What cane tip is better for self defense?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

I have been debating about choosing the foot of the cane for self defense. Right now, I emphasize on striking which is swinging the cane to hit. I choose a hard rubber boot that is wide and weight 2/3oz to give a little tip heavy to the cane so I have more power when hitting the target.

I was on another thread and was suggested that THRUSTING is just as effective as striking by swinging. But here is the dilemma. For striking, you want more tip heavy, for thrusting(poking), you want the tip to be smaller and has smaller surface area to create more pressure at the point of contact. They are opposite to each other. I want to know opinion which way the tip should be. Here is the picture of both extreme, one has a wide hard rubber foot, the other has not foot, just a thin pad to get traction on the ground.
Cane tip.jpg

Obviously the one with no foot has much smaller surface area and create higher pressure in thrusting. But then it doesn't have the weight of the hard rubber foot to create more momentum when swinging. The one with hard rubber foot will hit harder on swinging but less pressure on thrusting. So which way should I go?

This might sound trivial, but the surface area of the one without the foot is less than half the area of the rubber foot. Also, the tip is a lot harder than the rubber foot as there's only a very thin layer of rubber on the tip for traction.

Thanks

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
None of them.

You should dump all of these and get some solid, combat grade wooden sticks.

I can hook you up with a supplier.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
None of them.

You should dump all of these and get some solid, combat grade wooden sticks.

I can hook you up with a supplier.
My canes are fiber filled Nylon, a whole lot stronger than any wood cane. It is heavier also, cutting to 31" and still 20oz. I swing with both hands.

UnitedCutlery.Com: Night Watchman Premium Adjustable Walking Cane - UC3129

United Cutlery.jpg

I cut the sharp hook off to make it look tame. Don't let the rubber foot fool you to think it is soft, it is not rubber, must be sort of polyurethane, it's not even that sticky to the ground, it's quite slippery, not good for real walking use. You can't even buy the foot at all. I am short of 2 and I went all over the place and nothing is that hard. Even join a walking cane forum and ask. Finally have to go back to United Cutlery and bag them to order for me, no reply yet.

I bought a wood cane before, did not even last one minute before breaking into two hitting the heavy bag. This lasted 9 months!!! i have so many canes it's not funny:
Cane collection.jpg

This is an old picture, I bought like 6 more since.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's why wood is a better choice. More natural, less conspicuous.

Better looking, above all.
I don't care about the look, it has to survive hitting the heavy bag. I don't trust wood cane at all.

Actually, the hardest one is the Cold Steel City stick in the picture. It's very nice looking with silver knob and the end. I change to an ordinary handle so it doesn't stand out. It's the most expensive at $79 also.

Look at how strong it is also.Problem is it's too thin and too light, I like the United Cutlery after a lot of selections. No, wood cane is totally out for me. I even rather have the rattan canes I have in the picture. Those rattan are burned, with skin and 1.1" thick. It is hard and very durable, nothing like wood.

Let's get back to the cane tip.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't care about the look, it has to survive hitting the heavy bag. I don't trust wood cane at all.

Actually, the hardest one is the Cold Steel City stick in the picture. It's very nice looking with silver knob and the end. I change to an ordinary handle so it doesn't stand out. It's the most expensive at $79 also.

Look at how strong it is also.Problem is it's too thin and too light, I like the United Cutlery after a lot of selections. No, wood cane is totally out for me. I even rather have the rattan canes I have in the picture. Those rattan are burned, with skin and 1.1" thick. It is hard and very durable, nothing like wood.

Let's get back to the cane tip.
This may shock you but rattan....is wood.

And proper wooden combat staves are hard and durable too. Rattan And they are fine on a heavy bag.

And perfect for self defense purposes. And prettier.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This may shock you but rattan....is wood.

And proper wooden combat staves are hard and durable too. Rattan And they are fine on a heavy bag.

And perfect for self defense purposes. And prettier.
That's the not subject. I want to get back to my question.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess my bottom line question is I want to hear from people whether it is more effective to swing and strike compare to thrusting in fighting. That give me an idea whether to favor thrusting or striking.

I did a lot of research on canes already, I don't think there is anything new I have not seen, including Ka-Bar and another aluminum cane that are really heavy duty. This is NOT the subject.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess my bottom line question is I want to hear from people whether it is more effective to swing and strike compare to thrusting in fighting. That give me an idea whether to favor thrusting or striking.
Well the answer to that question is both are about equally effective. All the staff forms I train use both interchangeably.

Also why many staff forms are the base for both spear training as well as things like halberds, monk spade, gwan do.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well the answer to that question is both are about equally effective. All the staff forms I train use both interchangeably.

Also why many staff forms are the base for both spear training as well as things like halberds, monk spade, gwan do.
I guess I keep thinking striking is more effective and most of my practice is striking, not thrusting. Have no or a small foot, sacrifice some striking force for poking better.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would go with a really minimal rubber foot, basically a rubber washer to your cane to give it traction on a surface. It won't impede thrusting at all. You shouldn't need the added weight of the rubber cap to aid in your strikes.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would go with a really minimal rubber foot, basically a rubber washer to your cane to give it traction on a surface. It won't impede thrusting at all. You shouldn't need the added weight of the rubber cap to aid in your strikes.
That might solve a lot of problem. I actually grind down two of the hard rubber foot that came with the cane to smaller size to reduce weight. I thought that was a mistake and went all over the place to try to buy new hard rubber foots. For the life of me, I just cannot find any. I contacted United Cutlery and they don't have spare. I even join a walking cane forum to see whether they know any, no luck. I even went back to United cutlery and bag them to order some and they didn't even reply.

Maybe the two that I grind down is NOT a waste after all. Maybe that's just what the doctor's order!!!

Cane tip.jpg

See the middle one? I took the hard rubber foot like the one at the bottom and grind it down. Still very hard. :D

These foots are so hard it doesn't even give good traction. I don't use the cane for walking anyway. In fact I carry it in my hand without even touching the ground. It's kind of politely say "don't tread on me". Hey, if I can prevent an attack, that's the best self defense!!!

Ha ha, when comes to canes, I am OCD. I have like 9 of the United Cutlery Night Watchman can cut to different length like 1/2" difference, trying out different foots and all that. Spent a lot of time researching into what is available on the market. The only other one Is either the Ka-Bar and another place that sell a little lighter one made of aluminum. Those are very expensive, one is like over $200. I decided not to get those because it won't past the metal detector, and it's suspicious to have such a heavy metal cane for walking!!!

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The foot with spike arrived just on time. Here's the picture:

Cane foot with spike.jpg

It's disappointing. It doesn't fit that well, it's just like an accordion that expand and fit over the cane. I don't think it's that secure. I am not sure it will stay put if you strike. It's very cheaply made. The material is not even as hard as the foot came with the United Cutlery shown in the middle. I don't think the spike is held very secure. More importantly, you can't have the spike out all the time, it will scratch up the floor. It's too much trouble to pull it out when needed.

Here is the picture to show how the accordion like upper skirt to hold onto the stick, it's so soft you can pull the foot off the cane easily. I bet if you swing hard, it might fly off without even hitting anything. You can see I can expand the skirt just by sticking my two fingers in. That's how flimsy it is.

Spike foot.jpg

Another $20 wasted. I wasted quite a bit of money like that. Things sound promise and turn out to be a dud a lot. You never know until you buy it.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive got to be honest, I think you are tinkering with things that are likely to get you into trouble if you actually use them on someone. This thread kinda smacks of paranoia.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ive got to be honest, I think you are tinkering with things that are likely to get you into trouble if you actually use them on someone. This thread kinda smacks of paranoia.
Not if I just keep it normal tip, either no foot or the original hard rubber foot grinding down thin. The one with spike is out already.

Latest Discussions