What have you learned from a white belt lately?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a HUGE believer in the idea that you can learn something from anybody if you have the right attitude.

Now, that could be that you learn what you DON'T do in a particular situation, or more about a particular attitude you WOULDN'T espouse.

I learn a lot about the different needs of people and the need for repitition and slower learning vs more practice.

You?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, actually, it was several of them together... last night after class I was talking to several of my students about a new student who joined, much to the delight of the previously junior student. The discussion about what each of them remembered from being a white belt, from their different perspectives (both genders, and an age range from 12 to mid-40s) and how much they enjoyed finally having a junior, reminded me that each is an individual, and needs - and more, deserves - to be treated as such. No matter that they have the same experiences from class, and the same knowledge, they are individuals - not a homogeneous group, all alike, solely because they wear the same color belt.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned that no matter how fast they seem to learn, even want more, that you have to slow instruction down for them so that it really sinks in. Just a couple of tips each time at the most. They also need the time to try to perfect those stances and kicks in the ranks where they begin to learn them before they go on.

For one overweight lady, I had to break down the form even further so that she could do a turn. From her I also learned that if you don't really want to be there training, you will think up every excuse in the book. She was trying for her son and not herself. And I was her transportation too. I told her she was doing fine (if she only came). I got a note in the mail thanking me and quitting. sigh! TW

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That my triangle needs work. After rolling with a 250lb wrestler.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A white belt has truely inspired me. He started classes showing very little aptitude but showed up every class and through lots of sweat and relentless drive he has made tremendous gains beyond belief. I was very positive and encouraging with him but I honestly didn't think he would make it past 3 classes. It's all about having the spirit!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a slightly different angle, I have remembered what it is like to be a white belt after looking at new arts recently...the excitement, nerves, anticipation, feeling clumsy and awkward, the rush of learning something new and going home to show someone.....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I am a HUGE believer in the idea that you can learn something from anybody if you have the right attitude.

Now, that could be that you learn what you DON'T do in a particular situation, or more about a particular attitude you WOULDN'T espouse.

I learn a lot about the different needs of people and the need for repitition and slower learning vs more practice.

You?

I have always stated that I can learn from someone, even if it is nothing more than patience in dealing with the person in question.

I have always tried different words to make sure it sinks in and repitition as well. Yet, the way that the untrained move is the best for the test of skills. I like it, and enjoy it.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Every time I roll with a whitebelt I am reminded how important the basics are. The way they take each step as gospel is kind of amusing to watch, but then you realise that perhaps if you didn't "modify" the basics so much that you may nail a move more often. Bit of an eye-opener.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That not everybody does things like a trained martial artist, and that if you walk around conditioned only to respond to trained fighters, an untrained one just might lay you out with something unexpected.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember the purity in the Arts everytime I see a white starting out in any Art.
Terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have learn to never underestimate anyone after haveing my ribs broken one day by a white belt in his fist sparring session

I have also learned that my patience runs out faster these days when I see a student not trying or goofing off in class

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember how important it is to listen. As instructors, we sometimes let ourselves talk too much. White belts are students first, and they listen so intently.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I am reminded of the courage to do something that you want to do! Everytime I see one, I remeber that big, baggy, gi, with the multiple inches folded cuffs, on the pant legs. I remeber that paranoid feeling of trying to fit in, but, everyone is staring at you. "How do you tie theese damned things anyway!?"---LOL!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I have learn to never underestimate anyone after haveing my ribs broken one day by a white belt in his fist sparring session

The last white belt we had turned out to be an Aikido instructor. He just didn't tell anybody. Within 30 seconds it was obvious, this wasn't your normal white belt.

As a whole, white belts seem to bring in an enthusiasm that can't help but rub off on the entire class. We always enjoy new students.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great question! We need to remember what it was like for us and to make it comfortable for them to learn a whole new way of life in the martial classes.

We always say " Follow along as best as you can", Do what you can(physcial excerise).

Everyone quickly learns sparring with a white belt means "NO" control.

....Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've learned that when you start a school (& have all need students) there is no positive peer-pressure. Also, as much as kids want to train in martial arts, it's a big, scary, & intimidating proposition. Even if they scream their heads off on the playground with their friends, doing a ki-hap in front of their instructor is really difficult for some.

A professor I had in college talked about the importance of "putting the cookies on the lowest shelf" for folks who are in the begining stages of learning something new. I try to remember that w/ my students. I have always been aware that most instructor's ideal student is a 16 year old brown belt (ie. energy, enthuiasm & skill). But unless I put energy into the 11 year old white belt, they'll never stick around long enough to be my "ideal student."

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting thread.

I think I have learned a lot just from looking at how they moved and body positioning. Seeing them kick in TKD without twisting their foot drove home how important body placement was. Not to mention to leave a little breathing room between hits in sparring practice as those white belts will hit 100% even if they dont mean to.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost every time I break down a technique for a newbie I learn something about it. Having gone through that period with most of my instuctors just showing me how to do it, that's been a real eye opener and has greatly improved my technique.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:

That happened to me to from a white belt woman who turned out to be ex-army MP. I let her punch me (like in all white belt women can't punch) and she let me have it, broke the top rib near my sternum. Never again... TW

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since each person is different in size, I learn some techniques that I thought were great, are not so great on a taller, smaller, heavy, etc. person.

Each new students reminds me why most us love the martial arts - we love to learn! :)

Great question!

Latest Discussions