What does a black belt look like?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A bb or any belt for that matter really means nothing, when you get down to the bottom line.

I agree. They are entirely artificial, arbitrary and useless ranking structures.

However, their entire purpose is to separate people into ranks which are (theoretically) better or worse than others. A black belt is better than a brown belt. A brown belt is worse than a black belt.

So, it is only natural that someone who has been awarded a black belt acts like they are better than someone in a brown belt. After all, they wouldn't have been given that black belt if they weren't, in fact, better.

Obviously, many times that isn't the case. I've known black belts who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and I've known white belts who could beat me like a drum.

But where those ranks are in place, and taken seriously by the organisation, it is only natural for the higher ranked students to act as if they are better than the lower ranked ones. Thats what the ranks are for, after all. To let everyone know who is better than who.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And training with them keeps your ego in check, it's just that some people have a blind spot in recgonizing that fact :asian:

Just to add onto that. I remember when I started grappling. Thought I was progressing nicely, learning alot. There was this other fellow at the school. His name was Tim. We were good friends, hung out all the time, worked out outside of the school. He was shorter than I, by a few inches, but heavier and with a stocky build. He wrestled in high school and in college. One day after class, he asked me if I had some time to workout. I did, so said yes. He asked if there was anything that I wanted to do. Figuring we had just spent an entire class on stand up stuff, I said, lets do some light grappling. Needless to say, by the end of the session, I realized I didn't know as much grappling as I thought. :) On the other hand, working out with him, helped improve my ground game.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. They are entirely artificial, arbitrary and useless ranking structures.

However, their entire purpose is to separate people into ranks which are (theoretically) better or worse than others. A black belt is better than a brown belt. A brown belt is worse than a black belt.

So, it is only natural that someone who has been awarded a black belt acts like they are better than someone in a brown belt. After all, they wouldn't have been given that black belt if they weren't, in fact, better.

Obviously, many times that isn't the case. I've known black belts who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and I've known white belts who could beat me like a drum.

But where those ranks are in place, and taken seriously by the organisation, it is only natural for the higher ranked students to act as if they are better than the lower ranked ones. Thats what the ranks are for, after all. To let everyone know who is better than who.

Point taken. :) I guess this is where my thinking was coming from though. As you said, in theory, one would think that the upper rank should/would be better. However, as you clearly pointed out, thats not the case. For me, I'd rather keep the ego in check, knowing that the scenario may not be that perfect. How disappointing is it for someone whos cocky to get slapped down compared to someone who keeps his ego in check, and even if he does get slapped down, by an under belt, chalks it to a learning experience.

Just my .02 :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? I was a brown belt one day and when I wrapped my black belt around my waist the first time I was imbued with the essense of my art, and became enlightened and maginificent, the wisdome of the ages flowing through me, and the understanding of all the secrets of my art suddenly revealed to me :uhyeah:
:lol: Good one. :D

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to rag on the black belts out there but before I started my MA training I thought the black belt was the be all end all. These imposing figures with a badass attitude and the skill and physical endurance to back it up.

Since Ive been training Ive only trained with 2 black belts both are my instructors (1 head and 1 assistant). Both these people are down to earth and by looking at them one would never expect that they hold BB's. They are the nicest people ever and are willing to help me when ever I need them to. Far from what I thought they would act before I started training

B

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not to rag on the black belts out there but before I started my MA training I thought the black belt was the be all end all. These imposing figures with a badass attitude and the skill and physical endurance to back it up.

Since Ive been training Ive only trained with 2 black belts both are my instructors (1 head and 1 assistant). Both these people are down to earth and by looking at them one would never expect that they hold BB's. They are the nicest people ever and are willing to help me when ever I need them to. Far from what I thought they would act before I started training

B

In a perfect world, all Black Belts would be like that. Count yourself lucky to have found 2 worthwhile sensei.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was a brown belt at one time too, and was on cloud 9 when I put on that black belt. Like I said, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be proud, happy, etc., but it all comes down to how you carry yourself. Theres always someone better out there. :)

Right, there's always one better! But I still think that its a big responsibility to train as a Black Belt Student. That is why so many people resist going for that rank, and are apprehensive. I was. Gone are the days of wondering if you should be able to do some technique. No. Now, you must try hard, and succeed. If you don't do the technique, it is a shame!

So, it was hard to come back and still be a BB, but my Master Instructor said it was okay, and that is what I do, even though my kicks are not good yet. I will keep on, and they will come back. They are in my head, you see, but my body will follow soon. That is the plan!

Also, no one likes to see an arrogant person, but confidence in these techniques is important! No double thinking, no hesitation. No. The Black Belt student should be confident and move that way. That is how I think.

And training with them keeps your ego in check, it's just that some people have a blind spot in recgonizing that fact :asian:

Training with better students and Instructors DOES keep the ego in check. The ego will not die. No. The only ones without this ego are gurus. They are few and far between. This is what it is to be a human being, to have an ego that will rise up! It is to be expected. And then some failure comes to me, and reminds me that I am not so special at all. I have to practice harder!

He carries himself very confidently (almost cocky to those that don't know him) as if he was an actor in a gangster film, sometimes.
This is a beautiful thing! I have seen Masters (not just Black Belt Students) who are this way! And it is nice to see this. No one wants to see a weak Instructor. They should be strong like this, and the students will then also want to become strong!

This is a very good discussion.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In good Black Belt's there is a confidence in themselves and thier skill that is so vibrant anyone can see it, and it carries over whether or not they are in a gi.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've known black belts who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and I've known white belts who could beat me like a drum.
Ain't it the truth. :D Three of my martial mentors never studied a day in the MA's, the other is a true 10th degree; 70 years old and he moves like he's 20.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

B

I'll bet if you watched them walk through a crowd you would instantly be able to tell they that they move differently. People who don't do MA are shocked when they find out that I have a BB. People who are in MA don't even need to ask, other than "which art?"

It's not about proving anything to others, it's about being relaxed in your own confidence. The most powerful people I have met, have no need to prove it to anyone.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

However, their entire purpose is to separate people into ranks which are (theoretically) better or worse than others.

I have to disagree with that. I think the belting system is really nothing more than a visible progress toward your goals.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that. I think the belting system is really nothing more than a visible progress toward your goals.

I believe that progress towards your goals should be visible enough through improved ability, conditioning and technique.

Latest Discussions