Lau Gar Kickboxing

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lau Gar Kuen traces its roots to an individual named Lam Sam Ngan in the Kong Sai (Guanxi) province of China: eventually Jeremy Yau learns this style and brings this to the UK. However, you don't see this style in Hong Kong or China: it's known as Hung Gar there and Lau Gar is only one part of the Hung Gar system's 5 families styles. This style is only popular in the United Kingdom: if you look for Kung Fu elsewhere you will only find Hung Gar on San Shou/ Sanda.

Lau Gar is utilised in so-called kickboxing but the majority of Lau Gar practitioners have been successful in pointfighting or above-waist competitions; if it's a Southern style then why isn't it used more in K-1 or Oriental rules as the ground in South China is harder?

Why is it called Kong Sai on the official Lau Gar website and why do some people call the grappling Kam La when it's meant to be called Chin Na or Shuia Jiao

You do not see many, if any, Lau Gar practitioners in MMA; if it's a complete system and includes grappling (Kam La) then why are practitioners learning BJJ ? Even if we forget MMA for now, none of these Lau Gar fighters are even in top 20 for kickboxing. The best kickboxers include:

Giorgio Petrosyan
Rob Kaman
Branko Cikatic
Semmy Schilt
Ernesto Hoost
Peter Aerts
Rico Verhoeven
Alistair Overeem
Badr Hari
Mirko Cro Cop

Pointfighting has bad habits in the form of the side on stance (vulnerability to leg kicks) and low guard.

I'm not saying what I learned was the best but I learned Praying Mantis-based kickboxing from Wutan at Southampton Solent University and that was superior. Some Wutan guys competed in Muay Thai and when I was at University, a number of our guys came back with Gold Medals at both the Leeds University Championships (Gold 2010; 2014, Silver 2014;2015, Bronze 2014;2015 X 2) and WAKO British Championship (Gold 2012; 2014, Silver 2013; 2014; 2015 x 2).

Latest Discussions