What does it mean if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be we should ask this question:

In a MA forum, should we talk about how to fight? Or should we talk about why we should not fight?

Does it make sense that if a Tesla sale person tries to tell you why you should not buy an electric car?
This is another place you're creating a false binary decision. We can talk about both. And the analogy to Tesla sales isn't a good one. Perhaps an analogy like a driving instructor telling you when you might not want to drive?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
can you define what you feel "fighting" is ?

"the action of fighting; violence or conflict"

Works for me..
Where did you get this definition? I ask because defining a word with that word is pretty bad practice. If that was the definition of "fight", that'd be one thing, but defining fighting as the action of fighting just made me laugh.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where did you get this definition? I ask because defining a word with that word is pretty bad practice. If that was the definition of "fight", that'd be one thing, but defining fighting as the action of fighting just made me laugh.

Let google be your friend... Defining a word with the word 🤔

: maybe the colon was used incorrectly 😐

Yes. Because MA are about much more than fighting.

Problem,,,,Boxing in not thought of a martial art, is called a "fight"

What most feel they are practicing, no longer a "martial art" if it ever was....
Was in the green machine "US Army" for some 20yrs....combat arms.

We practiced, trained for and did " martial arts"

🙂 Quite right MA is much more than "fighting"

The basic idea if a choice, one does not engage unless they feel they an advantage.

Bad time to find out if one "can fight" or can't fight" or if the other person can or not fight...
outside of the context of ones training.

...in most cases "not" fighting being the best alternative if possible..

For some feeling they can "fight" as a profession "Thai boxer" or duty "hospital security"
the context and intent, "in a ring or controlled environment " has a lot to do with the outcome.

often with bad results if this is not understood....

"can fight" or "can't fight"​

Think its more important to understand this in ones self, their triggers, and reactions
to understand the same in others.

Combative training, depending on orientation can help in this..as can other things not directly
related to combat...

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMG_1410-1.jpg

What it takes 🤔

5 to 8 pounds of trigger-pull weight or less....

If someone points a pistol at a group of people, with out shooting anyone, turns his back on them,
in the course of a robbery..

They might consider that someone else may also have a pistol...
The robber in this case....Will never make that mistake again 😐

Had a uncle a couple of yrs back,,, robbed by 2 people one with a pistol
He fought back and was shot....he died, they took his camera.
They were caught a couple of weeks later trying to do the same thing...

Still awaiting a court date held in confinement.
The robber in this case had a toy gun. The guy in the booth had a real gun. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Can fight?"
Hmm ... I'd imagine that someone "can fight" if, through physical contact, they could avoid injury when dealing with an opponent who is:
  • physically aggressive
  • non-compliant
  • unpredictable
  • strong, fast, aware
... and through their actions, remove the threat.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...in most cases "not" fighting being the best alternative if possible..
A: What weapon do you train in your MA system?
B: Do you try to hurt someone and get into legal issue? Non violent is better than violent.

You train how to cut your enemy's head off. It doesn't mean that you will eventually do it in your life time. Also "can fight" doesn't mean you want to fight.

Do you think these 2 guys (in this clip) are violent people and will all end up in jail?

Last edited:

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last edited:

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
B: Do you try to hurt someone and get into legal issue? Non violent is better than violent.

Do you think people like A will all end up in jail?

A: What "weapon" 🤔

A: the "mind" ..😐

B: legal issue

A: The idea is to prevent them from hurting you...If they get hurt in the process the law
is supposed to be able to determine this..

"stand your ground" "castle doctrine". ect..

Unfortunately this is not always the case.

.As anyone would know who had encounters with the law

My uncle was shot and killed...during the DA interview our family was told not say anything bad about the ones who did this.

It might cause sympathy for them...
😳 the ones who just killed our uncle...

C: end up in jail?

There is a saying...

"Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 " 😐

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep,,,happens

Unfortunately when they find the guy,,,They might try to charge him,,feeling he should have known,
if this was the case..

On the other hand.... Situational awareness,,,,,a must have 🤔

He should not have left the scene. He should have immediately secured the scene, dialed 911, and then rendered assistance to the shot robber until EMS and/or police arrived.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
He should not have left the scene. He should have immediately secured the scene, dialed 911, and then rendered assistance to the shot robber until EMS and/or police arrived.

😂 ok.

Think so,

hopefully you and others never have an interaction with the law in todays time...

IMO the better outcome would have been that the security cameras, were not working at the time...

He did the right thing,,,made sure the "threat" was no longer a threat, nor will ever be again...

Mind set,,,someone just committed armed robbery.
Was shot in the process by those he robbed.

expecting those he just robbed to render assistance....🤔

There is a saying...

"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword "

Even if it happens to be a fake one,,,,ya never know...

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
😂 ok.

Think so,

hopefully you and others never have an interaction with the law in todays time...

IMO the better outcome would have been that the security cameras, were not working at the time...

He did the right thing,,,made sure the "threat" was no longer a threat, nor will ever be again...

Mind set,,,someone just committed armed robbery.
Was shot in the process by those he robbed.

expecting those he just robbed to render assistance....🤔

There is a saying...

"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword "

Even if it happens to be a fake one,,,,ya never know...
Well, I never want to shoot or kill anyone. I would only do it in defense of my life or another persons life. If I could stop the threat without need for loss of life, I would do that first. If I had safely cleared the scene, I would certainly do everything in my power to prevent loss of life, regardless of whom needed my help. There is a price for doing violence of any kind. If you don’t know that, I hope you never have to find it out. Killing isn’t something to be flip about, you can’t take it back and you can’t know how it will affect you. That robber is a human. He has a family. It’s all good and well to talk about what we would do, but it’s too easy to armchair quarterback without taking into consideration the many possible consequences of those actions.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score

You train how to cut your enemy's head off. It doesn't mean that you will eventually do it in your life time. Also "can fight" doesn't mean you want to fight.

Do you think these 2 guys (in this clip) are violent people and will all end up in jail?

The weapons are not real...its training....looks fun but lacks intent.
otherwise they'ed be wearing some type of protective gear...

on the other hand..

IMG_1410-1.jpg

This guy looks like he's practiced,,,,shows good form, and strong intent...maybe the first time he has used his weapon to shoot someone..

This means, his training was correct...He understood one should never draw a weapon, with out the intention of using it....

Some may practice for many other reasons, not really understanding the nature of the weapon is to kill
If they do not practice with this in mind,,,they may not be able to use it...or worse accidentally use it..

5-8 lb of trigger force is all it takes...a little training...understanding the weapon..and law...

"Dr. John Cheng, the heroic figure who sacrificed himself to stop a mass shooting at a Southern California church on Sunday, was a well known and highly regarded figure within the traditional Chinese martial arts world who appeared on several occasions within the pages of Black Belt.

An expert in the seven stars praying mantis system, Cheng had a network of kung fu schools in Orange County but closed all but one to focus on his family and medical practice.

Cheng was taking his mother to church Sunday when David Wenwei Chou allegedly opened fire on the congregation. According to reports, Cheng immediately moved to tackle the shooter attempting to disarm him.

Though he was shot and killed in the effort, his actions gave other parishioners time to subdue the gunman."

May he rest in peace....

"subdue"

not a good outcome

kinda the problem 🤔

Last edited:

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope you never have to find it out. Killing isn’t something to be flip about, you can’t take it back and you can’t know how it will affect you.

Do you ? 🤔

Have worked with death up close, infantry medic..
Do know how it affected me...

You and others claim to practice "martial" arts....arts of war .

And yet, it seems like maybe what was trained was "competitive" events..

"That robber is a human."

no that "armed" robber was the enemy a threat to the lives of those there at the time.

You'r starting to sound like the DA telling our family members to not saying anything negative about the ones
who shot, killed our uncle..It may cause people to sympathize with them....

I'd say...until "you" or others here have had something happen up close and personal, you may change your mind...

Even feel a little different....🤔

And if you have or had,,,and still feel sympathy 🤔

There is a story

"An old woman was walking down the road whan she saw a gang of thugs beating a poisonous snake. She rescued the snake and carried it back to her home, where she nursed it back to health."

"One day they were going into town and the old woman picked him up and the snake bit her. Repeatedly.

"O God," she screamed, "I am dying! Why? I was your friend. I saved your life! I trusted you! Why did you bite me?"

The snake looked up at her and said,

"Lady, you knew I was a snake when you first picked me up."

Last edited:

Latest Discussions