What do you value most in a leader?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iranian Embassy seige, Falkland Islands, slashing inflation from 22% to 4%, and of course, destroying the bloody God forsaken unions, who had held the country hostage for so long. Hmmm, poor decision maker? I don't think so!

All at the expense of the working classes and having a balanced economy - Londoners Financiers may have loved her, for creating the poorly regulated conditions that allowed them to rampage and trash the economy whilst getting very rich themselves ... the rest of us not so much. She is the background reason why working stiffs like me are worse off now than we were before Labour came to power.

Also, you might not like unions but that's because you're clearly a secret millionaire or like being taken advantage of or exfiltrated to America and have never needed the collective bargaining power that a union provides. I'd love to see my company allow a union again - that way I might not have seen a 30% drop in real wages over the past ten years.

And for the last time, Monetarism is thoroughly discredited - even Friedman himself admitted as much. Why that is relevant is because it is the foundation upon which Thatcherite decisions were made - as I said, noone gets off that hook.

Union is not an evil world, neither is Liberal. Treating them as if they were makes having a constructive conversation impossible.

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All at the expense of the working classes and having a balanced economy - Londoners Financiers may have loved her, for creating the poorly regulated conditions that allowed them to rampage and trash the economy whilst getting very rich themselves ... the rest of us not so much. She is the background reason why working stiffs like me are worse off now than we were before Labour came to power.

Also, you might not like unions but that's because you're clearly a secret millionaire or like being taken advantage of or exfiltrated to America and have never needed the collective bargaining power that a union provides. I'd love to see my company allow a union again - that way I might not have seen a 30% drop in real wages over the past ten years.

And for the last time, Monetarism is thoroughly discredited - even Friedman himself admitted as much. Why that is relevant is because it is the foundation upon which Thatcherite decisions were made - as I said, noone gets off that hook.

Union is not an evil world, neither is Liberal. Treating them as if they were makes having a constructive conversation impossible.

I think we're getting off the point Mark, but if you think decreasing inflation, destroying the union holds on society, increasing public services, allowing working class people to buy their own council houses and protecting the falklands are all examples of poor leadership, then I have to disagree!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, we are wandering off topic a bit, I concur, so I wont give a counter opinion on those things as that would derail us even more :).

On 'message', I didn't say they were examples of poor Leadership tho'. The point I was making, just using Thatcher and Major as illustrations, is that there is a difference between being a good Leader and being a good Decision Maker.

Most in the thread are amalgamating the two together, treating them as both being aspects of a Leader; which is something I can understand, it just means we are using the term Leader to cover a greater or lesser amount of 'ground'.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good leader in my opinion should know how to criticize without giving offense or arousing resentment. Also knowlege of being able to use authoritative discipline instead of punitive and being able to make it work.

I know of too many parents, including my own, that have kids even though they are baaaadly in need of leadership skills.

Latest Discussions