What fiction book are you currently reading?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
anytime
I'm rereading Patrick Rothfuss' excellent, the Name of the Wind, because it is that good.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Correira's "Hard Magic" - good stuff, definitely some echoes of MHI, but who wouldn't like the X-Men stuck in the roaring 20s?

Webers "Out of the Dark" - opened well, some good modern survivalist type fiction for "what if the aliens invade," and a piss-poor ending. Unfortunate.

Working on Jeff Shaara's "Gone for Soldiers" - a good look at the Mexican-American war through the eyes of the officers who would be the movers and shakers of the Civil War, particularly Captain Robert E. Lee.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rereading Monster Hunter Legion, because Bill brought it up and you gotta love a book with a character called "Ultimate Lawyer"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo so much I decided to check out another Dumas book, so I'm giving The Three Musketeers a go. Not really getting in to it yet, but it's still early.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo so much I decided to check out another Dumas book, so I'm giving The Three Musketeers a go. Not really getting in to it yet, but it's still early.

Dumas actually wrote a whole series of books following the musketeers through their lives. There's a good reason why they're classics. :)

I just read J.K Rowlings "The Casual Vacancy". As a writer of adult fiction, she fails. Needs to stick to childrens books.
Now I'm reading "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. So far it's also not doing much for me.
Also recently finished Koontz' "Odd Appolcolypse" and "77 Shadow Hill", both of which were good, but not as good as I expect from Mr Koontz.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
View it as a series of shorter adventures, linked by the characters and some continuing stories. It's easier to read it that way than as a giant novel, I found. And realize that Dumas wrote over a long period as a series of serials, so there are details that don't always run consistent... kind of like in comic books.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished King of Thorns, the sequel to Prince of Thorns. Wow, it outdoes the first book and I thought Prince of Thorns was very entertaining, though quite dark.

Recommended if you don't mind the protagonist being half-evil himself.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently reading The Painted Man by Peter V, Brett. Good start so far and an interesting premise, enjoying it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished King of Thorns, the sequel to Prince of Thorns. Wow, it outdoes the first book and I thought Prince of Thorns was very entertaining, though quite dark.

Recommended if you don't mind the protagonist being half-evil himself.

Half evil? How dare you sir. Come back to me with a book where everyone is evil!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hilarious, Omar.
I'm rereading the Dresden Files, because a new one comes out next week and I've read 100 or so things since...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading Cold Days, the New (today!) Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher. Bad *** so far.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Death of an Adept - Katherine Kurtz & Debra Turner-Harris.
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Death of an Adept - Katherine Kurtz & Debra Turner-Harris.
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

Pillars of the earth was great. Read that years ago.

I just finished Lightbringer by Brent Weeks. Good fantasy.

Also reading the Red Branch Cycle, by Randy Lee Eikhert. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Fifty Shades Darker" by E L James. I guess I'm feeling a little randy.

Latest Discussions