"What does it feel like to get your black belt?"

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my black belt a few weeks ago and the KJN asked me this question after my 1st subsequent class.

Although I know he wanted to hear "great" or something similar, my honest answer was a little disappointing in that I felt that my kicking was better before, when I was working less and going to TKD more than my current 1-2 times per week.

Given that everyone who shows up at TKD for 3 years gets a BB, I have no particular pride in the belt itself, although I know KJN wants to hear that.

Nonetheless, what did it feel like for you once you got your BB?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a 19 year old so many years ago... My thoughts were... Yessssss! I hit an important milestone.

But as my master often repeated... "A real blackbelt simply means that you have mastered the basics, and your education has just started in earnest."

So my thoughts, or free advice, re: your recent promotion.

Deepen your skill in a few techniques rather than seeking to acquire a thousand. Deepened skill mastery. This is something some what foreign to the American mindset.

Spend an hour ever day on one single technique for 11 days, or half an hour for 22 days.

At that pace you will truely master about 13 techniques per year.

Focus on perfect form repeated.
Seek excellence.
It will kill you with boredom. But skill mastery burned in really deep will have value when tested in the real world.

You are leasing with an option to buy what you think you know.

Throw a technique with good or correct form and mechanics 60,000 times and you will own it to the degree that recall is instinctive.

These will become signatures of your art.

A proper skill set of core techniques will save your life, at some point.

I mean this seek depth in a few things, in what you have learned.

And master your break falls. Odds are way more likely that you will need to use Nabahps then defend yourself in a street fight.

Now... I ask you to progress to second Dan, with diligence and excellence. And work hard at sharing your with junior students.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my black belt a few weeks ago and the KJN asked me this question after my 1st subsequent class.

Although I know he wanted to hear "great" or something similar, my honest answer was a little disappointing in that I felt that my kicking was better before, when I was working less and going to TKD more than my current 1-2 times per week.

Given that everyone who shows up at TKD for 3 years gets a BB, I have no particular pride in the belt itself, although I know KJN wants to hear that.

Maybe the lack of a feeling of accomplishment is related to the fact that your school gives them out for just showing up?

When I got my first 1st Dan, I thought it meant I was a badass. But given that I was 13, I hope I can be forgiven that bit of foolishness.
In the many years since, promotions haven't meant much. I've gotten a couple of service awards that meant more.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score

Before I answer - I must tell you that - NO, not everyone who shows up at TKD for 3 years "gets" a Black Belt - period.
At our dojang, nobody 'gets' anything - they earn it - through blood, sweat and tears - no shortcuts, no excuses - no kidding.

That being said - 'how did it feel when I earned my Black Belt?' #1 - it felt amazing and for the first 10 minutes after my test
I couldn't stop looking at it #2 I finally understood why Black Belt is called 'the beginning'.. but in a good way.. :)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gwai Lo Dan,

One other think I would share with you.
The word Do, or Dao. 道, often is translated Path or Way....
But a better understanding would tell us it means journey.
Tang Soo Do,
Tae Kwon Do,
Hap Ki Do...

You are on a lifelong journey to learn your art.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I clearly remember the first one I took but most of all the first national grading. Lol they were dropping like flies for tiny mistakes.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Deepen your skill in a few techniques rather than seeking to acquire a thousand. Deepened skill mastery. This is something some what foreign to the American mindset.
I'm looking to do some muay thai in order to improve upon 3 things:
1) fighting stance where punches to the head are allowed
2) punching, including kick/punch combinations
3) what I am exposing myself to when I throw a kick

However I want to wait until I see my name on the KKW website first.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Before I answer - I must tell you that - NO, not everyone who shows up at TKD for 3 years "gets" a Black Belt - period.
At our dojang, nobody 'gets' anything - they earn it - through blood, sweat and tears - no shortcuts, no excuses - no kidding.
The general consensus here is that everyone who tries, gets a BB. So amongst 20 students testing, you might have 2-3 who are really good, 5 who are pretty good, 5 who are so-so, and 2-3 who frankly couldn't do much effectively if push came to shove.

I've never been to a school where they say "you just aren't coordinated enough or athletic enough to get a BB". Consequentely, everyone who shows up gets the BB, at the schools I've seen anyway. It's akin to the high school diploma - sure there's work, but EVERYONE graduates.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the lack of a feeling of accomplishment is related to the fact that your school gives them out for just showing up?

When I got my first 1st Dan, I thought it meant I was a badass. But given that I was 13, I hope I can be forgiven that bit of foolishness.
In the many years since, promotions haven't meant much. I've gotten a couple of service awards that meant more.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.
My black belt was certainly accompanied by a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Not only had I met my teacher's standards to be nominated, but I'd done well in the testing and interview. And I knew it wasn't just "handed out."

I'm sorry that the OP doesn't feel that same sense of accomplishment or achievement. I hope he'll take it as an opportunity to push himself to meet the standard he believes he should be at -- and to lead the way in raising everyone's performance. I'd also suggest that, while his kicks may have been better previously, perhaps his understanding of them was not...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so glad that my school doesn't work on a belt system. I've always wonder how other people felt about getting a belt especially since many people are really into getting belts just for the sake of having one.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry that the OP doesn't feel that same sense of accomplishment or achievement. I hope he'll take it as an opportunity to push himself to meet the standard he believes he should be at -- and to lead the way in raising everyone's performance.
That's the way I look at it. Now that I have a BB, I can leave for a bit to try other things, and come back with more acceptance. Also, I now feel like I can comment more in class; for instance a white belt was having a hard time with the "knee-up hop forward", so I asked her to follow me.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I earned my black belt I knew that I was more than a guy that is "now just beginning and starting my journey". I started my journey when I walked in the door as a white belt. The 5 years of hard work I put in made me what I am today, and that's not a beginner. Please don't insult me by telling me that I was now just starting my journey. I wonder why people keep saying this. I realize that it a humble thing to say but the reality is if you earned a black belt you should be qualified, unless your instructor let you down, and then yes, you are a beginner. I know I will receive a lot of flack on this but it's ok, bring it on ;)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I earned my black belt I knew that I was more than a guy that is "now just beginning and starting my journey". I started my journey when I walked in the door as a white belt. The 5 years of hard work I put in made me what I am today, and that's not a beginner. Please don't insult me by telling me that I was now just starting my journey. I wonder why people keep saying this. I realize that it a humble thing to say but the reality is if you earned a black belt you should be qualified, unless your instructor let you down, and then yes, you are a beginner. I know I will receive a lot of flack on this but it's ok, bring it on ;)

Before you can run a marathon, you must first learn to run, before you run, you jog, before you jog, you walk, before you walk, you stand, before you stand, you kneel, or crawl, before this you flopped about, and before that you layed still, as like a limp noodle.

The day you entered this world you started a journey.

In time, you will gain perspective, and realize that you know very little and have much to learn. (We all do)

You say five years and you are not a beginner?
I have met men who have been martial artists for 80 years, and will admit they are still beginners.

Old men who were so fast that if they didn't leave a light mark upon you, you would have never known they struck you.

Old Men that by technique alone, and not strength, could cause my 230 lb frame to fly about fifteen feet when trying to grasp at the fabric of their dobak sleeve.

Old men who could strike pressure points with supreme accuracy. And leave your arm numb for two days.
When you become aware that such a man could indeed kill with such strikes. Your scope changes.

You are but a youth who has raced a race with other youths around a schoolyard, and this is the scope of your world, rare is a man who has walked the borders of his whole nation. Rarer still, a man who has compassed the borders of his continent.

In time you will be staggered with how much there is to learn, that you never knew existed. Or to learn what what it really means to "know".

And like the layers of an onion, you will reach more zeniths on your journey. Which will humble you.

My words alone cannot reveal the truth of this matter. You must experience it.

And I have already said too much.

The truth is none of us are qualified. Certificates, and colored belts, notwithstanding..... Real Art is nothing more then one poor begger showing another begger where the food is.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The general consensus here is that everyone who tries, gets a BB. So amongst 20 students testing, you might have 2-3 who are really good, 5 who are pretty good, 5 who are so-so, and 2-3 who frankly couldn't do much effectively if push came to shove.

I've never been to a school where they say "you just aren't coordinated enough or athletic enough to get a BB". Consequentely, everyone who shows up gets the BB, at the schools I've seen anyway. It's akin to the high school diploma - sure there's work, but EVERYONE graduates.

A Liberal School. The mediocrity that is progressive western culture in popular martial arts is the enemy of quality art.

Long gone are the tests in Korea in the 1950's and 1960's. A tests was not just a few hours long... But two or three days long.

And Hard.

Dear Chuck Norris, had to retest, a month after his first failed Dan test. Hwang Kee didn't just give Dan Bons to just anybody.

You earned it with blood, sweat and tears.

Last edited:

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me it was a relief and of course I was happy and proud, but over time my view on black belts had changed drastically.

When I was a kid I thought that blackbelts were awesome fighters who're able to walk on water. Plus at my club it took forever to get from 1 kup to the next, coz our coach didn't want his school to be a blackbelts factory. When I got back to Taekwondo I had learned how easy it can be to get one and also how fast you an get a black belt. Two to three years to 1st Dan? Took me 9 months to get to 9th Kup...

Anyway, I wish I had gotten my 1st Poom or Dan in the 90s though - could have taken the Skip Dan test then. ^^

The belt or rank doesn't mean that much anyway. If somebody's skills and behavior match his belt/rank then that's awesome, if they surpass the belt/rank then that's even better.

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before you can run a marathon, you must first learn to run, before you run, you jog, before you jog, you walk, before you walk, you stand, before you stand, you kneel, or crawl, before this you flopped about, and before that you layed still, as like a limp noodle.

The day you entered this world you started a journey.

In time, you will gain perspective, and realize that you know very little and have much to learn. (We all do)

You say five years and you are not a beginner?
I have met men who have been martial artists for 80 years, and will admit they are still beginners.

Old men who were so fast that if they didn't leave a light mark upon you, you would have never known they struck you.

Old Men that by technique alone, and not strength, could cause my 230 lb frame to fly about fifteen feet when trying to grasp at the fabric of their dobak sleeve.

Old men who could strike pressure points with supreme accuracy. And leave your arm numb for two days.
When you become aware that such a man could indeed kill with such strikes. Your scope changes.

You are but a youth who has raced a race with other youths around a schoolyard, and this is the scope of your world, rare is a man who has walked the borders of his whole nation. Rarer still, a man who has compassed the borders of his continent.

In time you will be staggered with how much there is to learn, that you never knew existed. Or to learn what what it really means to "know".

And like the layers of an onion, you will reach more zeniths on your journey. Which will humble you.

My words alone cannot reveal the truth of this matter. You must experience it.

And I have already said too much.

The truth is none of us are qualified. Certificates, and colored belts, notwithstanding..... Real Art is nothing more then one poor begger showing another begger where the food is.
I think you misunderstood me. When I saidI 5 years, I meant that is when I earned my BB. That was about 35 years ago.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Immediately afterward? I was like "that's it?? Let's spar more!" and then maybe 10 minutes later the adrenaline/endorphines dropped and I was totally wiped out. Which of course was the moment GM wanted to take my photo for Kukkiwon, so on my card I look half dead and really sweaty, haha.

Later on, I was proud of the accomplishment, but also.... surprised at how much more there was to learn and improve. It's like the saying goes, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was very proud to receive my 1st dan. I am currently a 3rd dan and I noticed the subsequent tests meant far less to me. I tested for my 2nd dan maybe 2 years after recieving my 1st. I tested for my 3rd dan about 7 years after receiving my second and only after my instructor encouraged me to test.

I am far more interested in being a better martial artist than having rank.