What have tou taken from Taekwondo

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What have you taken from Taekwondo, apart from learning physical skills?

Gnarlie

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, i learnt that sometimes information is bad, and that correcting that information can take a while. I mean, everyone knows that in theory. Not as often from experience.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That TKD is many things. An art ,a sport, and a self defense system. It can help build all the best things in human beings when applied properly! When applied poorly like religion it can tear us down and divide us. Tkd is both physical and mental it is a group activity and a singular individual sport/art! TKD is diverse and dynamic. It is frustrating and soothing! In all it s contradictions in the end wether you do sport , SD or the entire art TKD is great and we all love it!

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And what have you taken for yourself, personally? Has practicing Taekwondo changed your outlook on life? Has it changed you as a person?

Gnarlie

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what have you taken for yourself, personally? Has practicing Taekwondo changed your outlook on life? Has it changed you as a person?

Gnarlie

Im not sure if you were asking either of us in particular, however...

Nothing, no, im in better shape. Respectively.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Gnarlie
It has done wonders for our family! It has broadened our horizons....and given us a look at many cultures! We have traveled the world because of TKD!

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Im not sure if you were asking either of us in particular, however...

Nothing, no, im in better shape. Respectively.

I was asking you both, and anyone who would like to answer. It's something I've given a lot if thought to lately: why am I still doing this activity? What am I getting from it? It's clearly a love affair, and it's not only physical!

Gnarlie

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, TKD has given me unbelievable confidence, motivation and a constant desire to push myself to excel!!! After getting jumped nearly 10 years ago, every time I train, I have the opportunity to reverse the fear from that night and to learn all I can!!! It is an amazing feeling and I'm never stopping!

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me, TKD has given me unbelievable confidence, motivation and a constant desire to push myself to excel!!! After getting jumped nearly 10 years ago, every time I train, I have the opportunity to reverse the fear from that night and to learn all I can!!! It is an amazing feeling and I'm never stopping!

Does the desire to push yourself to excel apply only to Taekwondo, or does it seep into other areas of your life?

Is the good feeling only related to fear reduction, or is there anything else there too?

I find Taekwondo has helped me to deal with everyday obstacles in a much more level headed and even handed way that I maybe would have when I was younger. Has Taekwondo affected your temperament?

It has also exposed me to many different cultures and helped me to realise that we are as people generally similar and good. It's been hard not to notice that I have sometimes been too attached to my viewpoints and not so tolerant of those of others. It's helped me to take a more open minded approach to everything.

Gnarlie

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does the desire to push yourself to excel apply only to Taekwondo, or does it seep into other areas of your life?

Not just TKD, but other areas as well!! Although I have recently finished my bachelor's degree - I started training in TKD about a month before I started back to school and the motivation I found really spilled over into my studies and focus on my educational goals as well!! Plus, I graduated with honors and a 3.86 GPA so you tell me! :) Also, TKD has encouraged me to try for things that have been somewhat intimidating before - this past year, I have been competing in Collegiate DECA and was fortunate enough to take 2 1st places at our state tournament in MN and I'm leaving for Nationals on Wednesday! I really believe the 'good feeling' isn't just about the fear reduction - it's about finding the power to believe in myself and never letting myself settle for less that what I deserve! :)

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not just TKD, but other areas as well!! Although I have recently finished my bachelor's degree - I started training in TKD about a month before I started back to school and the motivation I found really spilled over into my studies and focus on my educational goals as well!! Plus, I graduated with honors and a 3.86 GPA so you tell me! :) Also, TKD has encouraged me to try for things that have been somewhat intimidating before - this past year, I have been competing in Collegiate DECA and was fortunate enough to take 2 1st places at our state tournament in MN and I'm leaving for Nationals on Wednesday! I really believe the 'good feeling' isn't just about the fear reduction - it's about finding the power to believe in myself and never letting myself settle for less that what I deserve! :)

That's what I'm talking about! You're very lucky, not everyone gets this!

TKD has motivated me to take steps that I would never otherwise have taken. E.g. living and working overseas. It's also helped me get though some of the hardest challenges in my life. I love it!

Gnarlie

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My affair with taekwondo is actually my affair with martial arts. I love a lot of activities, but I never loved and dedicated myself so much to an activity as with martial arts, and I came to this through taekwondo. Btw, I have the impression the word "dedication" became something different after I began practicing martial arts. :)

Latest Discussions