What fiction book are you currently reading?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Revisiting A Game Of Thrones by George RR Martin. As good as I remember it from ten years ago. I recommend it to all forumites who enjoy SF/F, especially if you are planning on watching the premiere on HBO in January.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, I just started Monster Hunters International, and based on the first 2 chapters, this is awesome.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this is probably a daft question given the title {:eek:} but what are they about, Don?

I am presently on Echoes of Honour, having finished In Enemy Hands the other night The last twenty or thirty pages of that book, when they are escaping from the StateSec battle-cruiser, always have me blinking away tears I am not ashamed to admit - courage and self-sacrifice are virtues that hit hard for me.

Okay, it might not be Checkov or Tolstoy but, for me, fiction is darned good if it gets your emotions engaged.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like Monster Hunter International, the second book, Monster Hunter Vendetta is just as good. the author has a great website as well. If you look around there you can see a helicopter crewman from either Iraq or Afghanistan with a M.H.I. patch on his helmet, it looks pretty cool. Sukerkin, if you like the Honor Harrington series you might like the books that start with Battle At Armegedan Reef: Helfort's war book one. It is pretty much like the Harrington series, but it is not so bad, it is hard to beat Weber's space naval warfare books.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this is probably a daft question given the title {:eek:} but what are they about, Don?
Well, Suke, it is another author, that I really like, I might never have heard of or picked up except for hearing people on this board recommend it.
Recently finished Monster Hunter: Vendetta, the sequel to Monster Hunter International, a great series about a private company that kills monsters for bounties. It is a really well written series by a gun enthusiast.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you like Monster Hunter International, the second book, Monster Hunter Vendetta is just as good. the author has a great website as well. If you look around there you can see a helicopter crewman from either Iraq or Afghanistan with a M.H.I. patch on his helmet, it looks pretty cool. Sukerkin, if you like the Honor Harrington series you might like the books that start with Battle At Armegedan Reef: Helfort's war book one. It is pretty much like the Harrington series, but it is not so bad, it is hard to beat Weber's space naval warfare books.

Well, the Nimue/Merlyn character ain't no Honor. The first one is pretty good, the remaining quickly enter into the bloat that the later Honor books suffer from. Tons of politics, lots of intrigue, lots of (low) tech development, and a once in a while fight or big battle. I use them for long drives, the last audio book was something like 24 hours long, fine if you have little else, but I would rather reread early Honor books.

Lamont

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On my way home from sparring tonight, I'm going to pick up Brad Thor's The Athena Project from the library. Hot female commandos.

baron

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just started reading Last Light by Terri Blackstock. It's about when all the power goes out not even cars will work. Haven't ran into any zombies yet though. This book is free on Amazon for Kindle today only.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally picked up The Color of Magic by the much hyped Terry Pratchett.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hype is hot air and nothing of substance! :D

I have book 6 of Jeff Stone's Five Ancestor series laying on my night stand. 'Mouse'

Following Tiger, Monkey, Snake, Crane and Eagle...
Pretty strong series, to be found in the Juvenile/Young adult section...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sweet man. Rincewind is gonna blow your mind. It is by far not the best in the series, but it serves to set up the world, after reading the first 2 you can pretty much read them in the order or follow the character you like.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished The Color of Magic, thanks again to everyone who sang the praises of Pratchett.

Just starting John Grisham's The Confession.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Somebody gave me this book and I'm still on page 17 but it looks interesting.

No turning back - Donald Calloway

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finished the Confession, and although I thoroughly disagree with Grisham's take on capital punishment, I think it was probably his best book so far.

Just started The Light Fantastic

Latest Discussions