One Side, or Both?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For you all who practice Tracys kenpo, what do you think about practicing techs on both sides? I have seen others suggest it is not necessary, even going so far as to say it is time wasted and a mistake to do so. Personally, I feel it is beneficial, and I would like to know what others think, who are specifically in the Tracys system. thx.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach shaolin kempo and kosho ryu kempo. The shaolin kempo is also 90% right hand punching idears. I trained myself to be able to do both teq: right hand and left hand. I feel this makes you well rounded. I don't feel it is a waiste of time. I also have my students at blue belt train them selfs to do both sides. It also opens up many different idears on the way you fight also... and how you feel your way threw teq:
my 2 cents and yes I know this was for Tracy kenpo only but I like to chat... LOL
steve

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do Kenpo, but throughout my martial arts career I've always practiced techniques on both sides, usually twice on my left side for every once on my right, to try to develop the capacity to do the techniques equally on my strong and week side, just in case, for some reason my strong side is injured or immobilized.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. Even tho this was aimed at the Tracy's kenpo people, I'm actually glad to get feedback from others as well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For you all who practice Tracys kenpo, what do you think about practicing techs on both sides? I have seen others suggest it is not necessary, even going so far as to say it is time wasted and a mistake to do so. Personally, I feel it is beneficial, and I would like to know what others think, who are specifically in the Tracys system. thx.

Yes, I work the techs. on both sides. I've also heard, like you, that its a waste of time, the techs are done on the left side in the forms, etc. However, I personally see nothing wrong with working both sides. I've also found this to be helpful when teaching a tech to someone for the first time. There have been times when, to make it easier for them to watch me, I've stood in front of them. They're basically doing the mirror image of what I'm doing, its easier for them to see what I'm doing, and at the same time, I'm doing it left side.

Mike

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I work the techs. on both sides. I've also heard, like you, that its a waste of time, the techs are done on the left side in the forms, etc. However, I personally see nothing wrong with working both sides. I've also found this to be helpful when teaching a tech to someone for the first time. There have been times when, to make it easier for them to watch me, I've stood in front of them. They're basically doing the mirror image of what I'm doing, its easier for them to see what I'm doing, and at the same time, I'm doing it left side.

Mike

By the way Mike, Are you in the Tracy or EPAK or other kenpo?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way Mike, Are you in the Tracy or EPAK or other kenpo?

Both. I began in EPAK and most recently made the transition to Tracy. Really amazing how similar things are. :)

Mike

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i train both sides.

and by that i mean, i go through the motion as if i'm performing the technique, and as though i'm the guy getting the technique done on him.

amazing what you pick up that way.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was required, and require my students, to learn everything on both sides, and even perform the techniques both sided on an opponent when testing.

Aside from the obvious benefits, I think that the right brain stimulation aids in spontaneity and the ability to create a technique as the situation unfolds.

We already practice a good many techniques on both sides in kata training. I require my students to fill in the gaps for 2nd black.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score

I believe that practicing on both sides is both beneficial and necessary. It eliminates the "sugar side syndrome" that many people adhere to in reality. It's easier to do everything on your dominat side, but that does not mean that life will always allow you to choose which side you're going to use when the rubber has to quickly meet the road.

Morgan

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always trained both sides as well. Odds are the "bad guy" is going to attack from whichever side he chooses. So IMHO, you had better be prepared for either.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
In general I think symmetry is overrated and not typical of historic combat systems, but it is good for development of an art where you have lots of time to build skill. But I don't think it is necessary.

We didn't require both sides, but by later in my rankings I had gone through all of my belts so that I had both sides.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't practice both sides for symmetry, but rather for spontaneity. At least, that is why I require it.

Dave Hopper

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was taught, and have come to understand, that no matter how much you practice the weak side, you will remain dominant on whatever your naturally dominant side is. However, opponent's don't attack based on your dominant side, they attack based on theirs, and often, your opening movement is not a choice but a reaction. Practicing both sides gives me follow ups to any reaction, on either side, allowing me to not have to reposition in order to be on the correct side. With practice, it is rather simple to blend an offside reaction into a dominant side technique rather seamlessly.

Latest Discussions