What defines a "good" or "bad" technique in your martial art?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a formal technique, an entry can be a few moves. That's not meant (IMO) to suggest that's actually what you'd choose to do in a fight. It's meant to get you to where the technique is available, so you can practice the finish. The rest is training you for transitions.

Or, if you prefer (and some instructors do), the rest is just there to set up the technique, because it's situational and you have to get to that point somehow. In the chaos of a fight, the idea is that you're learning to recognize that point where you can actually deploy the technique, rather than necessarily learning how to get to that point.

Neither. You're responding as if I'm suggesting those long sets of movement are recommendations. My point was actually that they aren't.
so its a tabgent then

you don't get points of entry long or short when you under attack,

my point which I still have no idea if your contesting or not, is: if your in position to deliver an elbow to the face, which is one movement, then to choose to do any other technique,tha, has either more movements or is less damaging is fool hardy.

if your not in a position to hit them with an elbow because they are to far away, then your not under attack, if the elbow doesnt work as there hands are in the way, then hit them with a knee, also one movement, though commonly less damaging

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so its a tabgent then

you don't get points of entry long or short when you under attack,

my point which I still have no idea if your contesting or not, is: if your in position to deliver an elbow to the face, which is one movement, then to choose to do any other technique,tha, has either more movements or is less damaging is fool hardy.

if your not in a position to hit them with an elbow because they are to far away, then your not under attack, if the elbow doesnt work as there hands are in the way, then hit them with a knee, also one movement, though commonly less damaging
Not a tangent - you just don't understand it.

And you can't be under attack beyond elbow-distance? That's an interesting concept. And a bit of a tangent.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a tangent - you just don't understand it.

And you can't be under attack beyond elbow-distance? That's an interesting concept. And a bit of a tangent.
if they are in range to hit you, there in range for an elbow, the step forward andswing are done as one movement

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first sensei taught me to "Never punch a puncher, never kick a kicker and never grapple a grappler." If he wants to fight a certain way, he is probably good at that way of fighting. Make him do something else, preferably something he doesn't want to do.
I can get behind that. Basic tactics, often overlooked. Find a wekness in the other's game and exploit it.

Latest Discussions