What forms do you have?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I am not a Tracy's practitioner, I did start out leanirg from one of Jay T. Will's Black Belts. I also lived outside of Lexington for seven years. I hadn't heard the name of Sin The brought up in years. Considering his reputation in teh Lexington/Central Kentucky Martial Arts Community, I would be very surprised if Mr. Tracy had any dealings with him, other than being cordial if they met.

Brian Jones

That was my suspicion...

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I am not a Tracy's practitioner, I did start out leanirg from one of Jay T. Will's Black Belts. I also lived outside of Lexington for seven years. I hadn't heard the name of Sin The brought up in years. Considering his reputation in teh Lexington/Central Kentucky Martial Arts Community, I would be very surprised if Mr. Tracy had any dealings with him, other than being cordial if they met.

Brian Jones

I am certain they have never met. Sin The's rep varies depending on who you talk to. For a while, after the condemining of the Wave Pool/Spa/dojo, he got pretty hard core. Last time I walked in, the training was hard, the sweat was pouring.

I for one, don't take his lineage tales as being credible, but the few guys I have worked out with knew some good stuff. Tim Kelly in particular.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.KenpoDave,

Sir do I understand you correctly? Do you teach Tracy's Kenpo System, and do you require your kenpo students learn all of those katas? If so, how do you break them down into the grading levels? Thanks for your time.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.KenpoDave,

Sir do I understand you correctly? Do you teach Tracy's Kenpo System, and do you require your kenpo students learn all of those katas? If so, how do you break them down into the grading levels? Thanks for your time.

Yes, I teach the Tracy System. I do not yet require all of those forms, but eventually, I will. New students learn them all, others are grandfathered in until an appropriate place to pick them up. A breakdown of the levels at which they are taught/offered is on my website.

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you practice Tracy Kenpo at your school, what forms make up your cirriculum?

Well, I am more fundamental in Tracy System. To me more is not necessarily better. That being said, I teach and advocate the following: Short 1, Long 1, Short 2, Long 2, Short 3, Long 3, Long 4, Mass Attack, Panther Set, Tiger Set (I do not teach Crane), Finger Set, 5 Cuts, Darkroom Staff, Skylight Staff, Skylight Spear. I teach White through Green Belt core, Brown based on individual normally 25 techniques and variations per level. Healing Art is required of Black Belt level.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I am more fundamental in Tracy System. To me more is not necessarily better. That being said, I teach and advocate the following: Short 1, Long 1, Short 2, Long 2, Short 3, Long 3, Long 4, Mass Attack, Panther Set, Tiger Set (I do not teach Crane), Finger Set, 5 Cuts, Darkroom Staff, Skylight Staff, Skylight Spear. I teach White through Green Belt core, Brown based on individual normally 25 techniques and variations per level. Healing Art is required of Black Belt level.

Hi Dave,

Is there any particular reason why you don't do the complete system? Given you rank and experience, I am sure you know it all.

Personally, I always felt Long 5 was an awkward set, oddly put together, and I never liked it much. that's just me, tho.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I could see where that is. We just planted the staff and threw the side kick keeping one foot on the ground. But I could see doing it "pole-vault" style for extra flair in competition, or something.

This would be our Kata 8 taught when working towards 3rd degree brown. Did you have a shorter version? The first 1/3, or so we teach a belt lower as Kata 7.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first Kenpo instructor tells the story that when he and some others were young and foolish they did the plant with the staff and the flying sidekick. One fellow went so far to put a rubber stopper ( like the end of a crutch) to the end of his staff for better grip. All went fine until while he was in mid air his staff broke and he came very close to impaling himself on the broken staff. Mr. Will put and end to this pretty quick and for his schools the "plant with a side kick" became more standard.
Brian Jones

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first Kenpo instructor tells the story that when he and some others were young and foolish they did the plant with the staff and the flying sidekick. One fellow went so far to put a rubber stopper ( like the end of a crutch) to the end of his staff for better grip. All went fine until while he was in mid air his staff broke and he came very close to impaling himself on the broken staff. Mr. Will put and end to this pretty quick and for his schools the "plant with a side kick" became more standard.
Brian Jones

I truly prefer to keep my feet in the ground. I just appreciate having a staff to keep me from falling down. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions