What have become of Kickboxing these days?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxer101 May be better quection is it more common for newbies to want to try to amped up the fight and go way in? And more experience Kickboxers will not do this?
Honestly I can barely understand what you're on about. It doesn't make any sense the way you're writting

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know but you didn't answer my question.

You're talking trash about fighters

So why do so many web sites say kickboxers don't do well with pushes but boxers do better? Or boxers or take up kickboxing do better?

Last edited:
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I can barely understand what you're on about. It doesn't make any sense the way you're writting

So you are saying experience kickboxers will fight more like go in and hit than move out than go in and hit than move out so on than go way in and stay in and fight more aggressively? That this is mistake that newbies make that go way in and fight more like brawlers?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxer101 Is it the deemphasize of boxing strikes and more emphasize on kicks that they look like that?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And real fights full contact do not look like drills or light sparring. Once you have to deal with punches that do damage that break your structure and that require a lot of energy. The rules of what is good technique changes.

Middo trains with us from time to time. And the dude is tough. This is a factor that lets him match guys with better technical skill. And in the world of full contact fighting it is a major factor.

Yea the drills and sparring look more speed up in that video.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kickboxer101 May be better question is it more common for newbies to want to try to amped up the fight and go way in? And more experience Kickboxers will not do this?
That is a better question, and the answer is yes. On average, more experienced fighters (in whatever combat sport) are more likely to take their time, feel out their opponent, control the distance and pick their attacks carefully. Beginners are more likely to get excited and run right into the danger zone.

Of course, that is a generalization. There are experienced fighters who like to push the fight and be aggressive right from the beginning. They've just learned enough so they are less likely to get KO'd on their way in doing so.

So why do so many web sites say kickboxers don't do well with pushes but boxers do better? Or boxers or take up kickboxing do better?

I don't know what websites you are talking about, but someone who specializes in one thing (punches) will be better at that thing than someone who has to split their training between two things (punches and kicks). It's not a matter of boxers being more skilled overall, just more specialized.

Kickboxer101 also why does MMA and boxing look more cool looking than kickboxing?

Why? Because I want to see some thing more like fight and fighting in a two feet by two feet room than spot fighting or looking for that one knockout!!

I want to see the fight more amped up.

That's a matter of your personal tastes as a spectator. Nothing wrong with having a preference for watching boxing over kickboxing or basketball over baseball, but it has nothing to do with the skills and effectiveness of the athletes in question.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what websites you are talking about, but someone who specializes in one thing (punches) will be better at that thing than someone who has to split their training between two things (punches and kicks). It's not a matter of boxers being more skilled overall, just more specialized..

Could it be that the specialization makes them understand certain things better? As an example, I credit my grappling background in helping me advance faster in WC than some of my fellow students. First getting in close wasn't an issue for me. Some who came just from kicking arts had an issue adapting to that first before they really starts learning the art itself. Second grappling meant I already had a very good understanding my body and the idea maintaining my own structure and center in the face of outside forces trying to take my balance/center. This is something, in my experience, other striking arts use but don't have an explicit focus on.

Since Moon mentioned Boxers who swap to Kickboxing this popped into my head. A person who starts with Kickboxing likely doesn't train in the same way a boxer does in terms of techniques that require someone to be "planted."

Now I could have completely misunderstood what he was getting at but that is just what came to mind.

Latest Discussions