What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm about halfway into Vince Flynn's latest: American Assasin
Its the origin story on Mitch Rapp. I like it
OK, I finished it and don't know whether to hope his next Rapp novel follows where this left off, bringing him up to where and when we met him or where Pursuit of Honor left off.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Superman Earth One. It's a pretty mediocre version of the hero that's garnered way too much newstime because they opted to make him younger (early 20's) and wearing a hooded sweatshirt. Oh look, Superman dressed like some regular jerk!

What JMS tried to do was write a Superman story that takes place not in DC's universe, but in ours. How would the real world react to someone of the magnitude of Superman? Well that's the missed oppertunity here. For much of the book he's trying to secure a job in Metro and he's great at everything, the NFL, MLB, NHL and even a scientific research company want him but he decides on a failing newspaper. The big reveal of him as Superman in costume happens after an invasion by a race who were at war with the Kryptonians and came all the way here to kill the last one.

So we missed the opportunity to see people react to Superman's powers. I guess I'm more used to John Byrne's version where he saves an airline from crashing as his big reveal and then the whole world freaks out.

It seemed like JMS while trying to maintain that Superman Earth One takes place in the real world he spent some time name checking people, places and events from DC's main continuity so he kinda hobbled his own child. Too referential to DC's world when it should be our's, Clark's characterization is way too dark and dour. He's the warrior of hope, he is not an angry, depressed or sad person.

earthonesuperman.jpg
sme1_hc-5-copy.jpg

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just started the new Repairman Jack novel: Fatal Error.

I just borrowed Ground Zero and Fatal Error from a friend at work and have started Ground Zero. It's been a while since I read the last one, and frankly I'm having trouble keeping the different factions straight.

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technically non-fiction masquerading as fiction (little bit of kyojutsu tenkan ho going on there lol) but I'm about to begin The Windswept House by Fr Malachi Martin.

Think the last fiction book I read would have been either A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick, or one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Don't quite remember as I've been reading a lot of non-fiction books lately.

PAX

WOW! I highly recommend to everybody to read Windswept House. There is a tough scene to get past at the start (a child being violated) but once you soldier on past that, this book will blow your mind.

The most incredible part is that it's completely true, and not like Dan Brown's refute-in-ten-minutes-if-you-check-it-out kind of "true" but more of a all authentic and legitimate research accurately confirms all that this book says kind of true (with slight creative license as to names, but I do have a list somewhere of book names and who the real names are as well, can post up if desired...)

MUST READ BOOK, DO NOT PASS IT UP!!!

Technically not fiction, but usually found in fiction section...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am about 100 pages into The Reversal by Michael Connelly. This one has both his lead characters, Bosch and Haller.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished Odd Thomas by Koontz. Very good story, as good as any from this author.

My one quibble is that Odd is far too mature for a 20 year old. In fact he's more mature than most 40 year olds I know LOL.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently finished Monster Hunter: Vendetta, the sequal to Monster Hunter International, a great series about a private company that kils monsters for bounties. It is a really well written series by a gun enthusiast.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I gotta look for that one. Monster Hunters International was a pretty good read. Not stupidly macho, not making monsters into good guys... and it started out with a guy killing a werewolf in an office!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just starting Prostitute's Ball, by Stephen J. Cannell, the title makes me wonder what kind of prostitutes he knew...
This is, most likely his last book, since he died a while back. That sucks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm rereading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's been described as a Harry Potter for adults with a self-absorbed NY intellectual as the protagonist. Parts of it feel a lot like The Secret History by Donna Tartt if any of you like that kind of writing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first Cannell novel, "Three Shirt Deal" and quite frankly I wasn't that impressed.

In the middle of "Course of Empire" by Flint and Wentworth, and it is very good. Good world building and its nice to see an alien species that actually seems alien in its approach, I haven't seen it this well done since Brin's Uplift Saga.

Rereading Pournelle's collected "Falkenberg's Legion" books. I read them 15+ years ago and remember them as being very good military sci-fi, they are better on the reread, now I would classify them as excellent.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just finished my first Cannell novel, "Three Shirt Deal" and quite frankly I wasn't that impressed.
I didn't care much for that one, but, seriously? You can't start with the second to last book of a series...

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - Just started reading it but this is a page turner and I'm enjoying it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't care much for that one, but, seriously? You can't start with the second to last book of a series...

Well, it was part of a very limited selection that I had to choose from before going on a long flight. There was obviously a backstory going on that I wasn't aware of, but it was the main story that wasn't good and the wife's odd (and rapid) recovery from TBI as a sidestory just didn't feel right, much less the really silly method that the bad guys were going to use to off Scully in the end. It felt like it was written for TV, bad TV, like "Renegade" bad.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Microsoft's Windows Server 2003.....
Are there really fictional books available....you're kiddin' me!!
never heard of them....:uhyeah:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently finished Monster Hunter: Vendetta, the sequal to Monster Hunter International, a great series about a private company that kils monsters for bounties. It is a really well written series by a gun enthusiast.

Guess I gotta look for that one. Monster Hunters International was a pretty good read. Not stupidly macho, not making monsters into good guys... and it started out with a guy killing a werewolf in an office!
OK, I just started Cross Fire by James Patterson, because, I'll be done with it quick, and it does entertain me.
Then I'll start Monster Hunters International, which I also picked up today.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Now I have to read it, the author was my CCW instructor. :D

Latest Discussions