps he does this, I've trained with him at a seminar before and we just wore our usual belt.

So people don't obsessively focus on other people's belts, compare others' skills to oneself etc. So everyone is there just to learn. Also, Jesse dubs the colour peach blossom, or "momo-iro" in Japanese hehe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to wear a red belt on Valentines Day, a green belt on St Patrick's Day, (I think I stole the idea from @Bill Mattocks) and I have a red dobak that I pair with a green belt for Christmas. I want to get a green dobak to go with that...

Shockingly, nobody seems to care what color belt I wear.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to wear a red belt on Valentines Day, a green belt on St Patrick's Day, (I think I stole the idea from @Bill Mattocks) and I have a red dobak that I pair with a green belt for Christmas. I want to get a green dobak to go with that...

I am not sure I could do that... Isn't it quite a shock to your system to have all that knowledge, skill and enlightenment suddenly dumped on you, only to have it removed again when you switch belts? I can imagine that being hard on a person.... like jumping from the hot tub into an ice bath....

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I only care if it doesn’t match your shoes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is as pretentious to wear a white belt as an instructor as it is to wear a black belt.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What if the white belt took over as the top belt from the black belt?

As a black, your techniques would be considered dirty and disorganized, whereas as a white, it would represent that your techniques are considered polished and clean.
Would you be motivated in the same way?
There are several styles where black is not the "top" belt. Judo, jujitsu, most bjj, and okinawan styles of karate commonly use red. in Vovinam/ Viet Vo Dao white IS the highest level belt and is only worn by the current Grandmaster and head of their national organization.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I'm stealing this idea, but changing Pink for VTD. Blue for earth day. Orange for halloween. But what color for Leif Erikson day?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm stealing this idea, but changing Pink for VTD. Blue for earth day. Orange for halloween. But what color for Leif Erikson day?
I am an avid diver, but prone to get sea sick. The first 1-2 days of every trip, I spend the boat rides calling Europe to talk to my buddy Ralph. After that, I'm fine. I can eat greasy cheeseburgers and pizza on the boat. But because of that, I would suggest a really roughly woven material, died a green/yellow sort of camo pattern to resemble vomit for Leif Erikson Day.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am an avid diver, but prone to get sea sick. The first 1-2 days of every trip, I spend the boat rides calling Europe to talk to my buddy Ralph. After that, I'm fine. I can eat greasy cheeseburgers and pizza on the boat. But because of that, I would suggest a really roughly woven material, died a green/yellow sort of camo pattern to resemble vomit for Leif Erikson Day.
Miracle cure for sea sickness: a small bag of Cheerios.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Miracle cure for sea sickness: a small bag of Cheerios.
All that would do is change the color of the tail of the Vomit Comet.
A better cure is reaching the dive site. First one off the boat, last one back on. That's me. Motion sickness ends once you get under.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard an interview on the radio of a local celebrity that was getting to ride with the Blue Angels. After the preflight meeting, the celeb asked the pilot "I hear everyone vomits in the air the first time... is there anything I can do about that?" The pilot told him "Eat peanut butter." The celeb asked "Does that really keep you from throwing up?" The pilot answered "Nope. But it tastes the same both ways."

Not sure, but that may help you on your next boat ride...

Latest Discussions