What does it mean if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"?

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have different ideas of what fighting means..

This is what i mean be fighting,,, requires a little training..
The guy sitting down, might not be able to fight his way out of a paper bag,,,
of course he's not fighting with a "paper bag"

IMG_1410-1.jpg

Who do you think "won" 🤔

that seems to be what most here are posting about,,,who wins...or who can play and who can't...

Some games, if you lose, there is no tap our, no time out,,,no nothing....
Don’t know who won from a picture.
He might not have had what it takes to pull the trigger and may be dead today.

However having a gun doesn’t mean you win. Too many people get guns for self defense, and that’s where their idea of self defense ends.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Can figh" or "can't fight" may depend on how you spend your energy in fighting. If your opponent throws 20 punches at you, and you also throw 20 punches back at him, both of you will be tired. But if you can throw a good kick at his belly, or a good foot sweep to take him down, it can save you a lot of energy. You may then be qualified to be called as "can fight".

A good take down may only need 1 second.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We have different ideas of what fighting means..

This is what i mean be fighting,,, requires a little training..
The guy sitting down, might not be able to fight his way out of a paper bag,,,
of course he's not fighting with a "paper bag"

IMG_1410-1.jpg

Who do you think "won" 🤔

that seems to be what most here are posting about,,,who wins...or who can play and who can't...

Some games, if you lose, there is no tap our, no time out,,,no nothing....
I wouldn’t call that fighting.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Working hospital security I got into plenty of fights with violent patients. Didn’t need to do much if any damage to get them under control.

And ?

A world champion Thai-style kickboxer was shot to death in the middle of a busy San Francisco street Friday after he chased down a hit-and-run driver who had slammed into his parked car minutes earlier."The victim put his arm out to stop the driver, the driver pushed him back and then shot him -- point blank," said Marilyn Moore, a witness who was riding in a car on Fifth Street.

Guess he felt the same way, being a "world champion Thai-style kickboxer"
and all 🤔

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMG_1410-1.jpg

I wouldn’t call that fighting.

Could be wrong, seemed like it was a "gun fight" one person lost 🤔

"never bring a knife to a gun fight".
Meaning one should understand the situation and be prepared. ect

can you define what you feel "fighting" is ?

"the action of fighting; violence or conflict"

Works for me..

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure it's not that 6% of them carry a gun and rightly think that should at least give them a fighting chance?
Or did the survey specify "in empty hand combat"?
Are improvised weapons allowed?
Have I been charged unprepared or do I have time to grab a large stone or stick? Am I carrying a stick already?
I think I have a >99% chance of avoiding a tussle with a grizzly, a >50% chance of beating one if I have am carrying a firearm, and at least a 6% chance of winning if I'm carrying a pointy stick or a large club, along with a belt knife which would likely be on my person in most environments where one would be most likely to meet a grizzly.
Also, if the answer "yes" is taken to mean that one *could* beat a grizzly at least theoretically, then hey... It's at least possible that I could win even unarmed. I mean, I should have like a 0.000001% chance or something of the grizzly attacking me being old and in bad health and having a heart attack from all of the excitement before it can finish me off! 0.000001% is a lot more than 0%, so I can answer "yes" to this question and I'll be technically correct. :p
I think you replied to the wrong person.

But, since you quoted me, I'll say that you'll need more than just any firearm to win against a grizzly who's decided you're worth attacking. A black bear is easier to intimidate away, but a grizzly... If you're not carrying a hunting gun of sufficient power an caliber, your chances still aren't good.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, "can fight" was, "can I pin down a very athletic, very stubborn 35 pound dog (without hurting her) long enough to put her eardrops in."
By that definition, I can rarely fight. Though to be fair to me, the ear I have to put ointment in is attached to a larger dog. That's my excuse.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technique is key with restraining animals. Typically, you want one person to fail at restraint while giving inadequate direction to their annoyed spouse, who is totally inept at applying ear medications to dogs but expert at applying them to human faces.
I'm very good at it. I fill both those roles at the same time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see where you're making a connection between those - can you make it clearer?
May be we should ask this question:

In a MA forum, should we talk about how to fight? Or should we talk about why we should not fight?

Does it make sense that if a Tesla sale person tries to tell you why you should not buy an electric car?

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
By that definition, I can rarely fight. Though to be fair to me, the ear I have to put ointment in is attached to a larger dog. That's my excuse.
Size counts.
Try doing it to a cat...
When it comes to handling felines of any stripe,(see what I did there?) less is more…I can usually draw blood from a house cat if left alone in a room for a few minutes, if I were to try to hold it down, it will be drawing blood from me.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In all my experiences in the martial arts, I've come to the conclusion to never underestimate anyone. I've seen masters of all shapes and sizes and all types of personalities. I've also seen practitioners from arts that aren't usually associated with being "fighting arts" be very very capable. When I was 23 I got to train with a grandmaster of a kenpo style he was 85 also 5'2 and about 135lbs, he told me to try to punch him as hard as I can in the head, before my punch got within 2 inches from his face I was on my back in a shoulder lock tapping out. I've also sparred with intimidating looking guys with good credentials. One was a purple belt in bjj and a street cop, he was about 6'4 and 245 and looked the part, one Inside muay thai leg kick swept him onto his back he couldn't take a hit punch or kick he was a great grappler though. I've also ran into those guys who say "I just black out bro " types, one got into a fight and broke his wrist because he didn't know how to correctly throw a punch. I've seen skinny guys beat up muscle guys and fat guys and I've seen fat guys who were killers. It's deeper than physical characteristics, I'd say mentality and experience are the biggest factors, but a guy with no training at all with aggression and an ice pick is dangerous to any martial artist I've ever met. The prison rush/sewing machine is real. Never underestimate anyone. I try to avoid all fights and will only fight in situations where it's absolutely necessary, verbal judo helps alot. Just my thoughts.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMG_1410-1.jpg

Don’t know who won from a picture.
He might not have had what it takes to pull the trigger and may be dead today.
Witnesses told officers the suspect entered the restaurant and pointed a pistol at patrons as he demanded their money. As the suspect collected money from patrons, one of the patrons, described as a white or Hispanic male, produced a gun of his own and shot the suspect multiple times. The shooter collected the stolen money from the suspect and returned the money to other patrons. He and other patrons (victims) then fled the scene.

What it takes 🤔

5 to 8 pounds of trigger-pull weight or less....

If someone points a pistol at a group of people, with out shooting anyone, turns his back on them,
in the course of a robbery..

They might consider that someone else may also have a pistol...
The robber in this case....Will never make that mistake again 😐

Had a uncle a couple of yrs back,,, robbed by 2 people one with a pistol
He fought back and was shot....he died, they took his camera.
They were caught a couple of weeks later trying to do the same thing...

Still awaiting a court date held in confinement.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions