What do we all have in common?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lately you all have noticed threads about Honk if you like MT, etc. The overwhelming response to those threads both publicly and privately really made me reflect on what a fantastic site this really is and made me realise that while we all train for different reasons, in different Arts and for different goals we really are more alike then sometimes we take the time to notice.

So, I ask this question of all of you. In your opinion what is it we all have in common as martial artists. I think it is time to reflect on our sameness as opposed to our differences. We have common ground and threads that make us who we are. What is it that we all share?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Lately you all have noticed threads about Honk if you like MT, etc. The overwhelming response to those threads both publicly and privately really made me reflect on what a fantastic site this really is and made me realise that while we all train for different reasons, in different Arts and for different goals we really are more alike then sometimes we take the time to notice.

So, I ask this question of all of you. In your opinion what is it we all have in common as martial artists. I think it is time to reflect on our sameness as opposed to our differences. We have common ground and threads that make us who we are. What is it that we all share?

I have to restrain myself from saying something like, "The desire to either inflict or absorb physical abuse.":)

I'd say that we all, in part, enjoy the physical exercise that we can't get any other way. I couldn't imagine playing basketball 3-4 days a week. But I love doing MA. There is also the connection it brings between folks who participate. If I talk to someone while doing business & find out they train, there is an instant repoir (sp?) even if we train in different arts. We train. Basketbal players probably don't get why we do it. But other MA-ists do.

Just a few thoughts.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One thing that came to my mind is..."We all like to chat?" ..also if we all show up at one place....we would all be friends? ...or enjoy the fights.....just kidding. ...Aloha

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though we all train in different arts and styles , we all seem to have a sense of respect for each other's way of doing things. It is not just physical exercise, more like a thinking persons exercise because your intellect is challenged too, and it is exciting to think that there are so many ways (arts) of acheiving the same end goal. You do feel a bond with all martial artists. We are all striving to be the best we can be and doing in in so many diverse and different ways.:asian:

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, One thing that came to my mind is..."We all like to chat?" ..also if we all show up at one place....we would all be friends? ...or enjoy the fights.....just kidding. ...Aloha

Lisa's question is simple and complicated. i guess we all like martial arts!! that's what's common....

yeah, you are right about 'we all like to chat'... if you look at threads with religion/politics you will find pages and pages of posts. but if you look at MA technicalities you will find 1 or 2 pages of posts.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
Lisa's question is simple and complicated. i guess we all like martial arts!! that's what's common....

yeah, you are right about 'we all like to chat'... if you look at threads with religion/politics you will find pages and pages of posts. but if you look at MA technicalities you will find 1 or 2 pages of posts.

so could it be said then that MAists are politically/religiously driven or just opinionated? ;)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
so could it be said then that MAists are politically/religiously driven or just opinionated? ;)
you are pushing me to what I did not want to say!

it means that MAists have no lives it seems :(
or maybe they became MAists because they did not have lives to start with! :D

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
donna said:
Even though we all train in different arts and styles , we all seem to have a sense of respect for each other's way of doing things. It is not just physical exercise, more like a thinking persons exercise because your intellect is challenged too, and it is exciting to think that there are so many ways (arts) of acheiving the same end goal. You do feel a bond with all martial artists. We are all striving to be the best we can be and doing in in so many diverse and different ways.:asian:

I think the respect for the different styles is evident here, but I've seen many other forumns where competition between the different styles gets out of control. MT seems to have collected a group of people who are generally friendly and love martial arts. Respect is usually one of the tenets that all styles emphasize, MT has managed to to keep that true out not only in the dojo but online.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ChrisWTK said:
I think the respect for the different styles is evident here, but I've seen many other forumns where competition between the different styles gets out of control. MT seems to have collected a group of people who are generally friendly and love martial arts. Respect is usually one of the tenets that all styles emphasize, MT has managed to to keep that true out not only in the dojo but online.

I think this statements best sums up the difference between this board and others. We, as a whole aren't concerned with who's art is better, but more how does it work and what make it work for you. Kudos, ChrisWTK!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I think this statements best sums up the difference between this board and others. We, as a whole aren't concerned with who's art is better, but more how does it work and what make it work for you. Kudos, ChrisWTK!
yep.. you're right
as long as you admin kung fu is the best

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
We all want to learn, no matter what our goals are, we want to learn and become good at something!

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Great thread Lisa. It's nice you're trying to bring accord. There are a few sad souls recently whose apparent motivations seem to run contrary to that. So kudos for trying to make the connections instead of breaking them!

I would very much agree with the here to learn sentiment. It's a testament to MT members that there's so little disruption to the genuine debate and discussion. And I think that's because we're here to listen and we're here to learn.

If we were here to brag and posture and seek to draw attention to how very tough or how very clever we are, then I think we'd be like the myriad other space-wasting boards crammed with talkers and fools.

Practicing a martial art does not always make one a genuine martial artist. But I have to say, I've never encountered anything like the level of openness to listening and learning anywhere else outside of the MT membership. Genuine martial artists every one.

Respects!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
I've never encountered anything like the level of openness to listening and learning anywhere else outside of the MT membership. Genuine martial artists every one.

Absolutely right! Like mantis...
mantis said:
yep.. you're right
as long as you admin kung fu is the best

But of course! It's the very foundation we speak of... :wink2:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe as Marial Artist we all agreed to leave those big ego's at the check in and just try and learn from each other with an open mind.
Terry

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To better ourselves. IMO, you can't train without becoming a better and different person you were before you started training. Better in the sense of discovering new aspects of yourself which is a fantastic result of training. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The desire to push our bodies and minds to the max...I'll go with that because IcemanSK beat me to what I was gonna write..

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Great thread Lisa. It's nice you're trying to bring accord. There are a few sad souls recently whose apparent motivations seem to run contrary to that. So kudos for trying to make the connections instead of breaking them!

Thank you for the compliment MI. I just hoping to list our commonalities instead of our differences. I believe every person that seeks out or has sought out a martial art have a lot of things in common.

I would very much agree with the here to learn sentiment. It's a testament to MT members that there's so little disruption to the genuine debate and discussion. And I think that's because we're here to listen and we're here to learn.

Agreed. Seems to me that the majority of MT members are here for the betterment of their art and not to show up another art. We seem to be able to come to some common ground. Take a look at the diverse Martial Artists that post in forums in which they don't even train. They post with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

If we were here to brag and posture and seek to draw attention to how very tough or how very clever we are, then I think we'd be like the myriad other space-wasting boards crammed with talkers and fools.

I give a lot of credit to the vision of Bob Hubbard and his guidance to bringing all MAist together on common ground. His staff is top notch too, if I do say so myself ;)

Practicing a martial art does not always make one a genuine martial artist. But I have to say, I've never encountered anything like the level of openness to listening and learning anywhere else outside of the MT membership. Genuine martial artists every one.

Respects!

Here you and I may respectfully disagree, depending of course on what your version of "genuine" is. :) I believe every person who seeks out an art to improve themselves and learn is a genuine martial artist. But that is just my humble opinion.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I think the word is passionate or just driven, self-motivated or MAists wouldn't let any bump in the road deter them from their passion or opinion. Or they will use that bump to reflect or reevaluate their plan, goals or viewpoint. Maybe that is why just a few percent get to black belt. I've seen too many quit for the first reason they could convince themselves. How many black belts said it was easy?

What we all have in common?

I would think are commonality is that we are all human, that we all make mistakes, therefore humility is a sign of a good martial artist, not to mention any person. And that we all have the capacity for compassion toward each other. This compassion--kindness-- should be part of how we deal with each other in every opinion and along the road of our passion. TW

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I give a lot of credit to the vision of Bob Hubbard and his guidance to bringing all MAist together on common ground. His staff is top notch too, if I do say so myself ;)
It's easy to walk on past this fact. I have seen boards where the staff and owners are party to some fairly personal attacks, brutal posturing and egotism. Without wanting to sound like a suckup, there's a pretty cool laissez-faire thing going on here in MT that steers the various little boats using the current rather than yanking the wheel out of the hands of the various captains :)

Lisa said:
Here you and I may respectfully disagree, depending of course on what your version of "genuine" is. :) I believe every person who seeks out an art to improve themselves and learn is a genuine martial artist. But that is just my humble opinion.
No, if you'll allow me, I think we do agree. I have seen plenty who do their martial art either as a "ritual" [it's something they just do twice a week because that's how it is] and there are also those who practice their MA to be the baddest there is, which is a particular problem in my part of the world. Expending effort and being conscientious in one's MA *with these particular intents* imHo, does not make one a genuine martial artist but rather highlights deficiencies elsewhere in the practitioners lives.

Likewise here on this board, there are some, it would seem to me, who stir up the waters for no other reason than self-aggrandization. There is no genuine MA intent in that. And maybe there's no claim of it, but unfortunately those with the biggest most attention-seeking egos and buoyed up voices are those with the least of any worth to offer. Anyway, sorry - off the soapbox, hehe.

But we are agreed I think? That that ANYONE who works their art *with a genuine intent* is undoubtedly a genuine martial artist. I'll happily discuss what constitutes a genuine martial intent with anyone.

Respects!

Latest Discussions