What do you do...

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you would do if you feel like your not getting enough out of your training class.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That leaves a lot of possibilities as to what the problem is. My first thought is to train harder between class sessions.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree it leaves a lot of possibilities - but while asking about training between classes is key, I would start by asking how hard you are training in class. As an instructor, I can give you difficult techniques, run a class designed to push you to your limits - but if you choose to do the minimum instead of pushing yourself, there's not much I can do about it. Even if I don't push students on a particular night, they can choose to push themselves - those are the students who get the most out of class.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try training harder and training more often.
I agree with this statement, there are lots of possibilities.

Are you not getting enough because you are being pushed? Or you arent understanding the material? Or maybe you are pushing yourself to hard? Give us a little more detail and we will try to help

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you would do if you feel like your not getting enough out of your training class.

IMO, I think that any time there is an issue with training, that its important to sit down and evaluate what the problem is.

As the others have said, this is a pretty open ended question. I'm guessing this is a problem that you're having in your classes? If so, perhaps somemore details would help us to help you. :)

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before I could give any advice that could help you I would need a better idea of what art you study and what you typically do in class and also why you think you are not getting enough out of that particular class.
icon6.gif

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree pretty open ended.

What are YOUR specific goals and expectations going into each class? No matter what the topic is, I always try to pick a specific goal that I want to work on in each class. Something that is specific, but that is general to be applied to whatever the topic is in class, so as not to conflict with the instructor's lesson. For example, I might want to focus on proper breathing, stances, relaxing or something else I could use more work on.

Maybe a sit down with the instructor and go over what your expectations are for your training and come up with a training schedule for you.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What don't you find satisfying in your classes? Is it the material itself? A lack of material? Lack of intensity?

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I really stop to think about it I guess its due to the fact that prior to my Kenpo training I took Okinawan Karate and class was two hours long one hour lots of technique and the next hour drills and katas. Now I have one hour with a student instructor that reports into our Sensei every fifteen minutes and I really just don't feel like I'm getting anything accomplished in that hour.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I really stop to think about it I guess its due to the fact that prior to my Kenpo training I took Okinawan Karate and class was two hours long one hour lots of technique and the next hour drills and katas. Now I have one hour with a student instructor that reports into our Sensei every fifteen minutes and I really just don't feel like I'm getting anything accomplished in that hour.

Did you just start this training? If so, then the above situation isn't too uncommon. It's not unusual for a senior student to give introductory lessons to new folks, and once they've had enough fundamental training, that they are ready to hit the main class, full speed. If this is the case, I'd give it a bit more time, to see if the sensei takes over your training.

If you've been with this training for a while, and if the student instructor isn't giving the appropriate level of instruction measured by your progress, then speak with your Sensei. This way, you'll find out exactly what to expect.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You will need to talk to your Head Instructor (NOT student Intructor).

Explain to him in PRIVATE, about your complaints...best to write it down on paper first. TO GET A CLEAR THOUGHT OF WHAT YOU WANT AND EXPECT. (nicely)

A one hour class needs to compress alot of materials vs a 2 hour class..

Plus coming from a higher intensity training to one that is less.....will always feel like NOT ENOUGH.

We notice that too going from Shotokan Karate to Kempo. Karate had more drills and lots of Kata's.

Kempo has less drills but more technical techniques, (stay with it and learn what you can......than later on ...if you decide...this is not what you want? ....MOVE ON...

Aloha, just my thoughts on this...best of luck to you!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You will need to talk to your Head Instructor (NOT student Intructor).
That is one of the best solutions to any problem like this.
Explain to the instructor your thoughts and feelings and seek a solution.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

That leaves a lot of possibilities as to what the problem is. My first thought is to train harder between class sessions.

Or during class...

Why don't you feel like you're not getting enough out of training? Are you not working out hard enough? Is the class to disorganized? Are you not interested or enjoying the material?

The response to being dissatisified with training depends largely on why you are unhappy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What style are you studying?

Are you in a beginner's class that you'll leave when you've learned enough to participate in the regular class?

I often delegate to senior students the responsibility for teaching the basic exercises to new students, and then correct and refine after I've gotten the full class started on an exercise.

Also -- what are you doing while the student teacher is conferring with the head instructor? Are you standing around, or are you practicing what was just taught to you? How long is he taking when he checks in?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

A few questions for you.

1) Is this a beginner, intermediate or advanced class you're in?

2) What rank is the student instructor?

2a) Is this student inst. new to teaching or has he been doing it for a while?

2b) Why is he reporting to the head inst. every 15 min?

3) Is the head inst. present during any portion of this class? If not, why?

4) Have you addressed any of these concerns with the head inst? If not, it may be a good idea to do so.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having heard your comments regarding your situation I think it would be best to talk to your Head Instructor as well and figure out a plan for your training.

Latest Discussions